Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #511 of 6,486
I guess to meet that $700 price they had to take away the extras. 

Shame there is no travel case with this, I hope they sell one separately as an accessory at some point. 

EDIT - Happy to see that they can clearly be driven by a portable device though, that's one of my check points ticked off. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #515 of 6,486
Interesting... Updated spec on LCD-2F as well.... It now shows:

Efficiency101dB / 1mW

Which is closer to the truth, IMO. I think previously it was something like 93dB/1mW.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #517 of 6,486
  They're both very efficient, just a little shy of the LCD-X. A travel case would be a nice option, I'd be surprised if they didn't offer one.

Looks like THD is reduced pretty significantly compared to LCD series.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #520 of 6,486
I hope they offer vegan pads.

I'm so excited for the Audeze team! I can't wait to get my hands on a pair to review!

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #521 of 6,486

Bamboo LCD-2 is now down to $916. Rosewood is up to $1066.

Are you crapping me? I just ordered the bamboo from Crutchfield for $995. If Crutchfield lowers the price, they'll probably honor it down the line in terms of a refund.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #522 of 6,486

I've had customs going on 3 years now and have no interest in universals. You couldn't pay me to switch back, even if comfort was the only factor considered. Well, you could, but you get the idea.

So it's a bit of a tangent for this thread but I'd like to very quickly explore this:

If you had a set of customs, and a set of universals and they were:

1) Identical in sound quality
2) Identical in comfort
3) Identical in isolation

Why would you not go for the universals?

I would definitely go with the customs to eliminate the irritating seal issue. I cannot hold a good seal long term with any universal if I can even get a good seal to begin with - believe me I have tried. Without a good seal, any IEM is pointless. The better the seal, the better the sound - which is why I bet a CIEM will always sound better.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #523 of 6,486
BTW, the Audeze site is back up with all the EL-8 information.

http://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #525 of 6,486
I would definitely go with the customs to eliminate the irritating seal issue. I cannot hold a good seal long term with any universal if I can even get a good seal to begin with - believe me I have tried. Without a good seal, any IEM is pointless. The better the seal, the better the sound - which is why I bet a CIEM will always sound better.

Ok.

4. They seal identically well.

My example was a hypothetical where all aspects were equal - which I believe they will be in time - what place does the CIEM actually have?

None. The Universal will continue to improve with research and the CIEM will become obsolete.

Anyway, back on topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back