ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Mar 3, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #301 of 888
The STX II has a digitial output either through coax or optical. That would be better suited. Only problem is that you will not be using the STX II's DAC and instead the AVR's. If you have stereo then just use the RCA outs. If you are using surround then you can get the H6 add on card or use digital out. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #302 of 888
I'd give the uni drivers a try. I'm using them now without any problems. The fact is that Asus updates STX drivers in a very slow pace. The original STX driver for Windows 8 and 8.1 is still in beta mode.

the official drivers which im usnig with win 8.1 pro lags a lot (asio mode) while seeking in foobar. and also there is crackling when u use foobar knob for volume up/down. i changed to 32 bit asio mode which resulted in a little less lag while seeking a track but the volume knob crackling still persists !

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #303 of 888

I'd give the uni drivers a try. I'm using them now without any problems. The fact is that Asus updates STX drivers in a very slow pace. The original STX driver for Windows 8 and 8.1 is still in beta mode.

the official drivers which im usnig with win 8.1 pro lags a lot (asio mode) while seeking in foobar. and also there is crackling when u use foobar knob for volume up/down. i changed to 32 bit asio mode which resulted in a little less lag while seeking a track but the volume knob crackling still persists !

Try the uni drivers I think they will work better with Foobar.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #305 of 888
  The STX II has a digitial output either through coax or optical. That would be better suited. Only problem is that you will not be using the STX II's DAC and instead the AVR's. If you have stereo then just use the RCA outs. If you are using surround then you can get the H6 add on card or use digital out. 

The H6 add-on won't really possible, I don't think, what with the 2x graphic cards eating up a lot of space. I'll have look if I can rearrange some of my cards, but right now its probably STX II > front-panel headphones and graphic card (HDMI) > AVR > surround speakers. Will be messing about with this over the weekend, will update how it goes. I'm gonna be using the Pioneer VSX 1124K receiver, btw.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #306 of 888
So, this card  alone retails for $259.99 from competitive businesses such as Amazon or Newegg. Amazon has notified me that restocking this card will be between March 9th all the way to June.

I have a simple question about this card and it isn't going to be the traditional integrated audio VS card. Besides the output quality of this card I would like to know one thing please. Would the line input be noticeably better than a Realtek 1150 chip? I have a higher end microphone which I feel distorts easily on my Realtek while not even being that loud. It would be great if someone could test the line input on this card VS integrated side by side with voice recordings. Also, wasn't there a weird problem going around with Asus microphone inputs while playing games? It created a very strange sound that can be found on multiple sites with a quick google on the matter.

My question stands about the Asus card only. No need to explain microphone volumes to me on this thread as I don't want to get off topic.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #307 of 888
Hi

I love the card's sound improvement over my Asus Rampage V integrated sound card. I am hoping to improve on this further.

I read recommendations on swapping out stock op-amp with Muses01 and Muses02. So far, the only legit re-seller I found is Mouser. But they would charge me over 200 USD for three pieces. With that money, I could also buy Schiit's Asgard 2 or even Valhalla with a bit more.

I am using HD 700 so I am guessing there's still room for improvement on the sound from just the stock card.

Is it better on getting those Muses Op-amp or buy a Schiit Asgard 2/Valhalla?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #308 of 888
  So, this card  alone retails for $259.99 from competitive businesses such as Amazon or Newegg. Amazon has notified me that restocking this card will be between March 9th all the way to June.

I have a simple question about this card and it isn't going to be the traditional integrated audio VS card. Besides the output quality of this card I would like to know one thing please. Would the line input be noticeably better than a Realtek 1150 chip? I have a higher end microphone which I feel distorts easily on my Realtek while not even being that loud. It would be great if someone could test the line input on this card VS integrated side by side with voice recordings. Also, wasn't there a weird problem going around with Asus microphone inputs while playing games? It created a very strange sound that can be found on multiple sites with a quick google on the matter.

My question stands about the Asus card only. No need to explain microphone volumes to me on this thread as I don't want to get off topic.

From my experience with the original XONAR® STX as installed in an Asus® CM1630-06, the STX II uses the same 6.3mm TRS input jack for Mic In/Line In, but it also has a four-pin plug-in at the top of the RFI shield for an Auxiliary In (which, on my CM1630, I tapped as a line in from a modified card-slot block-off plate).  The Mic Boost gives 20 dB gain at the Mic In/Line In jack; as with any audio card or chip (with the possible exception of the E-MU®/Creative Laboratories® Professional™ 0404/e and 1010/e, which used Balanced-Mono signals in and out, and NOS Auzentech® cards with their dual-mode microphone preamplifiers for stereo single-ended or balanced mono), do take care with the microphone shielding, as the STX II's mic pre is somewhat more noise-sensitive at boosted gain than other audio chip's mic pre's.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #309 of 888
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]
Hi

I read recommendations on swapping out stock op-amp with Muses01 and Muses02.

Hi, where are you located? And I did the same, got the MUSES opamp upgrades, and did notice an improvement. Whether it's worthwhile would be a subjective opinion, but it definitely improves the SQ.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #311 of 888
Gentlemen. I own the old trusty STX with the H6 board. I love the 6 channel analog out. It's why I bought it. Also love the replaceable OpAmps.

I am currently building an X99 rig and I have an STX II 7.1 on the way. I have heard multiple reports about the factory OpAmps being subpar in quality. What are some of the recommended OpAmps out there that I can get my hands on. And if you'd kindly share where I might be able to purchase them. Kindly appreciated as always.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #312 of 888
 I am in the US.
Did you get the 01 or 02? Do you know how they differ? 

I got both the 01 and the 02, and had to research based on other posts in this forum and elsewhere on the net. Being located in Asia, I was able to get them shipped from Japan, much cheaper than buying them from Mouser. And I also contacted NJR directly to ask their advice on opamp compatibility, since I was going to swap out their lower-end models. Went with 1x02 and 2x01 in the end.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #313 of 888
I got both the 01 and the 02, and had to research based on other posts in this forum and elsewhere on the net. Being located in Asia, I was able to get them shipped from Japan, much cheaper than buying them from Mouser. And I also contacted NJR directly to ask their advice on opamp compatibility, since I was going to swap out their lower-end models. Went with 1x02 and 2x01 in the end.

So you have one 02 for the buffer and two 01s for I/V? Did NJR recommend this config? What did they say?

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #314 of 888
So you have one 02 for the buffer and two 01s for I/V? Did NJR recommend this config? What did they say?

Well, they recommended the MUSES02 to replace the 8820, and 2x MUSES01 to replace the 8920. Apparently those are the direct replacement in the higher end line of opamps. So I just went with it, and was happy with the result. Not really cost-effective, though. Here's mine:

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #315 of 888
Well, they recommended the MUSES02 to replace the 8820, and 2x MUSES01 to replace the 8920. Apparently those are the direct replacement in the higher end line of opamps. So I just went with it, and was happy with the result. Not really cost-effective, though

Thanks for the info. At least, now I know which muses to get.
regular_smile .gif

The only two legit re-sellers, that I know do orders to US address, are Digikey and Mouser. Digikey won't sell any batch smaller than 100 units and Mouser charges a fortune per piece. 

If I buy them from Mouser, I might as well buy a Schiit Asgard 2/Valhalla or some other external amp.

Anyone know whether it's better off to get those Muses or external amp like Schiit Asgard/Valhalla? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back