Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Apr 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #436 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by threewire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, how tricky is it to make a DIY breakout cable for the Duet? I am a novice with a soldering gun and somewhat of a moron when it comes to electronics. Sounds like in the above post there are some gains to be had with a custom breakout cable.

It's not particularly hard from a soldering standpoint although the pins on the Dsub connector are quite small. Shoot me a PM if you need help.

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #437 of 552
Thanks grawk, that makes sense.

May 8, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #438 of 552
I just thought that I'd add that I've found a neat way to use the Apogee Duet as a DAC using the toslink input that most Mac's have. If you download a free application called LineIn from Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free software for Mac OS X, you can route the input from the toslink through the output of the Duet. I'm using it with the toslink out from my cable box and DVD player and it sounds great.

May 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #439 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by clar2391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought that I'd add that I've found a neat way to use the Apogee Duet as a DAC using the toslink input that most Mac's have. If you download a free application called LineIn from Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free software for Mac OS X, you can route the input from the toslink through the output of the Duet. I'm using it with the toslink out from my cable box and DVD player and it sounds great.

It just seems a little redundant to feed a CDP or DVD or iRiver's optical into the Mac and out of the Duet, when the Mac's internal DVD and hard drive perform those functions already.

Rogue Amoeba's "Sound Source" is very useful for me however, because I can have 4 DAC/amps hooked up to my Macbook (2xUSB, Optical, FW) and switch quickly between them from the top menu bar, without having to open Audio MIDI Setup each time.

May 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #443 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ins't Duet for Apple products only?

Hmm, my headphones weren't made by Apple...

[size=xx-small]But my computer was
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/size]

May 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #445 of 552
So this seems like it will be my first real DAC. I'll be using it for a mic setup as well. Since it will be my first, what can I expect it to do SQ wise? Coming from nothing, what improvements will I notice? I understand what a good DAC does from a tech standpoint, but not as much when it comes to SQ.

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #448 of 552
What kind of differences should I expect specifically? when using the cheap-o iMic, I did notice lack of background noise when things are quiet, but what else?

May 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #449 of 552
^ More clarity, more even response across the frequency spectrum.

Wow. Just hooked this baby up last night, and I'm really impressed. It's got more of the musical warmth and yumminess that my OMZ sort of lacked in IMO.

The most noticeable aspect of the Duet's sound is that it's really not afraid to push those bass frequencies. I'm most likely gonna have to go and tweak the bass response settings in the back of my monitors - sometimes the bass is just too much now that I have the Duet connected.

It's definitely a keeper though - plus the volume-controlled preamp thing is super helpful in my situation. So, yeah!

May 27, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #450 of 552
I bought my Duet slightly used but never really burned it in before I starting using it. I would estimate It has around 400-500 hours on it now. I am listening to my DT 150's on it as I write this with music I am very familiar with and it sounds more open than I remember. Maybe it is my mind playing tricks on me but I was wondering, has anybody else noticed their Duet opening up after a fair bit of burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back