Are iPods bad?
Jan 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #46 of 69
I just bought the latest iPod touch 32GB.And i compared it with my iPod classic 80GB.And the Classic sounds better.Better bass is a definite.But don't they both have the Cirrus Logic chips?I guess they cheaped out with the capacitors and headphone out configuration.Oh well.I might be returning the touch.Apple just doesn't get it! Still have my Cowon S9 also!
Update-Oh i forgot about my impressive Samsung Galaxy S2 audio.With it rooted and the custom CheckRom Revolution 4.It might be the best of all my current players.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #47 of 69

Quote:
I just bought the latest iPod touch 32GB.And i compared it with my iPod classic 80GB.And the Classic sounds better.Better bass is a definite.But don't they both have the Cirrus Logic chips?I guess they cheaped out with the capacitors and headphone out configuration.Oh well.I might be returning the touch.Apple just doesn't get it! Still have my Cowon S9 also!
Update-Oh i forgot about my impressive Samsung Galaxy S2 audio.With it rooted and the custom CheckRom Revolution 4.It might be the best of all my current players.

I thought the ipod classic had the Wolfson dac?

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 69
The truth shall set you free:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Hardware

Personally, I dont buy into this single-minded obsession with a $5 piece of silicon, but whatever gets ya thru the night.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
The truth shall set you free:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Hardware

Personally, I dont buy into this single-minded obsession with a $5 piece of silicon, but whatever gets ya thru the night.

Pretty much you hate ipods lol. I felt the same way but I have an iphone4 and for what it does, its pretty good. Still don't compare to the Sflo2, Hifiman 601, or Studio V.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #50 of 69
@lee730-The ones before the 6th Generations are Wolfsons.But not all of them.from what i remember and read the 4,5 and 5.5 Gs have Wolfs and some of the Nanos.Also the first and second Gen iPhones/touches also.I actually lost a 5th G video at work .The person who found it and didn't return it is lucky in more ways then one.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #51 of 69

Quote:
@lee730-The ones before the 6th Generations are Wolfsons.But not all of them.from what i remember and read the 4,5 and 5.5 Gs have Wolfs and some of the Nanos.Also the first and second Gen iPhones/touches also.I actually lost a 5th G video at work .The person who found it and didn't return it is lucky in more ways then one.

That would be because he scored and ipod and you'd have kicked the $hit out of him :wink:. There are some great audiophile players out there and surprisingly they are starting to get better at the UI.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #52 of 69

Quote:

Add the Equalizer app to the Touch....it will then sound just like you want it to sound.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #53 of 69
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #54 of 69
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #56 of 69

Quote:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer/id321267949?mt=8

It takes a little time and effort to master how to set the EQ, but once you do, it's amazing.

Looks intriguing.If it helps to equal my ipod classic in sound quality.Then it's worth $2.99.The Stereophonic Equalizer also looks interesting.I'm a firm believer in equalization for better sound.Especially after i upgraded my Samsung GS2's firmware and used Player Pro to improve SQ.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #57 of 69

Quote:
Media monkey is a great alternative to itunes. I'm just not sure if they have been updated to support IOS5 yet. Won't be loading any music to my iphone4 until this happens, I hate itunes with a passion.

I liked it but had many problems with it. It supports and plays a lot of formats well. But I felt the "now playing" section was very limited. There wasn't a replay button that actually replayed teh song. And it din't use windows theme. you could switch it to use it. But then it would look terrible. I "could" mod it..but why do when iTunes does the same.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #58 of 69

Quote:
Didn't you own a Cowon before? Surprised you moved on from them..

Yes, I had a D2 and an i9. Got them after the Touch, actually. The i9 was better sounding, being of the following generation, with newer enhancements as well. But those enhancements can be a double-edged sword if one's not careful, and the menu structure of the i9 is maddening and unintuitive. So, wanting to try something new, I moved on and traded them away.

I'm glad I had them, so I could experience the whole Cowon mystique first-hand.....but I have no regrets on trading them away.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #59 of 69

Quote:
Yes, I had a D2 and an i9. Got them after the Touch, actually. The i9 was better sounding, being of the following generation, with newer enhancements as well. But those enhancements can be a double-edged sword if one's not careful, and the menu structure of the i9 is maddening and unintuitive. So, wanting to try something new, I moved on and traded them away.

I'm glad I had them, so I could experience the whole Cowon mystique first-hand.....but I have no regrets on trading them away.

I kinda just try to stay away from the touch screen scene. Although Apple does it in spades and makes it quite easy to navigate. I'm so in love with the Studio V though for its simple and fast UI. I just like getting to the point, and don't need those extras for a FLAC DAP.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #60 of 69

Quote:
Looks intriguing.If it helps to equal my ipod classic in sound quality.Then it's worth $2.99.The Stereophonic Equalizer also looks interesting.I'm a firm believer in equalization for better sound.Especially after i upgraded my Samsung GS2's firmware and used Player Pro to improve SQ.

It made my Touch sound as good or better than any other player I've tried....Rockboxed Sansas, Cowons, Samsungs, the iPod 5G with the Wolfson chip, Zune HD....all through the headphone-out. I haven't tried the latest Classic, but I doubt that it sounds better than my Touch can sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back