ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #841 of 1,994
Hello, I just bought this headphone from Buydig website for 399 US. The headphone is built in a good quality also the sound is good, I think it should not be a fake.
Anyway I want to make sure this item is not a fake. How can I find the serial number for this item? I can not find it from the box.
Thank you.

AFAIK they do not have serialization. Buydig does not appear on AT's list of authorized dealers either.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #843 of 1,994
I just got my W1000X today after doing a bit of research. A lot of mixed reviews out there...but I LOVE THEM and they only have 4 hours on them. :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #844 of 1,994
Quote:
I just got my W1000X today after doing a bit of research. A lot of mixed reviews out there...but I LOVE THEM and they only have 4 hours on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am right there with you, love the mids and the tone. Enjoy!

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #845 of 1,994
Just in case you don't remember.

No I remember seeing that claim made, but AT still doesn't list them as an authorized dealer, and you'll have to forgive me if I'd rather trust AT than an online forum poster making unsubstantiated claims. Flame and complain all you like - I'll stick to buying from authorized dealers and suggesting that others do the same; tends to prevent the whole "did I get a fake???" problem. :wink_face:

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #846 of 1,994
Firstly I e-mailed to Beachcamera (the authorized dealer) for asking about the cheaper price (399US) that I found in Buydig and they reply to me that they can match the 399US for me but I have to call directly to his sales manager, unfortunately I stay outside US so I can not.
Then I e-mailed to Buydig for asking detail about warranty and they reply to me "This item is brand new and is supplied with a 1 year warranty".
Funny is both Beachcamera & Buydig replied me by the same sales manager so I thought they should be the same company and also the item. :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #847 of 1,994
Firstly I e-mailed to Beachcamera (the authorized dealer) for asking about the cheaper price (399US) that I found in Buydig and they reply to me that they can match the 399US for me but I have to call directly to his sales manager, unfortunately I stay outside US so I can not.
Then I e-mailed to Buydig for asking detail about warranty and they reply to me "This item is brand new and is supplied with a 1 year warranty".
Funny is both Beachcamera & Buydig replied me by the same sales manager so I thought they should be the same company and also the item. :)

FWIW, I'm not aware of any of the ATH-W series (ESW9 excluded) being faked, but my understanding is that AT will only honor warranties with an SO originating from a listed authorized dealer. You can read more about it from AT:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/warranty/search.pl

Select Audio-Technica brand products purchased in the U.S.A. from an authorized Audio-Technica (A.T.U.S.) dealer are warranted for two years from date of purchase by A.T.U.S. to be free of defects in materials and workmanship. In event of a defect, End-User’s exclusive remedy is at A.T.U.S.’ election, the cost of repair, refund of the purchase price in the form of credit or cash, or replacement of the product. The product must be delivered to A.T.U.S. or an Authorized Service Center, prepaid, together with the sales slip or other proof of purchase date. This warranty excludes defects due to normal wear, abuse, shipping damage, or failure to use product in accordance with instructions. This warranty is void in the event of unauthorized repair or modification, or removal or defacing of the product labeling.

W1000X should carry a 2-year warranty, and you would have to present the original invoice from an appropriate dealer to receive service from AT (I'm not sure if they'll refuse all service/work-orders without a legitimate SO, I know that some manufacturers will, but I'm not sure if AT is that picky).

And more about their Unauth policy: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/features/49ef9d703e98ba93/index.html

If you have doubts about the authenticity of an online reseller, please contact Audio-Technica directly at salespolicies@atus.com

And auth'd dealers list: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Buydig does not appear.

Were it me, I'd either contact AT and inquire with them directly, or (if they either say it's a no-go, or don't reply quickly, etc) try and return the product and go through an authorized dealer, simply to ensure that your warranty is valid. That having been said, there isn't *a lot* that can go wrong with these that would really be covered under warranty (any damage you do is on you; so basically the driver or wiring has to spontaneously fail of its own accord in order for the warranty to really matter - there aren't any active electronics in there, so they should be quite reliable), assuming the warranty is something you're worried about. I'm very skeptical that fake ATH-W exist, and you likely have a legitimate example - however, you may have a grey-market example at that (I remember a while ago the dealer you bought them from was selling "refurbs" on ebay with no packaging/UPC/etc for fairly low prices - that's kind of shifty behavior imho).

If you do e-mail AT and get more info on this, it'd be quite helpful if you could post your reply back here.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #850 of 1,994
Quote:
I just got my W1000X today after doing a bit of research. A lot of mixed reviews out there...but I LOVE THEM and they only have 4 hours on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow congrats to you then, I HATED my w1000x for about the first 3 days of having them... but then I read that a good head band WARP helps the seal and WOW boi, better seal made a world of differeance and I use them AS much if not MORE than my dt 880s and dt 990s [which the byers r my #1 cans] But yea I wanted a clean birght sound like the 880 and I feel that the w1000x is not TOO colorful but has just enough to make it really wonderful! 
Quote:
I am right there with you, love the mids and the tone. Enjoy!

Yes very sexy mids and tone

Non the less they are GREAT cans... sadly I got mine here on the forums as a Used refurbished item.... so if I ever drop em I'm screwed >.> although I use the L3000 pads and I enjoy the L3000 pads over stock, the comfort is MUCH better on the real Leather pads, the sound is much tighter and cleaner I feel with the new pads as well [they are a little bigger I believe] in addition I use mine with a Solid State Tube amp with a NOS Clear Top 12ua7a [with low gain ofc] <3 

also DaiQing Tana & Haya Band - Migration (2011) is a MAGIC album with these cans. Keep in mind it's a mongoalian singer SO you don't waste ANY time understanding the lyrics you just enjoy the wonderful sound of the entire album

Keep in mind as well the dirvers r angeled so moving them backwards and forwards on you head thins and thickens the sound, and I do love the wing system now that I'm used to it, as these are some rather heavy cans imo, and you CAN'T FEEL them on your head :O which freaks me out so I like the weightless ness of the wing system

Non the less wonderful cans, great with vocals and even better on tubes, also guys check out the Vocals Thread for some really magical tunes with these cans... :O female vocals are really wonderful on these :D I had my dt 880s when I listened to the Vocal thread recommendations last night and well the w1000x are much better suited for vocals :D the details are my favorite and that warmth! ^^ I'm glad you like the cans and boy do I love em to ^^ [didn;t think I would those first few days but thankfuly I got em to work!] 

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #851 of 1,994
I've been using these with a Burson Soloist SL but I'm finding them a bit on the bright and fatiguing side. I don't know if that was a mistake and if I should have gone with the WA6 instead. I was hesitant on the WA6 cause of the very high 15ohm output impedance. Any advice or opinions?

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #852 of 1,994
You can use some blu-tack to cover up the acoustic silk. I notice that this tames the brightness down by a notch. However, it also makes the bass a bit punchier (a bit too much for my taste) and gives you more of an 'upfront' presentation in the music. Try and see if you like it.

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #853 of 1,994
You can use some blu-tack to cover up the acoustic silk. I notice that this tames the brightness down by a notch. However, it also makes the bass a bit punchier (a bit too much for my taste) and gives you more of an 'upfront' presentation in the music. Try and see if you like it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the acoustic silk the part in the middle of the ear pads covering the drivers?

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #855 of 1,994
I purchased a pair of these recently.

I have a pair of A900Xs right now and I promised that would be that for my desktop gaming sessions. However, curiosity got the better of me.

I have no real interest in using these for music, pretty much only for competitive gaming. I do hope that their performance in this regard (as well as comfort) is an improvement over the A900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back