Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,381 of 6,486
Quote:
  bass-leaning = ..... thin bass ? :)

=============

these thin wafers ...strong?

Are those magnets I see on either side of the wafers? To hold the plugs in?

I hope so, otherwise I don't see anything that could be holding these connectors in place without them coming out with an easy twist of the neck lol

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,382 of 6,486
Are those magnets I see on either side of the wafers? To hold the plugs in?

Hmmm, I was also wondering what they were. But magnets? Such tiny magnets could not keep a whole plug and cable in place. Probably it's nothing but some steel used in the construction of the plug.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,383 of 6,486
So glad someone hears this the way I heard it. I felt that the EL8s were definitely a more fun sound than the LCD series. I really like it, personally. I think a closed LE8 might be in my future as a portable, more fun alternative to my T90s whicb are very analytical.
OK, comin' back to life!!

Only one to keep?
Has to be my beloved LCD-XCs! That's for sure.

Like I mentioned earlier - and I'll try to make my feelings and impressions tighter guys - just have a head full of intel and lots of notes and pics to go through:

The EL-8s, both closed and open, presented a wholly new listening experience to me, compared to the LCD-series - which literally slammed the audible door shut on my transition to high end personal audio (from in-room high end two-channel).

The LCD-series are, for me, (when mated with the right associated gear) like hearing a grand pair of floorstanding loudspeakers - more precisely I always equated the LCDs (especially LCD-X or LCD-2&3 w/ Fazor) to running a pair of Maggie 3.6s and a dynamic subwoofer to pick up the sub-bass. For example, when rockin' my LCD-2s w/ Fazor or LCD-3s and my Cavalli LAu I usually think of Rm #2 (the small room) at Harry Pearsons home (my fave): It was rectangular, but the head of the room had three short walls like a half-octagon - you know, in Victorian homes - where the end of the room has two angled short walls and windows - and there are usually little benches built into that area? Hope I'm making some sense - or wish I could draw it - bottom line: The Maggies - when mated with a Nola Thunderbolt IIIA subwoofer, loaded that room in ways that sounded so immediate and dynamic it was like hearing a HUGE pair of headphones!! dB levels were realistic, the sheer sonic scale was larger than the room would EVER lead you to believe had you not heard it. It was enveloping. That's how I feel about my LCDs when things are running TIGHT! I need to steal a line from Producer/engineer Frank Filipetti  - 

I asked to have Audeze send Frank a pair of LCD-3s (now he uses LCD-X) a couple years ago - as Frank has worked on many award-winning productions, and he always hated headphones! But, I asked him to try the LCD-3s - and he called me and said: "These are not headphones at all, not to me, they're like head-speakers in that they remove the room from the equation and have given me a new frame of reference as there's nothing in the way." That encapsulates it for me on the LCD-series and I'm not sure if comparing the EL-8 to the LCDs is the way to go here - merely saying NOT sure yet...

The EL-8s (closed) sounded, immediately, to me, like my beloved HD 25-1 IIs with MASSIVE upgrades in detail, spaciousness, timbre, and especially transient attack and bass response/control. They were like the HD 25s on performance enhancing drugs.

The open 8s reminded me, at first, of my Audio-Technica ATH900X - mostly in their silky-open midrange and extended highs . After more time, they began to sound apart from the comparisons in my head. And here is the only area where I thought of my LCDs, during my first all-night listening session with the open EL-8 - I found myself listening to the music, digitally crate-diggin', and checking out music I hadn't listened to in months and years! Something was entirely fresh to me in this headphone. It felt like I was hearing these Sennheisers my dad had for the first time (650 or 700 - have to ask him) when I was young - but Everything was cleaner, more tactile, and more holographic - and I was wearing a comfortable set a cans that I felt like I could walk around with easily! Now that's a wholly new experience from the LCDs - to me.

Playing Thom Yorke's "A Brain in a Bottle" off Tomorrow's Modern Boxes on the closed EL-8s (a new reference LP for me that I reviewed for PFO) - I noticed the difference in imaging speed within seconds compared to the 900X. These panning noises were wider and moving faster than any other pair of cans I could think of in my collection around this price or size! The sense of dimension was far bigger than I expected also - having just listened to the Deckard w/ my LCD-XCs and AK240 as source via Nordost iKable. THAT was somethin' special for LATER...

The EL-8s (closed), which I used with my AK240 first, and then w/ my AK240 + Lehmann Audio Traveler Amp - sounded so much faster and natural for me than anything I own that's similar to their design physically, other than the LCDs! With the 8s, Yorkes' vocals were life-like and the complex electronic back-drop had more space amongst the triggered sounds and other vocal samples. They sounded like (and maybe using the LCDs for comparison isn't so bad... Hmmmm) like a crash-collision of an LCD-X, HD 25-1 IIs, and shrunken XC.

and I grabbed my Alpha Primes today, along with my Audio-Technica ATH-900X, Grado 325is, Mad Dog Pros, and Perfect Sound d901 Dido.

None of the other cans captured and rendered Tori Amos' voice in "Wild Way" off Unrepentant Geraldines with the finesse, air, nuance AND POWER of the EL-8s. The instrumentation was also more refined and detailed without a hint of fatigue.
I was drawn in - and I was completely comfortable! I'm not saying the LCDs are uncomfortable - but they feel so much bigger and heavier when you go back. I think not having those thick, angular pads contributes to the different bass response. I didn't think it was light at all - but light compared to the XC sure.

