Are there any IEM that can match the bass of Big Cans?
Dec 30, 2007 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Ocelaris

New Head-Fier
I know this is comparing apples to oranges. But very simple question really, if you've heard the DT 770, ATH-Pro700, AKG K81, ATH-J5 etc... some really bass laden big stomping cans. Is there an IEM that can match that? I mean, even rumbly if I crank it... without of course destroying my ears. but the IEM isolation is so good, it would be great, but because I had a bad experience with an unnamed set and blew 50$ because I could not obviously return earwax coated IEMs, I'm hesitant to ever try them again.

I would wear a pair of shoes on my head if they isolated completely like IEMs and had the bass I want... I'm not embarrassed, but it's a battle between clamping force, weight, isolation and bass...

Can an IEM Match a good closed can for bass?

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, my IEM's exceed the quantity of bass in all my full sized cans.

-Ed

Yeah? And which IEM are these by the way?

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 22
UM2's SE530 Marshmallows 5eb and Bose IE....all have some massive bass.

In order of cleanest to bloated...the 5eb isn't really bloated, it's just abundant, but many say significant burn in cleans/tightens them up.

I don't have MUCH experience with the 5eb or IE in extended uses, but from what I remember it was crazy.

The UM2's offer warm-deep bass, without too much impact, whereas the SE530 does the opposite, punchy, just not as deep (IMO). The Mallows are like unrefined versions of both and can go both deep and have plenty of impact, it's just not as resolving/detailed.

The 5EBs just slam you with bass and the IE have bass, but meh, it sounds one note-ish.

IMO, the closest to a DT770 bass only is a Mallow or 5EB. As far of entirely, I would say SE530 or UM2, except, the UM2 doesn't get as sparkley in the top registers.

Dec 30, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 22
Thank you for all your input. I had the etymotic 6i, and they didn't have any bass (IMO)... They rolled off at about oh... 200hz and at a 4th order crossover... they were that bad.

I am totally willing to change my mind, 180* flip if there are some relatively cheap IEMs that have bass, or can PROVE at least beyond a reasonable doubt that the 200$ ones can provide bass. I just don't wanna sink 200$ into a set of Super.fi EB to be disappointed again. But I'd be hella glad to stop carrying around these 1 lb ear muffs so I can get my daily cup o' bass.

We've heard alot from the IEM folks... but the votes don't show it... How bout it can heads?

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 22
My denons C700 have deep, satisfying bass too.

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocelaris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am totally willing to change my mind, 180* flip if there are some relatively cheap IEMs that have bass, or can PROVE at least beyond a reasonable doubt that the 200$ ones can provide bass. I just don't wanna sink 200$ into a set of Super.fi EB to be disappointed again. But I'd be hella glad to stop carrying around these 1 lb ear muffs so I can get my daily cup o' bass.

We've heard alot from the IEM folks... but the votes don't show it... How bout it can heads?

Honestly, I don't think there's any chance you'll be disappointed in the bass that IEMs like the Super.fi 5 EBs produce. Every single review of them that I've read says they have lots or too much bass. I have the Super.fi 5 Pro, and they have easily enough bass for me, an avid DT770 fan.

I should also say that the EBs shouldn't cost you $200.

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 22
Well my E500s are on par with my cans and as far as I see they match the bass in quantity with some high end cans, but you don't get the impact you get from fullsize cans, in particular if you are into watching movies.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 22
I’m very happy with the old MylarOne XB’s, they only seemed to get better over time, they produce a dynamic warm sound in which the soundstage and depth opened up nicely over the 90 hour mark and now with close to 200 hours the bass is still kicking strong, it’s a real shame that you can’t get these anymore. I can’t speak of the new "i" series as I don’t own them, but another must look for you or any bass head would be the m5 as PeterDLai has already recommended.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 22
The Sennhesier CX 300 has good bass, maybe too much with some set-ups. It is also fairly efficient which means that it will work well with underpowered amplifiers. Bass is not just about having lots of bass response, but having dynamic power such that you will get some punch and drive to the music. In fact the CX300 is an amazingly good match to the 2 gb Ipod Nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back