Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Jan 6, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #391 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has plenty of power for Grado Denon and Ultrasone. HD600 are not bad, but not as dynamic and 3D sounding as with a better amp.

Thanks Larry, which external amps would you recommand? price range from 300-500 can be portable or desk~and I mainly use it for D7k.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #392 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much is the M3 and where can I get them? is duet not strong enough to drive d7K? do I have to buy a external amp?

M^3: The M³ Stereo Headphone Amplifier

Larry, was your comment about the M^3 driving HD600s? If so, I'd agree. But then I prefer tubes...

EDIT: (m^3 driving YH-3's - my work rig. Occaisionally drive Senns)

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #393 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M^3: The M³ Stereo Headphone Amplifier

Larry, was your comment about the M^3 driving HD600s? If so, I'd agree. But then I prefer tubes...

EDIT: (m^3 driving YH-3's - my work rig. Occaisionally drive Senns)

Oohh...I see mini^3...sorry for the confusion...Thanks man~but I still wanna hear Larry's recommendation on external Amp...$300-$500 for Duet and D7k...

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #394 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oohh...I see mini^3...sorry for the confusion...Thanks man~but I still wanna hear Larry's recommendation on external Amp...$300-$500 for Duet and D7k...

That's actually a full-sized M^3. As far as Larry's recco - don't blame you -he has a wealth of listening experience and quite a good ear
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #395 of 552
The Denon love SS or hybrid amps, and they don't do as well from a tube amp like DV336i or WA6 as they do from the SS or hybrid. So, M^3 is on the list. The full size M^3 with separate PSU has more power for HD600 than Duet, I tried naamanf's M^3 with OPA627 at my house back in May with HD600 and it was nice, but it was even better with my D2000 and Edition 9.

Also the Head-direct EF1 is on the top of the list, and a Travagans Red with AD743 opamps (OPA627 second choice) is close behind. The Grahm Slee NOVO with sigma 11 PSU is also a little better than the Duet/mini-DAC, but I prefer the EF1 more as it is a little warmer and richer sounding, even though the D5000/7000 add a lot of richness of their own. At the head-fi CO meet we all really liked the D7000 on the EF1 and that is my top pick in that price range. I don't recall what they sounded like with wiatrob's SOHA II.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #396 of 552
Quote:

...I don't recall what they sounded like with wiatrob's SOHA II.

Really, Really good!
smile.gif
There's a noted synergy with the SOHA II and all the Senn HDs, particularly 600s and 650s. SS control and oomph on the bottom end, with tube warmth - It's my preferred setup at home.

I'm a bit biased toward DIY though.

The M^3 is also quite nice and powerful (mine runs from a 32V sigma11 power supply with enough current to drive speakers). No bass boost, but there's plenty of bass with Senns. Just a little 'clean' sounding for me.

I'm at work on a higher heater current SOHAII (using 6N1P tubes and Toshiba output devices) Take a look over in the SOHA II threads for more info:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/soh...thread-374941/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/soh...hybrid-335003/

If'n you're interested...

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #397 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, Really good!
smile.gif
There's a noted synergy with the SOHA II and all the Senn HDs, particularly 600s and 650s. SS control and oomph on the bottom end, with tube warmth - It's my preferred setup at home.

I'm a bit biased toward DIY though.

The M^3 is also quite nice and powerful (mine runs from a 32V sigma11 power supply with enough current to drive speakers). No bass boost, but there's plenty of bass with Senns. Just a little 'clean' sounding for me.

I'm at work on a higher heater current SOHAII (using 6N1P tubes and Toshiba output devices) Take a look over in the SOHA II threads for more info:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/soh...thread-374941/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/soh...hybrid-335003/

If'n you're interested...

I remembered the SOHA II sounded good, but I couldn't remember for the life of me which phones I listened to with it, just that the bass was ungodly powerful.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #398 of 552
Quote:

I remembered the SOHA II sounded good, but I couldn't remember for the life of me which phones I listened to with it, just that the bass was ungodly powerful.

600/650s, and the D7000s, if memory serves...

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #399 of 552
"Wait... is the Duet a DAC, or a DAC/amp combo? If its the latter, can you just use the DAC, bypass the amp, and send it to an external amp?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Very successfully!

How can you be sure you are bypassing the integrated amp?

THX

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #400 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpanther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Wait... is the Duet a DAC, or a DAC/amp combo? If its the latter, can you just use the DAC, bypass the amp, and send it to an external amp?"

How can you be sure you are bypassing the integrated amp?

THX

There is a bundle of cables to plug into the Duet that give it line out (for DAC) and line in (for analog to digital converter), or a built in headphone jack, so it is both DAC or a DAC/amp, depending on how you hook stuff up to it.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #401 of 552
I can use the Duet's headphone amp to drive my AKG 701s, and it sounds decent. But I decided to buy a used RSA Hornet to add to the chain, and I have to say it sounds much better. Besides, I can use the Hornet with my iPhone as well. Having the Hornet in the chain with the Duet is a good addition, and it doesn't take up nearly as much room as a home amp.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #402 of 552
I'm surprised you find the amp in the hornet better than the one in the duet, but maybe it's the amp characteristics rather than ability you prefer. The duet's amp is capable of a higher voltage swing, so is technically better. That said, it's all in what you hear...

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #403 of 552
Has anyone yet tried the Duet on a newer FW800 only Mac with a FW400-->FW800 converter?

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #404 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised you find the amp in the hornet better than the one in the duet, but maybe it's the amp characteristics rather than ability you prefer. The duet's amp is capable of a higher voltage swing, so is technically better. That said, it's all in what you hear...

That's what I thought would happen, but the Hornet does sound much better. Not even close, to me. BTW, where did you find the amp specs for the Duet to know what the voltage output is?

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #405 of 552
The duet has a 9-12v unregulated power supply (firewire). The hornet has a 7-9v battery supply. It follows that the duet has more power available for the amplifier than the hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back