ATH-M50's little bass.
Oct 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 62
 Is it possible that I NEED an amp for this headphone? From what I've read, the M50x should be more than OK with an iPhone or MacBook Pro powering it... which is why I chose it (ultimate portability).

After reading up a bit more... the JVC HA-SZ2000 would essentially NEED an amp, correct? 

SZ2000 does not need an amp but if you want your skull to rattle get a Cayin C5 or Fiio E12

OK, thanks for the input.

Are the SZ2000's practical for say: airplanes/travel?

The M50x's would be just fine for airplanes, and maybe the occasional long session at a coffee shop.. The SZ2000s look quite a bit bigger.

Any links out there for video reviews? I found only 1 and it's a foreign guy I can't really understand, and he doesn't place them on his head once.

Sent from my eyefone.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #47 of 62
OK, thanks for the input.

Are the SZ2000's practical for say: airplanes/travel?

The M50x's would be just fine for airplanes, and maybe the occasional long session at a coffee shop.. The SZ2000s look quite a bit bigger.

Any links out there for video reviews? I found only 1 and it's a foreign guy I can't really understand, and he doesn't place them on his head once.

Sent from my eyefone.

I wouldn't say SZ2000's are practical for travel. They're quite big and bulky, they leak badly. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #48 of 62

I wouldn't say SZ2000's are practical for travel. They're quite big and bulky, they leak badly. 

Ah sh1t..... 

Do you own a pair? Any other comments regarding them? 

Aside from my Bose iE2s (which I use for running, can easily use for travel, etc); I'm kind of searching for my all-in-one over the ear pair.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #49 of 62
I just initiated my (free) return of the M50x from Amazon; return shipping label just e-mailed to me.

I will either go with the VMODA M100 or the SZ2000s. I wish there was a store locally to me that had both... I will go to Best Buy and try the VMODAs before tossing my ATH-50x's in the mail, just in case.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #50 of 62
  I just initiated my (free) return of the M50x from Amazon; return shipping label just e-mailed to me.

I will either go with the VMODA M100 or the SZ2000s. I wish there was a store locally to me that had both... I will go to Best Buy and try the VMODAs before tossing my ATH-50x's in the mail, just in case.

In this thread, the JVC is ranked #1 while the V-MODA is ranked #9.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #51 of 62

In this thread, the JVC is ranked #1 while the V-MODA is ranked #9.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

I guess since I'm such a "n00b" (to the headphone audio world at least), that I just don't know if I'd really consider myself a prime candidate for the #1 extreme slamming basshead pair of phones. 

I quite honestly don't like the idea of having to mess with an AMP, let alone tweak EQ settings. But I guess once I have everything dialed in, it'll be worth it in the long run. I just checked out this video:

https://youtu.be/LWxg5MW9Zi0

^ don't know how to embed a video, sorry :frowning2:

I messed with my (320kbps) Spotify EQ and used the approx EQ curve from the video for a quick test; these M50x sure can spit out bass on max volume on my iPhone 6; but the balance is COMPLETELY off (as expected). I guess over time I'll fine tune my preferences..... who thought it could be so damn hard to pick a pair?! ugh

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #52 of 62
  I guess since I'm such a "n00b" (to the headphone audio world at least), that I just don't know if I'd really consider myself a prime candidate for the #1 extreme slamming basshead pair of phones. 

I quite honestly don't like the idea of having to mess with an AMP, let alone tweak EQ settings. But I guess once I have everything dialed in, it'll be worth it in the long run. I just checked out this video:

I messed with my (320kbps) Spotify EQ and used the approx EQ curve from the video for a quick test; these M50x sure can spit out bass on max volume on my iPhone 6; but the balance is COMPLETELY off (as expected). I guess over time I'll fine tune my preferences..... who thought it could be so damn hard to pick a pair?! ugh

Well, you would only get that type of ultimate slam with heavy bass boosts via EQ anyway. It won't be like that if you don't use EQ. It's all about what the headphones are capable of, not what they sound like without EQ. I highly recommend using a parametric equalizer somewhere down the line in order to have the most control over the sound.

For future reference, V-MODA's full-size headphones have shallow stock pads, and the inner part is hard and uncomfortable. If you end up going with V-MODA, the XL Memory Cushions are a must.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #53 of 62

Well, you would only get that type of ultimate slam with heavy bass boosts via EQ anyway. It won't be like that if you don't use EQ. It's all about what the headphones are capable of, not what they sound like without EQ. I highly recommend using a parametric equalizer somewhere down the line in order to have the most control over the sound.

For future reference, V-MODA's full-size headphones have shallow stock pads, and the inner part is hard and uncomfortable. If you end up going with V-MODA, the XL Memory Cushions are a must.

