APureSound: The Ultimate Cable Manufacturer Introduces The V3 Headphone Cable
Feb 2, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #151 of 846
1/8 to 1/4 Cable Adapter, (2) 3pin XLR to 1/4, and a Grado RS-1 with button.
smily_headphones1.gif

Click image to enter photo gallery.

-Alex-

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #152 of 846
Any word on how you are coming on cables for the UE-11?

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #153 of 846
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any word on how you are coming on cables for the UE-11?

It is currently in development. No final word as to when it will be ready, but it will definitely be worth the wait once it is done.

Thanks,
Alex

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #157 of 846
Well I do. This is a lower serial # pair which I got for recable. After recabling them I spent some time doing tests on the stock cable and I must say Sony really screwed up here. 0.9ohm for each channel and 0.6ohm on ground. The ground is a shield running through covering a PVC covered wire (channel). Looking at the wire itself since the insulation is clear allows me to see the stock wire is all oxidized!

So in short. Cheap thin wire pulled in through tubing and then sleeved with black material. Good job Sony on such a nice high end headphone.

Here is an after picture:

05.JPG

More pictures here: APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure

Say what you will, but I am disappointed with such an expensive headphone as far as the cable goes.

Oh and yes the V3 cable was soldered directly to the driver. No splicing!

11.JPG

-Alex-

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #160 of 846
Not quite on topic ...but [Ak]Zip do you have more pictures from the inside of an MDR R10,pictures with their driver?? Please post them on Driver Pics Thread, or here... does not matter (same story with other world class headphones) You have a great camera, you had seen a great variety of headphones from inside out Can you ? Sorry for the offtopic!

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #161 of 846
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite on topic ...but [Ak]Zip do you have more pictures from the inside of an MDR R10,pictures with their driver?? Please post them on Driver Pics Thread, or here... does not matter (same story with other world class headphones) You have a great camera, you had seen a great variety of headphones from inside out Can you ? Sorry for the offtopic!

I did not take any other photo's of the driver or the inside of the headphones as I have no need to. The one photo was take to show that the wire is soldered directly to the driver and that there is no splicing.

Thanks,
Alex

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #162 of 846
edited:
i jsut wrote some pretty screwed up s**t!

i do disagree with many of alex's comments on the quality of the R10 cable. some very trick features are downplayed by him.

to add to that: although i dont agree with re-cabling (or doing much of anything short of restoration and repair) of rare headphones for the risks of changing a sound and simple damage, it looks like very nice work.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #163 of 846
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edited:

i do disagree with many of alex's comments on the quality of the R10 cable. some very trick features are downplayed by him.

to add to that: although i dont agree with re-cabling (or doing much of anything short of restoration and repair) of rare headphones for the risks of changing a sound and simple damage, it looks like very nice work.

First of all these headphones main reason for recable is because the stock cable is of such poor build quality that it came to me damaged with the left channel cutting in and out.

Also, what part of what I wrote do you not agree with? Have you actually ever looked at the R10 cable? If not I high suggest you do before making comments like this. If you have seen the stock cable (and not just from the outside) then I would like to know what you consider a bad cable if you don't consider the R10 cable bad. I have recabled most all headphones and this has got to be up there with one of the worst cables I have ever seen on a headphone.

-Alex-

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #164 of 846
The stock R10 cable is incredibly fragile and poorly assembled. Believe it or not, the center yoke (Y section where left and right cables meet) is held together inside with ZIP TIES.

My cable was already damaged when I bought mine used many years ago. I made repairs, and in the process I can already see the cable has started to oxidize and the cable itself is quite fragile.

I am quite impressed with your work, Alex. Depending on how well, or badly I do with tax time, I may be sending my R10's your way.
wink.gif

-Ed

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #165 of 846
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edited:

The only "trick" features are the silk wrap on the outside. Which is rather fragile and prone to fraying if you are not careful. The rest of the cable is a clear tube with the small wires inside. While this makes for a pleasantly round and firm cable, you have to be really careful with wrapping/winding up the cable when you are putting the R10's away. The wires inside can get twisted up inside easily. And over time, it can cause too much twisting and damage the wire, which is probably why the cable he replaced was intermittent on one side.

So there is a rather unique cord wrapping routine I go through when putting my R10's cable away.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back