ATH-M50's little bass.
Oct 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #31 of 62
M50's have lots of bass - when compared to most audiophile phones. I used to have a pair, didn't like them. There's basically this huge V-shaped signature going on and little soundstage. Those highs aren't really that flat either, I was hearing some very metallic-type spikes.

I'm pretty surprised about their popularity especially with studio use, since they aren't that close to neutral. Maybe the tight fit on my noggin made them even more bassy? Still, they have lots of mid bass. Try some M100's for a quality basshead can. Even good ol' DT770's do bass (and allover sound) better.

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #32 of 62
Thank you very much, excellent input. I will research this more today. What type of additional gear (aka amp) would you suggest purchasing for an entry level set up?

I will check out those two pairs you've suggested.

Depends on your budget.

Cheapest desktop amp, has four headphone outputs, but not recommended due to lower output power: Pyle PHA40
Good entry-level USB powered amp/DAC: Schiit Fulla
Good entry-level powerful desktop amp: Schiit Magni 2 (or Magni 2 Uber)

Or if you need something for portable use, look into the FiiO or Cayin stuff.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #33 of 62
Thank you very much, excellent input. I will research this more today. What type of additional gear (aka amp) would you suggest purchasing for an entry level set up?

I will check out those two pairs you've suggested.

Depends on your budget.

Cheapest desktop amp, has four headphone outputs, but not recommended due to lower output power: Pyle PHA40
Good entry-level USB powered amp/DAC: Schiit Fulla
Good entry-level powerful desktop amp: Schiit Magni 2 (or Magni 2 Uber)

Or if you need something for portable use, look into the FiiO or Cayin stuff.

Since I travel a decent amount for work, enjoy sitting in my extremely comfortable recliner in my living room, and frequently work from coffee shops in between meetings - I would go for the portable option.

I've seen FiiO units to be quite popular on here, from quickly scanning before. Care to point me in the correct direction there?

Thank you again for the help! Now that the Packers game is over (haha go Pack!), I have plenty of time remaining on my Sunday to research possible different headphones.

I did notice that Spotify using their highest 320kbps option, on my iPhone 6, offered pretty decent sq last night. Noticeably louder than Apple's Music app with some songs that were FLAC & imported on Apple's highest quality import quality.

Quick thing to note with the shock of my dissatisfaction with the M50x bass: I would like to point out that the Brainwavz HM5 cups really lessened the bass from stock. But I WAS able to wear them for about 2-3 hours last night in extreme comfort, so if I keep these, I will likely have to keep using these cups.

Sent from my eyefone.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #34 of 62
I've seen FiiO units to be quite popular on here, from quickly scanning before. Care to point me in the correct direction there?

Well, the Cayin C5 and FiiO E12 are well-regarded for the JVC HA-SZ2000, especially with their bass boost features. You need a lot more power than normal to avoid distortion when you boost the bass with EQ. Note that you will need to do more extensive EQ (ideally with a parametric equalizer) to get better sound quality out of the JVC. The Yamaha HPH-MT220 has great sound quality in the first place, without needing EQ, but it isn't capable of ultimate bass impact like the JVC is.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 62
M50s have pathetic bass? They have a lot of bass. As many said, they aren't the bassiest headphones, but they are far from neutral, and bass is the dominant region. I've only heard them once, but from what I remember there was a plenty of bass, but it was, for my taste, too compressed. The overal sound actually was too compressed, but that's not the problem here.

However, have you considered that you might: 1. Bought a broken pair? 2. Bought a fake pair? There are a lot of fake ATH-M50.

If they are allright, but you don't like them, try Pioneer SE-M390. These are bass monsters. Too much for my taste, but I think it would fit yours. Cheers.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #37 of 62
Maybe the headphones fit loose on the OP's head? Loose fit could lose some bass for sure. On my head it was a tight fit. And there's lots of bass and some quite sibilant highs. I don't get the M50 hype.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #38 of 62
Maybe the headphones fit loose on the OP's head? Loose fit could lose some bass for sure. On my head it was a tight fit. And there's lots of bass and some quite sibilant highs. I don't get the M50 hype.

With the stock pads, I'd actually say a tight fit, however my ears were pretty clamped. The entire ear probably wasn't within the inside of the inner opening.

With the Brainwavz HM5 pads, my entire ear is inside the inner circle (sorry for the lack of the correct terminology).

Sent from my eyefone.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #39 of 62
M50s have pathetic bass? They have a lot of bass. As many said, they aren't the bassiest headphones, but they are far from neutral, and bass is the dominant region. I've only heard them once, but from what I remember there was a plenty of bass, but it was, for my taste, too compressed. The overal sound actually was too compressed, but that's not the problem here.

However, have you considered that you might: 1. Bought a broken pair? 2. Bought a fake pair? There are a lot of fake ATH-M50.

If they are allright, but you don't like them, try Pioneer SE-M390. These are bass monsters. Too much for my taste, but I think it would fit yours. Cheers.

I purchased them from Amazon and they seem pretty d4mn legit. Packaging, cords, box, warranty card, etc etc all seem to match up from online reviews.

Sent from my eyefone.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #40 of 62
I purchased them from Amazon and they seem pretty d4mn legit. Packaging, cords, box, warranty card, etc etc all seem to match up from online reviews.

Sent from my eyefone.

My advice is then to go to some local store and try the other M50s, just to be sure you have a good working pair.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #42 of 62
As many of us have said, the M50 is quite a bassy headphone. Maybe the op needs something even more bassy?

V-Moda M100 and Denon D2000 fit the bill, maybe the old skool version of M50's too: Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm. It is a better headphone imo.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #43 of 62
Is it possible that I NEED an amp for this headphone? From what I've read, the M50x should be more than OK with an iPhone or MacBook Pro powering it... which is why I chose it (ultimate portability).

After reading up a bit more... the JVC HA-SZ2000 would essentially NEED an amp, correct? 

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #44 of 62
  Is it possible that I NEED an amp for this headphone? From what I've read, the M50x should be more than OK with an iPhone or MacBook Pro powering it... which is why I chose it (ultimate portability).

After reading up a bit more... the JVC HA-SZ2000 would essentially NEED an amp, correct? 

The M50x is easy to drive. It's just that if your source is really bad, it could mess with the sound.

You only need an amp if you want to do heavy bass boosts, which most bassheads do.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #45 of 62

SZ2000 does not need an amp but if you want your skull to rattle get a Cayin C5 or Fiio E12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back