ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 4, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #1,966 of 9,748
I wouldnt mind a Bocote Eikon:grin:

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,967 of 9,748
I wouldnt mind a Bocote Eikon:grin:

Yeah, or that coffee color that Zach did with the Omni/Ori...that was beautiful.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,970 of 9,748
I stumbled into the ZMF headphones at CanJam yesterday.  I was attracted to the Decware amp at first.  Mostly tired at this point in the day, it took a few minutes for me to even compute that it was the headphones they were selling.

The ZMF Eikons really stand out in a sea of established brands.  Easily the surprise treat for me at can jam this year.  I honestly never looked into these headphones before, didn't know what they were, maybe I heard of the ZMF mods before--I don't really remember.  This is how I know my feelings are genuine.  I went in with zero bias or expectations.

I liked them so much, I'm contemplating over my morning cup right now a return trip to can jam to give them another spin followed by a possible purchase.  Reading this thread gives me mixed emotions.  I feel like it is such a treat to have discovered these little-known and brand-new gems, but at the same time, I'm dismayed that there is zero chance Zach has any pairs for sale today at the show.  :)

The body and the presence of sound is what really comes to mind when I think about what makes these unique, audibly.  It's big.  It's tangible.  Visually, IMO, they don't looks as refined as something from MrSpeakers or Audeze, but they have character.  They look like they were made, with care, by hand.  The weight is probably somewhere in between.  For my sound preferences, the Eikons are a step above what either brand has to offer.  (I think I have a thing for dynamic drivers.)

They have them paired with serious amps, but I actually spent most of the time going through Tidal music I offlined onto my phone through my mojo--it felt like I was there for a while.  Buying the Eikons may make me get a better amp, but I am satisfied they'll sound amazing through the entry-level chord no matter where I find myself.

I get the sense that these would make great amp-mates with your favorite pair of Sennheisers--both in the yin-yang of the sound and amp compatibility.  These have tremendous body to the sound while I find senns bring greater detail.

I also checked out the Atticus after the Eikon.  I very much prefer the Eikons.  I get the sense the Atticus will have a very loyal following, but for me it was just a touch over the top.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,971 of 9,748
  I stumbled into the ZMF headphones at CanJam yesterday.  I was attracted to the Decware amp at first.  Mostly tired at this point in the day, it took a few minutes for me to even compute that it was the headphones they were selling.

The ZMF Aikons really stand out in a sea of established brands.  Easily the surprise treat for me at can jam this year.  I honestly never looked into these headphones before, didn't know what they were, maybe I heard of the ZMF mods before--I don't really remember.  This is how I know my feelings are genuine.  I went in with zero bias or expectations.

I liked them so much, I'm contemplating over my morning cup right now a return trip to can jam to give them another spin followed by a possible purchase.  Reading this thread gives me mixed emotions.  I feel like it is such a treat to have discovered these little-known and brand-new gems, but at the same time, I'm dismayed that there is zero chance Zach has any pairs for sale today at the show.  :)

The body and the presence of sound is what really comes to mind when I think about what makes these unique, audibly.  It's big.  It's tangible.  Visually, IMO, they don't looks as refined as something from MrSpeakers or Audeze, but they have character.  They look like they were made, with care, by hand.  The weight is probably somewhere in between.  For my sound preferences, the Aikons are a step above what either brand has to offer.  (I think I have a thing for dynamic drivers.)

They have them paired with serious amps, but I actually spent most of the time going through Tidal music I offlined onto my phone through my mojo--it felt like I was there for a while.  Buying the Eikons may make me get a better amp, but I am satisfied they'll sound amazing through the entry-level chord no matter where I find myself.

I get the sense that these would make great amp-mates with your favorite pair of Sennheisers--both in the yin-yang of the sound and amp compatibility.  These have tremendous body to the sound while I find senns bring greater detail.

I also checked out the Atticus after the Eikon.  I very much prefer the Eikons.  I get the sense the Atticus will have a very loyal following, but for me it was just a touch over the top.

Im the reverse...i was blown away by the impact/mids of the Atticus...typically headphones with that much thump have a v-shaped sound...not these badboys!

For metal these things rocked.

Atticus will be my next headphone purchase,no question.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #1,972 of 9,748
What are folks doing for stands? These are going to be so gorgeous that I want to have them visible, but want to make sure they stay pristine as well. Thoughts?
It's amazing that these are starting to ship out, can't wait for mine to arrive in a month or so!

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,973 of 9,748
What are folks doing for stands? These are going to be so gorgeous that I want to have them visible, but want to make sure they stay pristine as well. Thoughts?
It's amazing that these are starting to ship out, can't wait for mine to arrive in a month or so!

I put mine back in the case or on MY shelf in the closet. It would be a disaster for me to leave them out for display with four cats. :eek:

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,974 of 9,748

With my Ori, I keep it on a headphone stand and when I turn my amp off for the day, I always cover my headphones up...to keep them looking good....I may be anal about the condition, but I never even put my cans down on the desk...always hang on the stand.

I will do the same with my Atticus, when ever i get around to ordering one.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,975 of 9,748

I got a pair of these.   They are just a hair too short, as the xlr cable plugs brush against the base.   If you put them on the stand at a slight angle, it works fine though.

Most "omega" style stands aren't tall enough, and fall over all the time anyway.   It seems like you really need a stand taller than 10.5" for these to sit right.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,977 of 9,748
ProfFalkin, whirlwind, mwhals,

Thanks folks. I'm really wondering if anyone has been happy with a particular stand, as my experience has been that they are all compromised in height, stability, or potentially in adding wear to cans.

Are there truly no good solutions out there? Seems odd for a community this size with this much demand...

I've actually been looking at mannequin heads, wig holders, and hat display pieces as viable alternatives. If it's the size of a human head, or slightly smaller, it should work... But most look terrible, and there is no telling if any of them would be stable with headphones on them. Hehehe

Something like this.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #1,978 of 9,748
ProfFalkin, whirlwind, mwhals,

Thanks folks. I'm really wondering if anyone has been happy with a particular stand, as my experience has been that they are all compromised in height, stability, or potentially in adding wear to cans.

Are there truly no good solutions out there? Seems odd for a community this size with this much demand...
Woo Audio headphone stand 2* is fantastic. http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,979 of 9,748

Quote:
@ProfFalkin, @whirlwind, @mwhals,

I couldn't find any stand that worked for me so this is what I've built:

Used a cheap tripod and added a 1/8 section of 8" PVC pipe covered with a thin layer of memory foam and leather.  Still using the tripod as a base but if only using the center section it would be about 18" so more than enough clearance for cables.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,980 of 9,748
Woo Audio headphone stand 2* is fantastic. http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html

This.  The Woo Audio stands are very very good, though a bit pricey.  I also like the new Audioquest stand that I saw at CES (not sure if it's out yet).  I also heard a rumor that Zach was working on a stand but you know... rumors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back