Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #1,816 of 18,459

Quote:
Ok..so maybe they don't sound like the HD650 as much anymore. They sound very well balanced out of the D10. In fact they sound the best so far out of the D10 and I know that's not even near it's full potential. I'm just bummed though..because I thought the m902 and Ear+ HD would be able to drive them adequately.
frown.gif
But when paired with them the imaging and tone seems off and sounds more closed in. The sound (when paired with D10) sure is addicting though..I can only imagine what they would sound like with a better matching amp. 

Hearing this makes me a bit worried. If I were to get them, who knows how well it would run out of a DV332 until I could upgrade to a WA6SE?
Dropping 1k on headphones (or anything really) is going to be tough for me.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #1,817 of 18,459
It doesn't really matter about you amp too much at this stage, the headphones are things that will always make the biggest difference in any system. The amp will drive them and can be upgraded at a later stage. I've been out and about with mine from my ipod and mini3 and it's still damn impressive.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #1,818 of 18,459

Quote:
Ok..so maybe they don't sound like the HD650 as much anymore. They sound very well balanced out of the D10. In fact they sound the best so far out of the D10 and I know that's not even near it's full potential. I'm just bummed though..because I thought the m902 and Ear+ HD would be able to drive them adequately.
frown.gif
But when paired with them the imaging and tone seems off and sounds more closed in. The sound (when paired with D10) sure is addicting though..I can only imagine what they would sound like with a better matching amp. 

Your findings is good for folks at large!! Not every amp is going to provide the maximum potential of these phones. I don't recommend SET's or op-amp based out of hand. SOME are up to the challenge with high output or above average power-supplies.

Look honestly at the gear you have! And seek advice.....

And "closed in" is EXACTLY what happens when an amp runs out of steam on these phones. When the Volume increases, what I hear is an opening of the sound-stage and movement closer to that stage...that is what they do (or suppose to do)!

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #1,819 of 18,459

Quote:
It doesn't really matter about you amp too much at this stage, the headphones are things that will always make the biggest difference in any system. The amp will drive them and can be upgraded at a later stage. I've been out and about with mine from my ipod and mini3 and it's still damn impressive.

I don't agree Mr. Smeggy.....I wouldn't want to buy something like this phone...and then have to spend more money later because I "have" too. I would have eyes wide open and evaluate my gear and spend money where necessary, because I would want too....

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #1,820 of 18,459
I have just reached the end of this thread. I feel exhausted. I look forward to seeing more impressions of these phones as people receive them. I have a couple of inane questions. I understand that the LCD-2's are big - they look enormous to me. Are they heavier than the HD800, T1 and PS1000? Can the LCD-2's be adequately driven directly from a Macbook Pro, CD player or stereo receiver? I do not have a dedicated headphone amplifier at this stage.  

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #1,821 of 18,459
You can find more info on the LCD-2 in the wikiphonia.
You need an adapter to connect it to a mac book pro, since it has a large stereo plug. I tried it through a headamp though, and the mac book pro soundcard didn't do justice to the LCD-2. The natural sounding instruments no longer sounded natural, and the mac added sibilance too. Headstage got less clear as well. (could have been the combination of the headamp and the mac... but the LCD-2 sounds fantastic from my Arcam CD player through that same headamp.)

Quote:
I have just reached the end of this thread. I feel exhausted. I look forward to seeing more impressions of these phones as people receive them. I have a couple of inane questions. I understand that the LCD-2's are big - they look enormous to me. Are they heavier than the HD800, T1 and PS1000? Can the LCD-2's be adequately driven directly from a Macbook Pro, CD player or stereo receiver? I do not have a dedicated headphone amplifier at this stage.  

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #1,822 of 18,459
I'm skeptical that any of those could drive the LCD-2 well, although I'm sure some CD players and Receivers have very nice headphone outs, so it would depend on what CD player or receiver. But the LCD-2 require really strong and high-quality amplification to deliver all they are capable of.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #1,824 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm skeptical that any of those could drive the LCD-2 well, although I'm sure some CD players and Receivers have very nice headphone outs, so it would depend on what CD player or receiver. But the LCD-2 require really strong and high-quality amplification to deliver all they are capable of.

I see. I was under the impression that they were relatively easy to drive. Presumably they would not be as easy to drive as the PS1000?

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #1,825 of 18,459

Quote:
I don't agree Mr. Smeggy.....I wouldn't want to buy something like this phone...and then have to spend more money later because I "have" too. I would have eyes wide open and evaluate my gear and spend money where necessary, because I would want too....

My point was that his current amp may well drive them fine and he might not have to upgrade at all if he chooses not to.  I don't know much about the DV range so I cannot say whether they'd make a good mating or not,  for all we know the DV might be a great pairing.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #1,826 of 18,459

Quote:

Receiver=probably
CD Player=maybe
Macbook Pro=doubtful

Adequate does not equal great. These are very revealing headphones, and good quality upstream equipment is essential. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,827 of 18,459
I would use a resistor network and run off the speaker terminals before I'd use a modern day receiver's headphone jack.  Most receiver headphone outputs are just crappy op-amp fed jacks.  My late-'80's Kenwood receiver's headphone jack is horrid, but the orthos sound ok off the speaker terminals.  Caddock MP-930s can be mounted directly to an aluminum enclosure like a small Hammond for heat sinking and they can handle plenty of power for the job.  $50-$75 invested and you have a top tier interface.  You can build it for far less and if you're careful, you might even be able to stuff the three 3W resistors in a Neutrik locking 1/4" TRS cable mounted jack with a length of Mogami and 4 spade or banana plugs at the ends.  I haven't tried it to see if they fit though, so fair warning. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #1,828 of 18,459
how and where do you install such resistors on a receiver? And then what kind of cable with headphone out do you connect to that?

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #1,829 of 18,459

Quote:
My point was that his current amp may well drive them fine and he might not have to upgrade at all if he chooses not to.  I don't know much about the DV range so I cannot say whether they'd make a good mating or not,  for all we know the DV might be a great pairing.

True Dat! I just feel the angst of persons when the latest acquisition doesn't meet the expectations. This thread (and others) wax prose on the merits of sound properties, and that's what folks expect when they purchase these phones. It's a means to a bitter end when the gear you have in place isn't sufficient. Disillusionment (of the whole) isn't far behind.... A hobby is supposed to bring enjoyment, not angst! 

Rob (Skylab) still has a DV 337 I think....?

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #1,830 of 18,459
so i just tried plugging it in directly to my 5th gen ipod video and it still sounds pretty impressive aside from a little graininess. i don't get it..it sounds better on portable sources than on full size amps. 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back