ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #331 of 888
I swapped out the original Muses with these LM4562 and 2 x LME49720 and now the sound is in my opinion much more softer but still crisp and mids are good and bass is there also. The original Muses setup was a bit too crisp and the highs were almost too high.. now it's much easier to listen to the music :)
I'm still going to try the LME49720NA when it arrives in the mail.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #334 of 888
  i'm using asus HDAV deluxe 7.1 feed analog to Pioneer AX10 AVR for music and film bluray. Should I upgrade to STX II for better sound? 

Hi, I wouldn't spend money on the STX II if you already own the HDAV Deluxe 7.1, I own both. I use the HDAV on my HTPC and the STX II 7.1 on my gaming rig.. I don't see or hear any difference when watching movies. The one thing that the HDAV doesn't have is the headphone amp, but then if you use the HDAV to watch movies using the rca outs then it's all good.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #335 of 888
thanks for your share. And how about stereo music? with new design and components such as clock, opamps... STX II would be better HDAV deluxe? as I use HDAV for movie and stereo music with same AVR and speakers system.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #336 of 888
  thanks for your share. And how about stereo music? with new design and components such as clock, opamps... STX II would be better HDAV deluxe? as I use HDAV for movie and stereo music with same AVR and speakers system.

I don't think you'll be able to hear any difference on the stereo side either because you are routing all through your receiver. Even if you would use the output directly to speakers from your soundcards hearing the difference would require a good audiophile ear :)

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #337 of 888
Hey all

I finally went ahead and purchased Lyr 2 and use the STX 2 as DAC. But I am disappointed. My right HD700 phone is filled with static noise. There's so many potential variables at play. Now I am wondering if it's STX 2's fault.

But without any external amp, it performed without much noise. Does anyone else have similar issue with using STX 2 as DAC?

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #338 of 888
  I swapped out the original Muses with these LM4562 and 2 x LME49720 and now the sound is in my opinion much more softer but still crisp and mids are good and bass is there also. The original Muses setup was a bit too crisp and the highs were almost too high.. now it's much easier to listen to the music :)
I'm still going to try the LME49720NA when it arrives in the mail.

Glad to hear you liked the change. Let us know how it sounds with the 3 LME49720NA's.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #339 of 888
Here's something interesting; at least once a week when I turn my computer on my mic is sometimes completely dead, as if it isn't even plugged in. A restart fixes it, but there's nothing I can find wrong with the card or the microphone.

Any ideas?

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #340 of 888
Hey all

I finally went ahead and purchased Lyr 2 and use the STX 2 as DAC. But I am disappointed. My right HD700 phone is filled with static noise. There's so many potential variables at play. Now I am wondering if it's STX 2's fault.

But without any external amp, it performed without much noise. Does anyone else have similar issue with using STX 2 as DAC?

How did you hook up the soundcard to the Lyr?

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #342 of 888

Glad to hear you liked the change. Let us know how it sounds with the 3 LME49720NA's.

Hi,

I think I liked the LM4562 more than 3 x LME49720NA. But the difference I hard to hear.. I think the latter has a bit more sharper highs that might make the ears hurt a bit if listened too close or with too much volume.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #343 of 888
  Here's something interesting; at least once a week when I turn my computer on my mic is sometimes completely dead, as if it isn't even plugged in. A restart fixes it, but there's nothing I can find wrong with the card or the microphone.

Any ideas?

Another problem I sometimes get; Volume/gain seems to double, like a "110%" button has been pressed, makes every windows sound, ventrilo sound, music and movies just .. overloud. Turning my volume down doesn't make this effect go away. It only stops after restarting my computer. Same with the dead microphone problem.

If I'm the only person that has experienced either of these I'll stop being lazy and do some googling, but just wondered if anyone here had similar experiences.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #344 of 888
  So I picked it up today. After a little testing I definitely like it more than ZxR soundwise from a soundstaging point of view but the funny thing is that I still think the onboard Realtek solution on my ASRock Extreme6 Z87 with a ALC1150 chip and two TI NE5532 onboard amps sounds (which is by far the best sounding onboard chip solution I've tried) at least like 80% of that of STX II and has a very similar sound signature too, only small small differences. The ZxR stood out more clearly in sound having a much more bloated subbass response and the highs slightly bit toned down. The STX II in comparison to the ZxR is less bloated in the subbass and a brighter but the onboard may be like ~5% brighter still leading to the STX II sounding ever so bit smoother/more fullbodied than the onboard. For my equipment the STX II and Realtek is a much better fit making the ZxR sound too warm and too bloated in the subbass.

So far it's difficult to say with the stock STX II opamps whether or not I prefer the Realtek or STX II, the Realtek have suprisingly tight and punchy bass characteristics which is highly attractive to me personally, in that aspect it may even be slightly bit favorable but the mids may be like slightly bit favorable towards STX II but I'm unsure whether I find the highs TOO smooth or not. Might need to try some other opamps.

Edit: The other included opamps just plain sucked to my ears, not that much of a different sound signature, just less clear, almost shockingly muffled so avoid those, there's a reason the muse (although cheaper models) are used by default. 

Ok but between two who sound much forgiving ? ZXR or STX ?
STX have bloated bass also bass boost effect disable ?

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #345 of 888
Maybe it's time to finally retire my trusty Xonar DG 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back