Are headphones really high end?
Sep 11, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #76 of 88
Well....yes....but...

Many of the current headphones on the market have many flaws. For one I find that in order to get a flat sounding Headphone they always sound dull?!?

Now there are many speakers I have heard (B&W 802, 803, and Focal 1027be) that come to mind that are very flat and still have tons of energy!

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #77 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well....yes....but...

Many of the current headphones on the market have many flaws. For one I find that in order to get a flat sounding Headphone they always sound dull?!?

Now there are many speakers I have heard (B&W 802, 803, and Focal 1027be) that come to mind that are very flat and still have tons of energy!

Measured in your listening room, including all reflexes that affects the sound you hear, those speakers would not be flat. I assume those speakers would sound very dull in an anechoic chamber.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #78 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah im still fussing with minor quiblles in mine for the better part of a year, i am considering moving the subs to a different room to use the walls as sort of a natural crossover and aid in masking the location of the bass. with my powered subs in the listening room the noisefloor is raised slightly and i feel the bass is not totally omnidirectional. when i go to the next room with only the subs playing its just deep bass as it should be, i dont think it will encroach on the midrange or imaging of the Druids as much.

its really down to slight nitpicking at this point but im overall happy with the speakers presentation.

If its down to nitpicking, then you're pretty much there. Congratulations! I had to deal with a square room which was a nightmare, but now I have a rectangle room to deal with... much better.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and single-driver headphones don't have the distortion caused by crossover networks.

Yes but single drivers cause many problems of there own.
Strong notes (bass) tend to wash out details (tamber in the drumbs/voices/ highs).

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #80 of 88
I am a little surprised at this thread. I've been around high end audio for a long time and I've never heard any other transducer that does musically what a pair Akg K1000s do. I usually find Robm's opinions here reasonable and illuminating, but anybody that tells you that a pair of K1000s isn't as big a listening thrill as any other given pair of high end speakers is blowing smoke. I have a pair of Magnepans down stairs for musical "scale." Guess what sounds more like real music? I'll give you a hint -- they look really silly on your head...

k1000smile.gif
Kevin

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #81 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes but single drivers cause many problems of there own.
Strong notes (bass) tend to wash out details (tamber in the drumbs/voices/ highs).

my thoughts exactly,its crazy how people claim crossover networks cause distortion,why do you think they add the extra drivers in the first place,to sperate the music so it dont kill each other,i mean bass mids and highs ofcourse,single driver earphones unless very good indeed struggle with creating the whole frequency very well.

brings me back to the point that people say something like the er4p has better bass than the se530...erm how exactly its single driver and has no bass,wonder why they left that out...oh yeh to reduce distortion risk...

but thats another thread debate

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #82 of 88
the ER4 sounds more realistic than the E500 even if the bass isn't quite as good. I don't what music Jeffrey Horwitz listens to that he would think the UE10s/11s suffer compared to the Shures. The ultimate Ears customs are on a whole different level from the Shures. Sound quality wise, the shures shouldn't cost more than 300 bucks because you really are losing the bulk of the upper register. The ER4 costs 180 bucks, thats what the E500s should cost, they sound not as good, who cares if its more drivers. When you hear the UE10 or UE11s then you hear a really substantial difference in quality.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #83 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my thoughts exactly,its crazy how people claim crossover networks cause distortion,

They do cause distortion. It can be calculated, simulated, and measured.

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #86 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if you could sync a external subwoofer with your headphone to feel the bass and get the detailed sound at the same time
biggrin.gif

That would be very simple to set up. Actually, I'm sitting right next to an unused subwoofer right now.. hmm... Only problem is pumping sub-bass on its own in the house.

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #87 of 88
I would say yes. I have heard some $5K+ speakers with pricess amps... and the sound I get from good headphones (I have 595) "comapares" to that kind of system... Not quite the same... but big bang for the buck.. right?

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #88 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High end, denotes cost IMO. The cost difference between these two types of Hi-Fidelity reproduction "Systems" favors the headphone reproduction system based upon cost / benefit of a Hi-Fidelity reproduction sound system IMO & E. Although, the two are quite different in their presentations, they can be compared. I would love to have a floorstander and amps that would sound like my Opera/k701s but i fear it would cost $5000+ plus room treatments and higher operating costs.

I was told by a revered headfier I'd need to spend upwards of 10,000 on a speaker set up to better the SQ of my headphone set up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back