ATH-M50's little bass.
Dec 31, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #16 of 62
I ordered a Fiio A1 desktop amp. The bass is definately there, but it feels very underpowered even with the computer volume cranked up max. It sound level is still quite low. Then again i noticed some computers have much more powerful sound cards or maybe their just plain louder. 

The drivers are probably the heaviest I seen. Not juicing them with an amp seems like an insult. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #17 of 62
The A1 is for speakers, not headphones. The E9 is what you should've had.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 62
Naw, they can get reasonably loud without an amp imo but nowhere near as much. Do you have a decent dac besides the onboard soundcard? That may add to distortion and the like. I just know that through my setup, the bass is pretty powerful.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #19 of 62
The A1 is for speakers, not headphones. The E9 is what you should've had.

O_o oh...well, that changes things. Dont those things have really high output impedance not suitable for most headphones?

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #20 of 62
Not exactly sure how the A1 works, but it for SURE is made for smallish speakers. The M50 is ridiculously easy to drive and don't benefit too much from amping. I've even used M50s with my first Schiit Lyr amp (which is a MONSTER in power), and the M50 sounded practically the exact same as it did off my E7 (very weak amp section), let alone the E9 which is powerful itself.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:
O_o oh...well, that changes things. Dont those things have really high output impedance not suitable for most headphones?

Why would a speaker amplifier have high output impedance ? It is designed for 4-8 Ohm loads, so it is expected to be less than 1 Ohm. The actual problem with the FiiO A1 for driving headphones is that it is noisy (it can be, since the same voltage generally translates to lower SPL with speakers) which the very sensitive (38 Ohm and 104 dB/mW) M50 will readily pick up, and also has higher distortion than the E9.

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 62
I am also concerned with my m50's bass....my M50's perform wonderfully on my GS3....but very....very flat and bass (muffled sound?) lacking on my computer...I've owned logitech G35's and since its USB it had its own soundcard....wonderful bass. and sound quality they actually out perform my m50's on my COMPUTER. So im wondering if my MSI motherboard just has a VERY crappy soundcard. I even noticed the maximum volume is horrible.Not sure whats wrong with mine. I've done a 48 hour burn in too. Amp/upgraded soundcard should fix this right? 

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #26 of 62
Bump!

Hey guys.. new member resurrecting an old thread, because as a member on many other forums (mostly car related), I know the pain of veterans seeing repeat threads time and time again, & having to scold the n00b to use the damn search function.

Quick intro, I'd consider myself an... audiophile? Aren't most people on this type of forum? I normally blow my money on car audio and home theater equipment.... but now that I moved to LA (Santa Monica), my new apartment has PAPER THIN WALLS. 
frown.gif

That's what I get for living a few blocks from the beach... but I can honestly hear my neighbor slide his closet door open.

That said, I began researching my first "real" pair of quality headphones. My Bose iE2s have been a solid workhorse for years.... but that won't cut it. I researched and researched a decent pair of "cans" (I guess is the correct term?).. and came away with the Audio Technica ATH-M50x. I love 'em, but had very similar thoughts as the OP.

I do listen to a fair amount of hip-hop and EDM (no dubstep or similar crap, but pop EDM a la Avicii or even similar to the example video posted, RUFUS "Paris Collides" is essentially right up my alley). I also listen to alternative rock... RHCP, etc... some misc music..

I have a pair of JL Audio 8" subs in my BMW M3.. a 12" powered Klipsch subwoofer and Bose speakers in my living room....... so I guess I'm used to a heavy amount of bass.. though it's very clean & deep. Similar to the OP: I want crystal clear highs, mids, and the bass that does hit: to be very very clean and pure. Not muddy at all.

Also, I have noticed the M50x cups to be very uncomfortable. I have fairly large ears, so I read that a decent amount of people replace them. I already ordered and installed a set of Brainwavz HM5 pleather cups and they VASTLY improve comfort. But now...... the bass is even MORE lacking.

confused.gif

I am close to returning these. I have about 8 days left to get a hassle free, full refund from Amazon. I really don't want to spend (much) more on a pair.. this was kind of my sweet spot.

Thoughts guys?

I realize these are studio monitor phones, however every review I watched/read stated that these are a tad bass heavy. Perhaps I'm just not used to this type of equipment... but I would really appreciate more bass; and would like ones with very little, if any, sound leakage for plane rides, not to annoy my neighbors (the windows are always open), and not to annoy people in public places such as coffee shops.

Did I overlook a particular pair? I've had 'em about 3 weeks now. From what I read, these are the nicest money can buy under $200.

Advice much appreciated. Mods, feel free to break this off in its own thread, I'm no robot. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 62
Wha?! The M50x has overwhelming bass.

For context, planar magnetic headphones (which are regarded as having accurate bass, and plenty of it) follow the green line in the bass. That shows you how much extra bass the M50x has. However, I have not heard the original M50, but the measurements are mostly the same.

More important than the sheer quantity of the bass is the fact that it is boomy, muddy, lacks impact, and just ruins the sound of the headphones. See how the mids aren't recessed in the measurements? Well, they sound very recessed thanks to the bass covering them up. The M50x just doesn't have very good sound quality, even with EQ.

If you want a neutral-ish closed headphone with impactful bass that doesn't ruin the sound, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is a great choice. If you want ultimate bass impact, the JVC HA-SZ2000 + JVC HA-M55X pads + bass boost and other EQ to balance the sound to taste + an amp powerful enough to handle it is the best choice.

Before you go buying other headphones, be sure to try the M50x on good gear. It's possible that it's your source that is making it lack bass for some reason. And of course, you can always boost the bass via EQ.

"Cans" is an obnoxious term casually used to refer to headphones. I refuse to use that term.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #30 of 62
Wha?! The M50x has overwhelming bass.

For context, planar magnetic headphones (which are regarded as having accurate bass, and plenty of it) follow the green line in the bass. That shows you how much extra bass the M50x has. However, I have not heard the original M50, but the measurements are mostly the same.

More important than the sheer quantity of the bass is the fact that it is boomy, muddy, lacks impact, and just ruins the sound of the headphones. See how the mids aren't recessed in the measurements? Well, they sound very recessed thanks to the bass covering them up. The M50x just doesn't have very good sound quality, even with EQ.

If you want a neutral-ish closed headphone with impactful bass that doesn't ruin the sound, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is a great choice. If you want ultimate bass impact, the JVC HA-SZ2000 + JVC HA-M55X pads + bass boost and other EQ to balance the sound to taste + an amp powerful enough to handle it is the best choice.

Before you go buying other headphones, be sure to try the M50x on good gear. It's possible that it's your source that is making it lack bass for some reason. And of course, you can always boost the bass via EQ.

"Cans" is an obnoxious term casually used to refer to headphones. I refuse to use that term.

Thank you very much, excellent input. I will research this more today. What type of additional gear (aka amp) would you suggest purchasing for an entry level set up?

I will check out those two pairs you've suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back