Are iPods bad?
Jan 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #16 of 69
I think a lot of threads are talking about of older Apple products. The most recent few generations are much regarded. In short if a comment, or thread isn't specific about the generation they are talking about. Ignore it.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 69
The ipod's are fantastic. Every year they get better. Every model sounds better than the last. Already better than any phone or regular pmp on the market. it uses a Cirrus Logic DAC (or Wolfson if you have an old one) these sound good and if you use a LOD to bypass the amp...let's just say wow. Jude himself uses an ipod :)

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 69
I don't think you can't beat an iPod for portable use.  Use a LOD or Waida dock and amp it for more serious listening.  Hell with some good IEMs/buds straight out of the iPod is great.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 69

Quote:
I don't think you can't beat an iPod for portable use.  Use a LOD or Waida dock and amp it for more serious listening.  Hell with some good IEMs/buds straight out of the iPod is great.

:) i think u messed up in teh opening sentence. but yeah. the straight out isn't bad. it packs some good mW and is high quality and has lesss distortion, noise and whatever than competitng pmp players and phones. however in terms of audiophile standards. the jack and internal amp still muddies up the signal and sound a bit. A cheap L9 or L3 (don't buy the L1) $9-$13 from FiiO is fantastic :) then u just need a cheap amp :) the E6 is great. FiiO has built itself an audio empire with the E17 breaking into the $250 portable market. They are a very inspirational company :) in 2 years achieving such sucess!
I can only think of one song for this feeling of mine

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 69

Quote:
I've owned iPod Touch 3rd gen and  iPod Classic 6-7th gen over the years. None of them even came close to what Zune or Cowon offer in sound quality.

We are all entiled to our own opinions i guess. But depending on what genre's you listen to and what equipment you use/have used. It could lead to many differnt results. teh majority opinion on head-fi however is that....go with an ipod unless u need others for a specific purpose or needs one of it's fuctions or internal parts

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 69
To get the best out of an iPod I would recommend an iPod Touch with EQU, Equalizer or SonicMax app or either a Rockboxed iPod 1G to 5.5G, iPod Nano 1 or Nano 2. In saying that the Sound Quality on the new iPod Nano 6G is really good flat with no EQ. Its crisp clean highs and punchy bass are marvelous.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #24 of 69

Quote:
To get the best out of an iPod I would recommend an iPod Touch with EQU, Equalizer or SonicMax app or either a Rockboxed iPod 1G to 5.5G, iPod Nano 1 or Nano 2. In saying that the Sound Quality on the new iPod Nano 6G is really good flat with no EQ. Its crisp clean highs and punchy bass are marvelous.

we all say the same thing which is great :)
Apple just keeps on improving it's sound every year. it's behind the scenes, but very important.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #25 of 69

Quote:
Depends, my iPhone 4s sounds way better than my Google Nexus S, where as my iPod Classic (latest gen.) has the biggest bass roll off, sometimes it feels as if there is no low end. I really think it depends on the model, and how they implement the DAC/Amp with the software.

This is where synergy also comes in. I bet you that iPod Classic would sound really nice with the Sennheiser IE8 due to the lack of bass.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 69

Quote:
This is where synergy also comes in. I bet you that iPod Classic would sound really nice with the Sennheiser IE8 due to the lack of bass.

many use it :) Like Jude himself and most full blown Head-Fier's use it too. Even the bass heads. The bass heads would usually from what i see just bypass the amp and use their own bassy amp and that's what most do. However...like u said with the ipod classic. every ipod is a bit different and so the synergy is a bit different...now we get into full blown people. :) Cypher labs Algorythm Solo to bypass the DAC...and it can be urs for a payment of $599!

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 69

Quote:
many use it :) Like Jude himself and most full blown Head-Fier's use it too. Even the bass heads. The bass heads would usually from what i see just bypass the amp and use their own bassy amp and that's what most do. However...like u said with the ipod classic. every ipod is a bit different and so the synergy is a bit different...now we get into full blown people. :) Cypher labs Algorythm Solo to bypass the DAC...and it can be urs for a payment of $599!

I think I'll stick with my Studio V and IE80. No need to carry around a ticking time bomb and still have amazing sound quality with a Class A amp and 85+ hours of FLAC playback time :).

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #28 of 69

Quote:
I think I'll stick with my Studio V and IE80. No need to carry around a ticking time bomb and still have amazing sound quality with a Class A amp and 85+ hours of FLAC playback time :).

ticking time bomb? I doubt most have problems with the ipod. it's a little annoying at times to arrange ur music but that's usually due to organization skills of humans.

The Studio V isn't widely availble and that's one of the problems. the Class A amp and 85+ hours you put there sound fantastic though :) if it was more widely availble that would be great.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 69

Quote:

This is so true. My bassy FX700's go really well with my iPod Touch 4G but don't go so well with any of my Sony daps unless I reduce the bass. When I had the bass-shy UE700's, they sounded horribly thin and hollow with the Touch, but sounded a lot better with my Sony daps. The one thing I've observed about the Touch is that it's much more fussy about what I pair it with than my Walkmans. It sounds better to my ears with fuller sounding bassier phones like TF10, IE8, W3 for example, than with phones like PFE, UE700 or ER-4P.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #30 of 69

Quote:
This is so true. My bassy FX700's go really well with my iPod Touch 4G but don't go so well with any of my Sony daps unless I reduce the bass. When I had the bass-shy UE700's, they sounded horribly thin and hollow with the Touch, but sounded a lot better with my Sony daps. The one thing I've observed about the Touch is that it's much more fussy about what I pair it with than my Walkmans. It sounds better to my ears with fuller sounding bassier phones like TF10, IE8, W3 for example, than with phones like PFE, UE700 or ER-4P.

Pshaa! who cares! Just go and get an ALO audio LOD. plug it into That Cypher labs solo!. and bypass the cypher labs amp and then get your own fully SYNERGIZED amp and use it with the cypher labs!
That's how bosses do it.
I'm kinda joking but yeah. i get what you are saying :) People don't realize that the ipod's do some amazing stuff. Web Browsing, apps, movies, airplay, games, etc and audiophile loved :) starting at $199

Users who are viewing this thread

Back