Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #10,381 of 18,459

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/10350#post_7354110

I was referring to you quoting someone else who said it needed a bright amp, not that you said that yourself. sorry for the confusion

Thanks, you had me worried there for a minute!  I thought I was loosing it!  
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #10,383 of 18,459

Quote:
As an RWA + LCD2 owner I wouldn't really characterize the sound as a "departure from neutrality." Instead, if I had to summarize, I'd say that the RWA is wonderfully musical without having the loss of detail that one usually expects with more laid-back sounding amp/dacs. For me personally, the RWA + LCD2 pairing is about musical enjoyment first and foremost.

Before shelling out that kind of money I'd really suggest you make an effort to get out and listen to other amps and discover what you like/don't like about how they pair with the LCD2s. Once you know what you'd like your ideal LCD2 amp to sound like it's a lot easier to recommend an amp that fits those tastes.  I found that the RWA/LCD2 happened to be a great match for what I was looking for out of my "rig." As we all have our own personal tastes when it comes to sound, what works for me may or may not work for you.

Couldn't agree more! The only pairing I've heard with the LCD2 that bested the Isabellina HPA is the Liquid Fire, but everyone to their own kick. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #10,384 of 18,459
Well my first day impressions:

1) Adjusting the headband - One of the slotted set screws had thread locker smack dab in the middle of the threads so it was damn near impossible to loosen.  Despite the use of my specialty $25 mini screw driver I still managed to strip the head!

2) Office Setup - This one was fun.  I get to work today excited to hear the LCD 2 on my office setup and the left channel is not working.  I was tweaking things all day blaming falsely my audio-gd DI.  I get home and learn that it's actually the LCD-2 cable at fault!  Seems like a cold joint somewhere either on the mini XLR or at the 1/4" connector.

I loosened it all up and seems to be playing both channels again but I reached out to Audeze about both issues (separately).  Alex already wrote back about the screw issue and my fingers are crossed on the cable otherwise looks like I'm in for a re-solder job.

Really pleased with the out of the box sound though!  We'll see about burn in but it's already so damn good.

PS the packaging job.  My god these things were covered in every way shape and form in terms of shrink wrap, bubble wrap, etc.  Took me at least half an hour to free the headphones from it all!

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #10,386 of 18,459
Hello Mike,

Think I'll try it out because I have some other  leather stuff too.  Did it remove the new leather smell?  If not I will try some of the "how to" tips while I wait for my Leather CPR.  Many seem to say diluted vinegar works.

Thanks for the input.
Go Lone Star

That's a tough question to answer on two counts - I'm not annoyed by the smell of new leather, and thus,I wasn't paying attention to the impact on smell made with my first application of Leather CPR. I didn't have the same goal as you, but I'd say it has to have some impact on the smell - just by coating the leather.

Good luck with it,

Mike

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #10,387 of 18,459
I asked Norse about the Norse cable. They replied saying that there is a 4-conductor cable and a 8-conductor cable. What's the difference? My tube amp is single ended so I won't need balanced at the other end.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #10,388 of 18,459

Quote:
I asked Norse about the Norse cable. They replied saying that there is a 4-conductor cable and a 8-conductor cable. What's the difference? My tube amp is single ended so I won't need balanced at the other end.

That's a four conductor difference. And I am not being an [Mod edit: Please don't swear, thanks] here. That's really the difference.

Up to you if you think the four conductors would be worth the extra bulk.... so far, no comparisons between the two, I think.... Am I wrong?

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #10,390 of 18,459
Just a bit confused but the LCD2 only has four connectors on each side? How would eight connectors fit in?

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #10,393 of 18,459

Quote:
So the four-connector one only has 2 connectors on each side? Would that make it even more inferior than the stock cable?

The connector has 4, but I believe that only 2 are used on each side.  The difference is whether you want 4 or 8 conductors in the wire itself but the connectors are wired the same for both (I'm pretty sure about this).  i have both cables but never really tried to test them against each other, plus one is balanced the other isn't so it isn't really apples to apples.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #10,394 of 18,459
The 4 pin mini xlr connectors that plug into the ear cups have pin-pairs wired in parallel inside the earcups thus doubling the contact area, and halving the contact resistance.

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #10,395 of 18,459
I see, thanks for the clarification, should have thought about it easy to have just buzzed it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back