Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #10,261 of 18,459
Running my mac/Pure Music/MFace/Burson 160D/LCD-2 and I have to say "revelation."  As an audio engineer, a (crappy) musician, and hyper-analytical about music and sound reproduction I have a set of material that I've used as design enjoyment, reference and testing for years, I can say that this rig truly plays details I've not heard on any other gear; the JH-16, the HD-650 or my tweaked T50rp.  

They clearly serve a totally different function than the JH-16, and when isolation and size are a priority, I've not heard better yet, but the LCD-2 rig just has a feel of tonal rightness, coupled with a presentation of effortless continuous extension yet integration of various frequencies, that I am experiencing some of my most interesting and demanding discs in a genuinely new light.

One listen to Nicola Hitchcock's "Passive Aggressive" was enough to convince me, I had no idea of the depth of production and nuance is in her work, and I literally have heard the album a hundred or more times.  When I switched to some 24/96 Keith Jarrett, I knew I'd come home.  The sense of "dark space" between the notes is realistic and natural, without any of that "What a great sound system" feel.  

Interestingly, the more I listen, the more I continue to hear as my ears adjust to the near-complete absence of grain.  It was rather hard for my ears (and brain) to get around just how low the distortion in these cans truly is.  The waterfall displays of time-domain response are really the most accurate representation of the sound; extremely flat, and blindly fast.  

</gush>

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 18, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #10,262 of 18,459

Quote:

For me it's a simple way to upgrade the SQ out of my Mac as a source without leaving the comfort of iTunes or making any changes to my library or even having to learn anything new.

Thanks for the link, I'm just adding it to Mac no. 2 of 3 now. I'm blown away with just the default settings so far. I can't wait to get into hog mode and memory play, as well as adding FLAC to my iTunes library, and upsampling!

The plug-in EQ is very useful also.  Just a touch of it tailored for each can / speakers can make a huge difference.

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #10,263 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
I thought I would write up some initial impressions of the lcd-2s after listening to them about 10 hours over the past two days.
Quality/Appearance: I go the lcd-2s in the travel case.

nice initial impressions - thanks for sharing. what is the travel case like? could you post (or link to) a picture? 

The travel case is nice. It is basically a pelican case if you have seen those before, although I think someone a few pages back said it was another brand. It has a nice Audeze logo on it and the foam is cutout so the headphone fits nice and snug. I would feel very comfortable taking the travel case on the road even if they got bumped around a bit. I might even be ok putting it in checked baggage when flying. I will post some pictures of mine when I get home this evening, but Audeze has some in their gallery I believe.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #10,264 of 18,459

Quote:
Question for those of you who recently paid. I know Audeze uses payapl but I've only used it from a seller standpoint on ebay. Do I have to transfer money in from my bank account or can I pay by credit card?

On another note. Audeze told me my pair will be ready Monday or Tuesday next week!

Eisenbart, if you ever feel curious about other amplification/source for your incoming LCD's feel free to contact me and we can set something up. I don't have a lot of gear, but do have a RWA Isabellina shipping as we speak (and a Headroom Ultra).

Anyways just a thought. Don't think there's many Headfi'ers in Wichita, or at least that make themselves known around the forum.
triportsad.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #10,266 of 18,459
Ugh, I finally got my confirmation last week, a few days after I had to cancel my card and order a new one. Now my new card is here, and PayPal rejects it when other things are accepting it just fine. I have never had a good experience with PayPal, it seems like they almost have an organized crime operation going on much of the time. Looks like I will need to get a friend to do the payment for me. I hope Audeze is patient for a few more days or however long it takes for the order to finally go through.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #10,267 of 18,459
Just received my LCD-2's. 
All the praise they are getting is well deserved.
Base extension is unbelievable. Detail in the highs is all there as far as I can tell. I thought the HD650's sounded good through my system. I can see why people state the HD650's have a "veil". You really don't know what you are missing until you try something better.
Anyways, back to the music.

Rumble

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #10,268 of 18,459

Quote:
Ugh, I finally got my confirmation last week, a few days after I had to cancel my card and order a new one. Now my new card is here, and PayPal rejects it when other things are accepting it just fine. I have never had a good experience with PayPal, it seems like they almost have an organized crime operation going on much of the time. Looks like I will need to get a friend to do the payment for me. I hope Audeze is patient for a few more days or however long it takes for the order to finally go through.

Before paypal verifies a card it makes 2 small charges to verify that it's a real card so it might take a day or two. You can also call them, although it takes a bit of digging on their website to find the customer service number. If it makes you feel better I waited 3 days after receiving the email that mine was ready before I paid.

As promised here are some photos of the travel case:

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #10,270 of 18,459
Mar 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #10,271 of 18,459

Quote:
Good eye! I knew something was different but never would have spotted that.

There is always something different. Until it's all perfect, I suppose. No details are the same compared to the first units shipped. Although, at the whole, they are just about identical.

I find it very impressive how they keep making things a tiny bit nicer, step by step, when everything was already great to begin with.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #10,272 of 18,459
Well Audez'e customer service continues to be outstanding.  I just got a replacement pair of LCD-2's.  Mine had a split in the wood which developed after a few months of use around the mini-xlr jack on one side.  When I contacted Audez'e they asked me to send them back and a couple weeks later I've got a brand-new pair, new serial number and all.  Somehow I expected a repaired version, not a whole new pair.

I definitely missed them while they were gone.  I spent less time listening to headphone music with my backup pair of Senn HD-600.  Spent a lot more time in front of speakers (Maggies) instead, working using a laptop computer rather than my desktop.  Not a bad change, but it's more convenient for me to work at a desk.  And the music via speakers is more visceral, but I missed the intimacy of great headphone sound.  Plus I have less self-discipline when I'm lounging In front of speakers.  I tend to lose track of my work and get sucked into the music, which hammers my productivity.  For whatever reason, that happens less when I'm at my desktop computer. Of course, I'm at my desk now, listening to the LCD-2's and lovin' every minute!  Currently I'm driving them directly from the 32-ohm outputs of a vintage Eico HF-81 integrated amp and a Squeezebox Touch as a source, with a borrowed Bel Canto DAC 1.5.  Margo Timmons of the Cowboy Junkies is sounding *right there* which is no bad thing.  Happy, happy.

My original pair came in October, and the new pair seem substantially different in some important ways.  I had a lot of hours on my originals, since I wear them all day while working on most days.  I remember they did have a pretty strong head-vise grip, which relented as the pads broke in, and became quite comfortable.  Also, I think the shape and alignment of the metal bracket for each ear cup is different.  The phones seem to fit more squarely on my head than the old ones did.  I can't hear any difference in the sound quality, not having them back-to-back.  Also, the ear pads seem softer, and more immediatly comfortable than the first pair I had.

I remain a committed customer, and happy that Audez'e stands behind their work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back