Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Apr 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #406 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone yet tried the Duet on a newer FW800 only Mac with a FW400-->FW800 converter?

Yes - it works fine.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #407 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes - it works fine.

Ah, excellent news!
Can you recommend one or are they all pretty much the same as far as reliability goes?

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #408 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, excellent news!
Can you recommend one or are they all pretty much the same as far as reliability goes?

I just use the one the Apple store sells (6-foot).

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #409 of 552
I am interested in the Duet as a DAC only. I know personal preference and system synergy is important, but in general, is the Duet DAC section one of the best out there at it's price point? Or should I be looking at something better at a similar price point for a DAC if such a thing exist. I was also considering the Pico stand alone DAC. I am open for suggestions. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #411 of 552
I don't think you would be disappointed with either the duet or pico, both sound fantastic for the money. I was lucky to have both (pico/amp combo) at one time and and I just ever so slightly preferred the duet over the pico in terms of sq.

But the tiny size of the pico coupled with the ability to use it as a portable amp as well, was enough to make me part with the duet.

BTW If you do decide on the duet i would recommend on getting a custom rca cable made for it, makes a noticeable difference in sq compared to the stock octopus cable.
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #412 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you would be disappointed with either the duet or pico, both sound fantastic for the money. I was lucky to have both (pico/amp combo) at one time and and I just ever so slightly preferred the duet over the pico in terms of sq.

But the tiny size of the pico coupled with the ability to use it as a portable amp as well, was enough to make me part with the duet.

BTW If you do decide on the duet i would recommend on getting a custom rca cable made for it, makes a noticeable difference in sq compared to the stock octopus cable.
icon10.gif

x2 on everything you said. I had both Duet and Pico DAC/amp in my house at the same time for a couple of weeks and thought they were both great with a slight edge to the Duet, but the Pico is more versatile. So, I also have a pre-order for a Pico DAC only as well as keeping the Pico DAC/amp but not the Duet. The custom RCA is also a must, although I haven't heard the Duet Breakout box that is available for them.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #413 of 552
Well, I broke down and went to the Guitar center and picked up the Duet today. I am going to use the RSA HR2 for an amp. Getting rid of the Naim CDX2, for source. No more screwing around with disks all over the place. I hope SQ does not drop off to much. Now if I can just figure out how to get this thing working. You Tube should be a good resource.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #414 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon10.gif

Okay,I am up and running with the Duet. Itunes Losse>>Apogee Duet>>HR2>>Sony MDR 10s. Sound is pretty good, but sadly I don't think it matches the setup with the Naim as the source. Any recommendation for a custom rca cable like you mentioned? Thanks

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #415 of 552
Pico is more portable, but Duet is more functional~ you can use Pico on any sound device, duet only works on MAC~ I bought a Duet from Lisnalee, and really love it ^ ^
I gave up on portable reg coz I found it pointless~and I only use MAC, so I prefer Duet over Pico... Plus Duet looks more dedicated and professional than Pico~ IMO

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #416 of 552
BTW, how to control Duet's volume when use it as an Amp? the nob won't work, and I can only use Itune to countrol the volume, but it doesn't get too high~

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #417 of 552
Just set the Duet as the sound output device under your system prefs.

You don't need to run Maestro to get volume control of the knob.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #418 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, how to control Duet's volume when use it as an Amp? the nob won't work, and I can only use Itune to countrol the volume, but it doesn't get too high~

Be careful with this one
tongue_smile.gif

Make sure no music or other sound is playing, then press the control knob down until you see the speaker and headphone graphic displayed on your monitor. You may have to do this up to about 3 times in order for the Duet's output to get to headphone output. Then, make sure you turn the knob counterclockwise until the volume setting is quite low if you're going to be using the Duet's headphone jack. You definitely want to avoid the risk of starting playback with the volume set to maximum.

If the above still doesn't give you control over the volume knob, then you may need to reset the Duet by pressing and holding down the knob for about 5-10 seconds, releasing it, and then following the same steps above.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #419 of 552
THanks guys, in the Maestro where it says output: line out/instrument amp~ what does that mean?

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #420 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful with this one
tongue_smile.gif

Make sure no music or other sound is playing, then press the control knob down until you see the speaker and headphone graphic displayed on your monitor. You may have to do this up to about 3 times in order for the Duet's output to get to headphone output. Then, make sure you turn the knob counterclockwise until the volume setting is quite low if you're going to be using the Duet's headphone jack. You definitely want to avoid the risk of starting playback with the volume set to maximum.

If the above still doesn't give you control over the volume knob, then you may need to reset the Duet by pressing and holding down the knob for about 5-10 seconds, releasing it, and then following the same steps above.

Thanks! learned something new ^ ^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back