ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 27, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 1,994
Come on everybody, how is the bass
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still enjoying my pair a lot. Very impressive headphones from AT - my favorite AT of all time.

Can you compare them to W5000? I'm also waiting for new flagship from AT but as HD800 and T1 turned out not really things that I enjoy maybe W1000x will do for the near future instead of T1. I was really hoping they're gonna be the holy grail.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #18 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on everybody, how is the bass
biggrin.gif

Bass is really good, as long as you got a good fit (don't have a tiny head). It extends very low and has great texture. Hits plenty hard, maybe slightly less than the Denon D2000s I used to have, but with a little more midbass. In fact I think with a warmer amp the bass can even be too much, as it doesn't need any bass boost.

I listen to a lot of dubstep to test sub-bass response and the W1000x definitely passes.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #19 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aethelred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you compare them to W5000? I'm also waiting for new flagship from AT but as HD800 and T1 turned out not really things that I enjoy maybe W1000x will do for the near future instead of T1. I was really hoping they're gonna be the holy grail.

Not really- only heard the W5000 at meets. Sorry.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 1,994
Yay! I finally received my pair today from Japan but they were stuck in customs since April 16th!!! I highly recommend using DHL from Japan from this point on since it would bypass that long wait at customs and not cost that much more.

They are definately quite impressive in terms of construction and appearance, especially compared to the finicky Denon mechanism. The frame feels very solid as do the large wood cups. The wooden finish is quite nice with a warmn honey colored wood. Beautiful, but not as much as the finish on the ESW10JPN.

The ear pads are pleather, but a very high quality kind which feels pretty close to the real thing. They do feel quite shallow though and the drivers seem to sit quite close to the ears.

I will give some impressions later tonight but I'm overwhelmed since I just received my SR-007s yesterday and don't know which to spend more time with
smily_headphones1.gif
I must say that I'm really starting to have an affection for Japanese headphones though!

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 1,994
Moniseurguzel, Good to hear that you finally received yours. When testing could you use your wooAudio amp, i'm trying to make a decision on getting the WA6. Have fun.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #24 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moniseurguzel, Good to hear that you finally received yours. When testing could you use your wooAudio amp, i'm trying to make a decision on getting the WA6. Have fun.

Sure will, I was actually planning on using the Woo as the primary amp for the W1000x anyhow. However, the WA5 is quite a different beast than the WA6SE that I used to own and sound a bit different in my opinion. The WA6 was a little warmer and a bit more tubey than the WA5, but it could be partially due to the tubes I'm using. From what I remember, the D5000 didn't go all that well with the Woo6 in my opinion, but I've heard good things about the W1000x with tube amps, so my hopes are high
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #25 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! I finally received my pair today from Japan but they were stuck in customs since April 16th!!! I highly recommend using DHL from Japan from this point on since it would bypass that long wait at customs and not cost that much more.

I went with EMS and according to the tracking they should be arriving today and I placed my order on the 25th.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 1,994
My pair has arrived and I am quite pleased that they have fixed up my comfort issues that I originally had with my AD900's. There is now a bit more distance between my ear and the driver. I'll post up some impressions later once I've given them a bit more head time as well as some time to burn in.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #28 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you tell your significant other how closed these are?
biggrin.gif

Haha, yes she was rejoiced to see a closed pair of headphones finally! She is actually wearing them herself right now listening to Lady Gaga (at least she's listening to it out of my vinyl rig, so that gives her a little cred.
happy_face1.gif
).

I haven't had enough time with these phones yet, but I'm very pleased with the way they sound out of the box...a very easy and effortless sound that I can imagine a lot of people liking. I remember when first trying the Denon D5000s, the muddiness of the bass really bothered me and I really felt a need to do something to them to improve them. I feel like a lot of people aren't that happy with stock Denons, since most people fiddle with new pads, more dampening, etc. which I feel shows something significantly flawed for a new headphone. The W1000X on the other hand are really amazing for a sub $500 headphone, with what seems to be great bass (not over the top), extended highs, and nice forward mids (which is something I actually really like about AT sound).

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #29 of 1,994
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and nice forward mids (which is something I actually really like about AT sound).

Me too
wink_face.gif

Altho it seems to be quite a divisive trait with some people complaining it is unnatural. To me it is the way music should sound with the vocals up in front.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #30 of 1,994
Here are my initial impressions of the W1000X which might be of interest to some of you.

The build quality is excellent and I just can't stop listening to them they sound great out of the box. They seem to be handling my metal collection beautifully and the bass is nice and hard hitting after a quick A/B with my Kees modded Pro900's I noticed that with these I can definitely feel the bass more whereas I can't with my Pro900's. I honestly thought my pro900's had the right amount of bass but now I'm not so sure but I'm not about to experiment by removing some of damping because one of the screws is nearly stripped ;D. Before I got these I had no idea what a warm sound was but now I do and I love it.

I didn't like the fit of my AD900's when I owned them because of my ear touching the driver. Audio technica have fixed the fit issues with the W1000X.

The detail retrieval is excellent its just slightly less than the Pro900's.

For the time being they are definitely my new favourite headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back