Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #12,077 of 18,459

Quote:
Very close the same in reality.  In an extreme near-field and enclosed environment, I suspect there's not a significant sonic difference.  That's what I observe with my two pair, old and new..

I agree, they're not too much different.  My experience is that it's not the geometry, but the seal and amount of absorption/reflectivity the pads have that an change things up considerably.

Quote:
Same here. However, that FR graph still has a gradual shelf of almost 10dB between 1 and 3 kHz, and nowhere is the treble higher than the 1
KHz level. Not rolled off, but far from hot in the treble.

I don't hear my new one as "hot" or "rolled off." I hear it as damn near perfect.  :)

Kinda measures that way too.  Measurements will be up soon.

May 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #12,078 of 18,459
Yip, that's how I personally hear it too. The reason I listen so much with the LCD-2 is they have the ideal tonal balance for me.

May 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #12,079 of 18,459
One of the things I've been wanting to do is make a little gray swath in the background of the graphs that roughly indicates what flat is ... but I've never really had a headphone that I think nailed it well enough to know where to draw the lines.  

I just might now. 

May 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #12,080 of 18,459
Even better, IMO, would be to "zero out" the graph using the LCD-2 as flat.  Like the way you zero out a scale before using it so that you are not weighing the dirt in the unit as well as whatever item you're trying to weigh.  This way, any dips or peaks would actually be perceived deviations from a perceived flat response, and you wouldn't have to interpret them. 

Since some people like the DF kind of signature as well (which I find to be highly colored towards bass light and treble happy) it could also be cool to be able to calibrate a headphone's graph to various reference points.  Mr Green could zero it out using the ER4s, and see how headphones deviate from what he perceives to be flat.  Others could use the LCD-2.  Maybe the HD800 or HE6 could be another. 

Just something I was thinking about.  The software to make that happen might be kind of tricky. 

May 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #12,081 of 18,459

Quote:
I agree, they're not too much different.  My experience is that it's not the geometry, but the seal and amount of absorption/reflectivity the pads have that an change things up considerably.

I don't hear my new one as "hot" or "rolled off." I hear it as damn near perfect.  :)

Kinda measures that way too.  Measurements will be up soon.

How about putting the new pads on the old pair and check?

May 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #12,082 of 18,459

Quote:
One of the things I've been wanting to do is make a little gray swath in the background of the graphs that roughly indicates what flat is ... but I've never really had a headphone that I think nailed it well enough to know where to draw the lines.  

I just might now. 

Nice idea!

May 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #12,083 of 18,459

Quote:

Tyll - can you listen to a good recording of violin music or brass instrument music on the LCD-2 and another pair of high-end headphones such as the HE-6, HD800, T1, or SR-007 and compare the detail resolution?

Whenever I read praise here for the LCD-2, I try them again to see if I missed something last time, and I just don't get the detail on acoustic classical music that I get with other headphones as well as speakers. I don't know if it's the shelved treble or something else, but it's a very obvious deficiency based on my listening.

May 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #12,084 of 18,459

Quote:
Even better, IMO, would be to "zero out" the graph using the LCD-2 as flat. ..... Mr Green could zero it out using the ER4s, and see how headphones deviate from what he perceives to be flat.  Others could use the LCD-2.  Maybe the HD800 or HE6 could be another. 

Just something I was thinking about.  The software to make that happen might be kind of tricky. 

We're actually working on just that.

Quote:
How about putting the new pads on the old pair and check?

They're glued on or I would.  After I do the official listening for the review, I might give it a go.

Quote:

Tyll - can you listen to a good recording of violin music or brass instrument music on the LCD-2 and another pair of high-end headphones such as the HE-6, HD800, T1, or SR-007 and compare the detail resolution?

Whenever I read praise here for the LCD-2, I try them again to see if I missed something last time, and I just don't get the detail on acoustic classical music that I get with other headphones as well as speakers. I don't know if it's the shelved treble or something else, but it's a very obvious deficiency based on my listening.

I heard just that until I got the new ones. 

May 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #12,085 of 18,459

Quote:

What the LCD2 don't do is add an upper-trebble hump that is often mistaken for detail. 

May 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #12,086 of 18,459
Frequency graphs only detail the intensity that the headphones produce at each frequency, not the detail, the quality or the nuance.  Although the LCD-2s likely have much less bass than, let's say, a pair of Beats, there is a world of difference in the texture and quality.
P.S.  That comparison software shouldn't be too hard.  Create a function for each headphone being compared, graph both of them over the interval between 10 hz to 20khz and find the integral of the difference between their functions.  Then you have the difference between them.

May 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #12,089 of 18,459
Quote:
Does anyone know when the pads changed?

This might be helpful to you: http://www.audeze.com/2011/02/pads-frequency-response-and-other-things/

EDIT: Also rather than people speculating about driver changes/modifications, why doesn't someone actually ask Audeze and get confirmation either way? Personally I'd be very surprised if there had been a change.

May 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #12,090 of 18,459

Quote:
It might, certainly.

Here's some pix:

Is the new one on the left or the right? I'm assuming the left but please correct me if I'm in the wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back