ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Feb 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #286 of 888
  The truth is you probably want the normal setup as you will be using the crossover built into the software. The main thing with low DPC vs. normal is that the normal one has the Xonar control center running all the time and that uses more computer resources and adds the smallest of delays. When I had my sub with the H6 I used normal. When I got my new sub with a built in crossover I did not need the H6 and then used Low DPC. Also since you will be using speakers and headphones you will need the control center to switch back and forth so again use normal. 

As for connecting the sub, make sure the crossover is set to the maximum as you want the Xonar handling the crossover. As for which input to use, I would say it probably does not matter. I looked at your model and REL is kind of advertising it has having dual inputs and dual volume so with one you can use it for music and one can be used with home theater. In the manual it says to use LFE when you are receiving signal from a processor which is the Xonar so use that. You can always try both and see if there is a difference. 

Hi BT,

thanks for your reply.
Ok I will install the normal unidriver software. What do you mean by when you said that you do not need the H6 cards sub out no more? You did get a new subwoofer Presonus T10? Does the T10 have more input and outputs than the REL T5?
How are you hooking up your new sub with the STX II or are you using a separate DAC for speaker / sub connection?

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #287 of 888
My old Yamaha sub had nothing but an rca input, not even a low pass filter. So I needed the H6 to handle the crossover. 

My new Presonus T10 has inputs and crossovers galore. I go from the DAC to the subwoofer and then out to the speakers. The subwoofer has a variable low pass filter and an optional high pass filter at 80hz. I persoanlly run my speakers full range. 

Compared to the REL, I have a lot more input/outputs and flexibility. Studio subwoofers always have bass management built in. No matter what DAC, Xonar or what I am using now, 2.1 will work. 

Sometimes, you can get away with running the speakers full range and simply splitting one channels audio and run that through the sub with a low pass filter set. H6 though will be perfect for you. 

If you have not bought the REL yet I would consider getting the Presonus T10 or something like the SVS SB1000. Both have bass management so no need for the H6. 

What speakers are you using?

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #288 of 888

Compared to the REL, I have a lot more input/outputs and flexibility. Studio subwoofers always have bass management built in. No matter what DAC, Xonar or what I am using now, 2.1 will work. 

Sometimes, you can get away with running the speakers full range and simply splitting one channels audio and run that through the sub with a low pass filter set. H6 though will be perfect for you. 

If you have not bought the REL yet I would consider getting the Presonus T10 or something like the SVS SB1000. Both have bass management so no need for the H6. 

What speakers are you using?

Well unfortunately I have already purchased the REL T5. But all in all it should be good sub with tight low end responses especially when listening to music. They told me at store from where I purchased it that if I use the Low Level input instead of the LFE input that then the subs own crossover filter would be in use. Well we'll  just have to see what happens and try both of them out. I have the sub and now I'm waiting for the H6 to arrive.. I'm guessing it will arrive on Friday or on next Monday.

I'm using KEF x300a as speakers connected with mini stereo -> rca out on the STX 2.
The KEFs frequency response 49 Hz–45 kHz (–6dB), so I should set the xonars crossover pretty low I guess?

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #290 of 888
  Well unfortunately I have already purchased the REL T5. But all in all it should be good sub with tight low end responses especially when listening to music. They told me at store from where I purchased it that if I use the Low Level input instead of the LFE input that then the subs own crossover filter would be in use. Well we'll  just have to see what happens and try both of them out. I have the sub and now I'm waiting for the H6 to arrive.. I'm guessing it will arrive on Friday or on next Monday.

I'm using KEF x300a as speakers connected with mini stereo -> rca out on the STX 2.
The KEFs frequency response 49 Hz–45 kHz (–6dB), so I should set the xonars crossover pretty low I guess?

It really won't matter as the crossover will be handled by the Xonar. LFE again is used when a pre amp/processor is handling the crossover duties so that is preferred. 

As for crossover frequency I prefer 70hz with 50hz speakers. 70-80hz would be the range you want to play with. Any lower and you lose mid bass, any higher you start getting bass that is localized and muddy. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #291 of 888
  It really won't matter as the crossover will be handled by the Xonar. LFE again is used when a pre amp/processor is handling the crossover duties so that is preferred. 

