Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #121 of 552
use the knob on the duet for volume if you're listening using the duet as an amp. Otherwise, turn duet all the way up, and use your amp volume control.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #122 of 552
It's rather odd, on some quieter tracks, mostly the Thomas Tallis Lynn Records is flogging on the front of their web site, it hits the red and there's some obvious clipping. Not sure what is going on there. I'll have to check if it's actually the recording.

I guess the Duet is Flavour of the Month.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #124 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it hits red, the clipping is definitely in the recording. Not unusual.

If there were no lights on the Duet, I don't think anyone would worry about this
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #125 of 552
Yup. The lights are there for the benefit of people doing recording. Remember, the apogee is primarily designed to be used the way people used to use 4 tracks. Don't stress when the light comes on if you're listening to someone else's recording. They've screwed up, not you.

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #126 of 552
red lights don't mean clipping for output. This device won't show you clipping, as far as I know. That is a digital peak dBFs meter - the highest led shows 0 dBFs which is the max clean value for digital output. Many if not all current popular recordings hit 0 dBFs regularly and it's not clipping - values above 0 would clip, but you have no way of knowing that with this meter. If you're hearing clipping, it is because of one or more of these reasons: your next stage is being overloaded. That is something that happens in the analog domain, post-DAC. To figure out if this is happening with 100% accuracy, you need the output voltage spec of the Duet and the input voltage spec (handling) of your next stage. Clipping could be present in the recordings - we can probably rule this out by playing that original disc in a good cd player - a known 'control' environment. Clipping could still be happening prior to the DAC if there is any positive processing going on. The only example of this that would be relevant is the EQ and Sound Enhancer settings in iTunes. Be sure you have these terrible things turned off. That's about all I can think of right now...

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #131 of 552
i think it's possible to get the Duet working a regular pc,i'm not 100% sure, but it's worth a shot.

1.buy and install a PCI firewire card.

2.run a virtual machine( microsoft virtual pc, vmware workstation etc) and instal a mac OS on it.

i think this would work.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #133 of 552
Given where I am, I'm guessing the answer is "no", but are there any Duet owners who are driving phones exclusively w/ the Duet headphone amp? I'm curious what phones I should look at w/ my Duet amp being the only thing between my phones & Mac... Would, say, Sennheiser HD600's sound fine w/ the Duet headphone amp? Anything a little less high end, perhaps?

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #134 of 552
I had no problems with the sound of the 600s straight from the duet. I sold the 600s tho, so I can't check again now. I use the hf1s straight out of it right now. I'm ampless until canjam, vince vaughn kidnapped it.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #135 of 552
I'm buying the duet and I have a pair of hd600s. I'll let you know how the output compares to my graham slee solo (a strong amp) and the hp output of my receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back