But the overall presentation pleased me with regard to imaging, timbre, and dimensionality. The bass and midrange were also full-bodied and textural without congestion.
Look - we ALL hear differently! But, right now, and I got SO much more listening to do - my headphone collection is going to shrink because of the EL-8s.

And I think they're well-worth 700 bucks! But, that's just me.
:D
Off for more listening! 

I think either EL-8 would be a grand sonic accompaniment for the AK100 II! - and thanks!

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,384 of 6,486
Well given my errr...label...I can't say too much but I'm curious what source the folks who had that impression were using. I heard them as fun and engaging, with great separTion and dynamics and a positively beautiful midrange, punchy deep bass, and smooth, extended treble that I couldn't find any real fault with. Not as airy or detailed or 3D as the 2s or 3s, but still beautifully natural, engaging and very dynamic to my ears.

I don't find the T90 terrible at all. They're bright, sure, but with the proper source I think they balance our quite nicely. Still bright and analytical, which as a Beyers should be no surprise, and they fall short of the T1 in bass depth and texture. But I don't think they are shrill personally. Definitely bright but shrill sounds stronger than I feel about them.
I auditioned T90, yes they're terrible. Too shrill and has piercing treble.
I was talking about EL-8. I was surprised because general impression has been that EL-8 is bass-light and bright. I do hope you're right though. I'd enjoy a portable planar magnetic.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,385 of 6,486
Seems like the 'consensus' for an overly bright EL-8 is from multiple users who haven't heard them, or comments on pre-production models. If it's said enough times people begin to beleive it. I'll patiently wade through speculation for real impressions.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,386 of 6,486
Well given my errr...label...I can't say too much but I'm curious what source the folks who had that impression were using. I heard them as fun and engaging, with great separTion and dynamics and a positively beautiful midrange, punchy deep bass, and smooth, extended treble that I couldn't find any real fault with. Not as airy or detailed or 3D as the 2s or 3s, but still beautifully natural, engaging and very dynamic to my ears.

I don't find the T90 terrible at all. They're bright, sure, but with the proper source I think they balance our quite nicely. Still bright and analytical, which as a Beyers should be no surprise, and they fall short of the T1 in bass depth and texture. But I don't think they are shrill personally. Definitely bright but shrill sounds stronger than I feel about them.

I'm very sensitive to treble and can't stand when it's emphasized and harsh. But I understand many people like T90. Just my opinion... I tend to like a relaxed sound signature.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #1,387 of 6,486
Seems like the 'consensus' for an overly bright EL-8 is from multiple users who haven't heard them, or comments on pre-production models. If it's said enough times people begin to beleive it. I'll patiently wade through speculation for real impressions.

Gotta love it when that happens and you wonder if there is a hidden agenda there....

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,388 of 6,486
I agree with him that TH900 and TH600 are too bright. But he didn't mean the entire signature is bright, but rather it has too much treble energy. Fostex TH series are overpriced and really don't sound very good.

for the sake of balance - i completely disagree with tyll and you

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #1,389 of 6,486
I agree with him that TH900 and TH600 are too bright. But he didn't mean the entire signature is bright, but rather it has too much treble energy. Fostex TH series are overpriced and really don't sound very good.

Hahahaha. I think this perfectly encapsulates Jude's point about the problematic nature of people expecting to be able to make easy subjective decisions for themselves by treating other people's impreesions as "word of god" (or in this case, giving it as such).

Personally, I've owned at one point or another in the past year-and-a-half every $500+ closed-back can of note that is currently in production, in addition to the out-o- production w3000 and D700. None of them, in the long run, sounded as good to me as the TH600 (yes, even the TH900). Eventually the only can that survived the initial cull was the w3000 because it offered a very unique experience, even if, for most applications, the TH600 sounded better (to me). Eventually I reacquired the LCD-XC and TH900 because, in order of importance 1) they were objects of pure beauty that served as conversation pieces in my office and apartment, 2) I got sweet ass deals on them, and 3) I found a few edge cases where they sounded better than the TH600 or w3000.

Had I not been hardnosed about my search for great cans and had the means/willingness to try everything for myself, and instead relied on the impressions of others, I would have missed out on the aural nirvana that the TH600 has given me in the last several months.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,392 of 6,486
they're not the same cans and grainy isn't a word i've seen used to describe the th900. that's not how i hear it. anyways back to the El-8.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,393 of 6,486
they're not the same cans and grainy isn't a word i've seen used to describe the th900. that's not how i hear it. anyways back to the El-8.

Agree.  However, as an owner, I can understand why someone could make that claim depending upon what and how they are driving them and similarly my experience with the HD800 was less than satisfying, BUT, I recognize that I was not using optimal front end to extract what the HD800s were capable of and hence why I chose the TH900 over the HD800 as I use a HUGO, which IMHO, will never drive the HD800s in the manner they are meant to be driven.

However, I do miss and and want an open can and why I am so interested in the EL-8 but am probably going to go with the LCD-X.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,395 of 6,486
guys i'v never heard an orthodynamic headphone but as i percieved orthos are the near most to the ultimate SQ probably.i mostly used IEMs (RE-262 hifiman ,i like them, equalized them with sinegen and Accudio by Golden Ears ,im a newbie and i know it) and the chances to make a purchase rarely occurs(due to ****ty home country , some hell in middle-east). i was wondering would EL-8 be a proper once and  for all high end (to me) headphone give that i use above mentioned IEMs and i listen to any music (classic ,rock,traditional persian , electro , dubstep ....).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back