Very true; I have have fairly large ears, so I would probably need the XL memory cushions...... I already have MH5s that apparently fit the SZ2000.

Sorry for the n00b question: but what "parametric equalizer" options are there for iPhones and MacBook Pros? I've never used one before.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #54 of 62
  Very true; I have have fairly large ears, so I would probably need the XL memory cushions...... I already have MH5s that apparently fit the SZ2000.

Sorry for the n00b question: but what "parametric equalizer" options are there for iPhones and MacBook Pros? I've never used one before.

The JVC HA-M55X pads will give the SZ2000 the most impact, but won't be as comfortable as the HM5 pads.

I don't use Apple products at this time, so I guess you should just Google it: "parametric equalizer for iphone" / "parametric equalizer for mac"

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #55 of 62
I was about to trow away mine M50, since I could not get any satisfying bass while listening my Ibasso DX 50 , DX90 and Fiio X5. Then , I've decided to try small headphone amps: Brainwavz A001 and FiiO E6 and couldn't be happier with the amount of bass now I get from them, while mids and highs remain to be crisp and lovely. These amps are cheap, tiny and really do make a difference , especially FiiO, since it has 4 different EQ presets and volume control to fine tune to your liking. Try them I am sure you won't be disappointed. Both of these amps you can get from MP4 Nation online store, or from Amazon.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #58 of 62
I just returned from a Magnolia design center store out here in LA. I tried a bunch of different headphones.

My Audio Technica M50x with MH5
VMODA M100s 
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Sony MDR1A
Sony MDRZ7 (for like 30 seconds)--> $700 is well outside my price range 
rolleyes.gif

I used them with my iPhone 6, playing Spotify 320kbps, downloaded to my iPhone, not streaming.

This is likely how I will be playing the majority of my music (though streaming at 320kbps as well): I will eventually get an amp (most immediately the FiiO E6 recommended above, then the FiiO E12); and can start EQ'ing as I really dig in and learn from this Head-Fi community and tweak appropriately. I did mess with an EQ built into the Spotify app, however I mostly tested completely FLAT to avoid tainting the test sessions.

I was in there for about 2 hours and listened to the same ~10 or 30 seconds of a song on each, & switched frequently so I could really tell the differences of the phones. 

VMODA M100:

Yes, certainly more bass than my M50x, EDM and Hip-Hop songs were more "alive"... however they really really lacked clarity. It was like I was running through a paintball field. They weren't focused and clear.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0:

I honestly think there was something wrong with them, because the bass would crackle and distort at times when pushed to 95-100% iPhone volume; none of the others did this. I also strongly disliked the sliding metal adjuster for fit. Not worth the $ IMO.

And finally, the Sony MDR1A:

Easily the biggest surprise: Wow, I loved them. I didn't even pick them up until about 1/2 way through, and boy, am I glad I did. I went back a listened to my test play list again, frequently sub'ing in the M50x, M100s, and Momentum 2.0s until I finally benched the Momentums. They had such GREAT, tight, clear, bass you could FEEL. And most importantly, you could actually hear bass at lower volumes!

I feel like I had to have the M50x at 100% volume on my iPhone6 to even feel some sort of bass; especially with the HM5 cups. The M100s, the bass was there, but it just couldn't catch up with the rest of the song, especially a very busy EDM track. The MDR1As were as every bit as ALIVE as the M100, but just clearer and tighter in every category------> again, to my novice ears.

edit: I forgot to mention how comfortable and LIGHT these things are. I don't think they fold (too bad), but they are so light and relatively small: while the cups still fit entirely around my large-ish ears. A 2nd cable with in-line controls & mic is also included. VERY seriously considering these. $299 on Amazon (and in Magnolia/Best Buy); with an option for $240 on Amazon with no warranty. Thoughts?

How are the MDR-1A's regarded on this forum/community? Am I nuts?

ps, I also listened to some open backed Audeze EL-8s (the sales guy gave them to me). Very comfortable, built like a tank, great cable and easily the best in-line control system I've experienced. The bass was somewhat lacking considering they were open backed---> and expensive. Not a purchase for the time, but really liked the quality/feel of 'em.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #59 of 62

If you want clear sound with awesome bass too, I would recommend the Yamaha HPH-MT220. (But it has a nondetachable coiled cable.)

For serious EQ in the future, follow these guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #60 of 62
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Sony MDR-1A... possibly the Audio Technica WS99.

I know to most on here, the MDR-1A has a very abnormal, non-flat, frequency response.... but just plugging it into my iPhone6, and keeping my EQ completely flat, it just impressed me.

I wish I could hear the WS99 in person, as it seems like it's like the M50x but with more punchy bass. @ $115 on Amazon, I may just snag both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back