Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #4,351 of 13,139
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,353 of 13,139
This sounds more accurate. Website mistake probably.

I believe 600 gram is for Rosewood version, which is heavier.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #4,354 of 13,139
LCD2 has much more upper midrange than the HE-400.  The two aren't too dissimilar in the bass and lower midrange.  The Audeze is thicker/smoother/more congested whereas the HE-400 is thinner/more textured/rougher sounding.

I actually don't consider the LCD2 to be that much better than the HE-400 if you EQ the HE-400's obvious colorations away.  The LCD2 I heard was pre-fazor though, so fazor'd LCD2 might put it a little higher in sound quality.  Comfort will be even worse with the fazor though.

I couldn't disagree more. I think anyone who even thinks HE-400 bass is close to the LCD-2's needs a full psychiatric checkup :p. The only thing the HE does better is perceived speed.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #4,356 of 13,139
  That's a borderline fanboyish comment.  People love to hate on the HE-400 in general, but its bass is one of the best in the business.

Well, to be honest, I've tried couple orthodynamics on our last meet, and found all their bass almost equally good (few HE models, LCD-2/LCD-3 and some Fostex T50)..

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #4,357 of 13,139

Well, to be honest, I've tried couple orthodynamics on our last meet, and found all their bass almost equally good (few HE models, LCD-2/LCD-3 and some Fostex T50)..

My experience has been the same as well.  (Only T50rp mode I've tried was the Mad Dogs though and their bass quality was kind of rubbery-- if that makes sense.)

One seemingly similar trait I've found with all open planars though is that their bass impact isn't as hard-hitting as other dynamics (bass emphasized or not.)  

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,358 of 13,139
So I kinda liked how all HEs sounded, but the way they sat on my head/ears was really awkward, so I prefer my LCD-2 comfort hands down, despite the weight.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,359 of 13,139
LCD-2 comfort isn't great. But it's better than with Grados
gs1000.gif

The only problem I have with it is I can never get the two pads to feel the same around my ears, and it makes me OCD so I keep fidgeting them around. That's only because they're old and the pads are uneven. Also I'm not perfectly symmetrical. Bending them out so there's less clamping pressure helps, or keeping my glasses on so the pads stick to me less.

I have the headband shaped so it places even pressure across the top of my head. No pain or hotspots after a couple hours.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4,360 of 13,139
  That's a borderline fanboyish comment.  People love to hate on the HE-400 in general, but its bass is one of the best in the business.

A fair assessment of my statement... I think even M50x's have better bass. However, I think it would behoove anyone who found my statement jarring to read this thread I made - http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/headphone-palooza-shoot-out-8-cans-reviewed-here - you can see what I thought. HE-400's are way too plasticky and punchy in the bass to have any texture. It's superb for EDM and some jazz (if you're not picky about your ride cymbal sounds), as well as faster music, making it a good/great buy at $300 for some. But it has nowhere near the control, refinement, and cohesive sound of the LCD-2s, nor of even many cans in its range. They're just too bizzare to be someone's main cans. The Fazor makes the two equally open, and I don't find the 2's to be congested by any means.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,361 of 13,139

The only problem I have with it is I can never get the two pads to feel the same around my ears, and it makes me OCD so I keep fidgeting them around. That's only because they're old and the pads are uneven. Also I'm not perfectly symmetrical. Bending them out so there's less clamping pressure helps, or keeping my glasses on so the pads stick to me less.

Thought I was the only one. I was auditioning a buddy's old pair and bought LCD-3 pads because I didn't want to mix skin oils lol. Anyway, after long use, I'm not surprised when I see one pad in a completely different position than the other pad, after all the finger fidgeting. And somehow, the fit feels fine like this. I stop fidgeting when they're in odd positions than when they're symmetrical.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,362 of 13,139
  Thought I was the only one. I was auditioning a buddy's old pair and bought LCD-3 pads because I didn't want to mix skin oils lol. Anyway, after long use, I'm not surprised when I see one pad in a completely different position than the other pad, after all the finger fidgeting. And somehow, the fit feels fine like this. I stop fidgeting when they're in odd positions than when they're symmetrical.

Yeah, I try to get them symmetrical and it never works. I need to convince myself to stop. Position seems to have very little effect on the sound anyway, within reason.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #4,363 of 13,139

LCD2 was 500 grams pre fazor.  It's 600grams now with fazor.  The fazors are essentially an additional two metal plates on either side of the driver that include the triangular diffusers (which also touch your ear if your ears protrude enough.)

the 600 grams in the Audeze website isn't correct.  based on the website LCD2 Bamboo = Rosewood = LCD3 = LCDx = 600 grams that is not true. 

I guess the new fazored LCD-2 Bamboo is around 500 grams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back