As for crossover frequency I prefer 70hz with 50hz speakers. 70-80hz would be the range you want to play with. Any lower and you lose mid bass, any higher you start getting bass that is localized and muddy. 

Cool thanks for your help, I will let you know how I got it working later on when the H6 arrives.
Ps. Any advice if I wanted to purchase an mini preamp that would come between speakers, sub and STX 2 for controlling all the volume from one place. Now the volume is controlled from windows which is not so handy even if I can use the keyboard F1, F2, F3 etc. ?

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #292 of 888
I use windows volume, sound quality will not be different. If you would like a physical knob to turn then get a Schiit Sys or Emotiva Control Freak. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #293 of 888
  I use windows volume, sound quality will not be different. If you would like a physical knob to turn then get a Schiit Sys or Emotiva Control Freak. 

Thanks, I think I'll manage with the keyboard.
I hooked up the H6 addon card and I have played some music and testing out the REL T5 and it has a good punch so I'm satisfied with the purchase.

Asus original drivers works when setting speakers to 5.1 and channels to 2 and setting Flexbass to on and then using the subs Low level input to set the crossover frequency. I'm not sure if I'll will be installing the UNi Xonar Drivers, are there any big improvements using them versus asus own drivers?

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #294 of 888
  Thanks, I think I'll manage with the keyboard.
I hooked up the H6 addon card and I have played some music and testing out the REL T5 and it has a good punch so I'm satisfied with the purchase.

Asus original drivers works when setting speakers to 5.1 and channels to 2 and setting Flexbass to on and then using the subs Low level input to set the crossover frequency. I'm not sure if I'll will be installing the UNi Xonar Drivers, are there any big improvements using them versus asus own drivers?

The unofficial drivers are better and you should get them. Yes it works, but a problem I had was stuff like video games and movies being up mixed to 5.1. This meant I was missing dialogue and many of the sound effects. Uni drivers allow you to disable stereo up mixing. In general I had less issues with those drivers.  

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #295 of 888
  The unofficial drivers are better and you should get them. Yes it works, but a problem I had was stuff like video games and movies being up mixed to 5.1. This meant I was missing dialogue and many of the sound effects. Uni drivers allow you to disable stereo up mixing. In general I had less issues with those drivers.  

Ok I will use them and test some gaming. thanks.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #296 of 888

so is it better to uninstall official drivers and use unified ? for windows 8.1 pro..

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #297 of 888

so is it better to uninstall official drivers and use unified ? for windows 8.1 pro..

I'd give the uni drivers a try. I'm using them now without any problems. The fact is that Asus updates STX drivers in a very slow pace. The original STX driver for Windows 8 and 8.1 is still in beta mode.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #298 of 888
So I'm thinking of moving my gaming rig with the Asus Essence STX II into the den, since I hardly watch anything on TV anymore. How do I hookup the output from the PC to my AVR (a Pioneer VSX 1124K), since it will be the source for both audio and video? The plan is to watch stuff with the audio going to the AVR and on to my speakers, and video/gaming on the TV. If I just run the HDMI output from the graphic card, I'm thinking the sound quality will be degraded. Any suggestions guys? 

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #299 of 888
  So I'm thinking of moving my gaming rig with the Asus Essence STX II into the den, since I hardly watch anything on TV anymore. How do I hookup the output from the PC to my AVR (a Pioneer VSX 1124K), since it will be the source for both audio and video? The plan is to watch stuff with the audio going to the AVR and on to my speakers, and video/gaming on the TV. If I just run the HDMI output from the graphic card, I'm thinking the sound quality will be degraded. Any suggestions guys? 

Yes you should be good with graphics cards HDMI out, depending on card make and model it will probably output DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD lossless audio in your movies. What graphics card are you using?

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #300 of 888
Yes you should be good with graphics cards HDMI out, depending on card make and model it will probably output DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD lossless audio in your movies. What graphics card are you using?

I've got two of these guys: www.asus.com/my/Graphics_Cards/R9290XDC2OC4GD5/ , the Asus R9290x. I'll give it a try later this week, once I get the place cleaned up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back