Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
May 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #451 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my Duet slightly used but never really burned it in before I starting using it. I would estimate It has around 400-500 hours on it now. I am listening to my DT 150's on it as I write this with music I am very familiar with and it sounds more open than I remember. Maybe it is my mind playing tricks on me but I was wondering, has anybody else noticed their Duet opening up after a fair bit of burn in?

are you using it just as a DAC or are you using it as a DAC/headphone amp combo?

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #453 of 552
Hello guys,

this is my first post.

I have a Duet too.

My set up is:
Mac Mini > Apogee Duet with con breakout-RCA cable made by Blue Jeans Cable > Ampli A/V: Pioneer VSX-LX50

I have a doubt that I would like to share with you: since the mac mini HD was full, I added an external HD. I choose the WD My Book 1 TB Firewire 800.

So, now the Duet is no longer linked directly to the mac mini FW port but to the second FW port of the external hard drive.

Can you please tell me if this is correct. Sometimes, it happens to listen to some scratches or some noises coming from the HD.

Has anybody else had similar problems? Is it possible to have any ideas about how to eliminate them?

Thanks a lot,

Paolo

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #456 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the Duet or the Mini-Dac be better for feeting a Graham Slee Solo SRG to drive Grados (225is, possibly up to HR-2s or RS-1s) or Sennheiser HD-650s (MAYBE 800s down the road...)?

----------------
Listening to: Metallica - Fade to Black
via FoxyTunes

I did a write-up on it in mrarroyos Solo SRG thread. The Solo SRG is a definite upgrade in sound over the mini-DAC headphone out once the SRG has been on for 4-6 hours, and the mini-DAC does a great job feeding it as a source. I liked SRG a little more with my HD600 than my RS-1 or HF-2, but it still beats the Apogee headphone out with either. The Apogee (both) does best with the Grados, and is quite good till you hear something better.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #457 of 552
Hello Larry and all,

I have a Mac Mini > Apogee Duet > ATH-A900 set up.

This HP is my first one and I considered it very good untill I ...came on this high level forum...so now I'm a little depressed because some people says that A900 is not so wonderful as I thought!!!

I have read Larry tests using a modified version of ATH-A900 (by Germania).

is it possible to know better how does it work a modification done on the ATH-A900?

My musical needs are anyway related to some practical aspects: I live in a French small appartment, and I have 3 kids + 1 wife. So I cannot afford in having an open HP. It must be discret first of all.

And also, I like very much that my HP be very confortble...

What can be done with less than let's say 500$? I also read about the fact that Duet seems to be good with Grados right. Would it be noticeble the difference with ATH-A900 (or modified one?) for example swithcing to a SR325i?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Paolo

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #458 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr0ferr1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Larry and all,

I have a Mac Mini > Apogee Duet > ATH-A900 set up.

This HP is my first one and I considered it very good untill I ...came on this high level forum...so now I'm a little depressed because some people says that A900 is not so wonderful as I thought!!!

I have read Larry tests using a modified version of ATH-A900 (by Germania).

is it possible to know better how does it work a modification done on the ATH-A900?

My musical needs are anyway related to some practical aspects: I live in a French small appartment, and I have 3 kids + 1 wife. So I cannot afford in having an open HP. It must be discret first of all.

And also, I like very much that my HP be very confortble...

What can be done with less than let's say 500$? I also read about the fact that Duet seems to be good with Grados right. Would it be noticeble the difference with ATH-A900 (or modified one?) for example swithcing to a SR325i?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Paolo

I believe Germania used a silver plated copper cable, and some felt dampening inside the cups - it sounds pretty good this way, and if you could do it yourself you could save a bit of money and still have a nice closed can.

My Denon D2000 with an APS V2 cable and some stuffing added to the earpads is a little better, with less midrange congestion in complex musical passages, but with slightly recessed mids. Since you already have the A900, I would consider modding them before upgrading if money if a concern - you will get fairly close for a lot less money.

The Grados will be a bit more upfront sounding, and a bit brighter/less bassy sounding, and not as smooth and laid back as the A900. It's a fairly different sound, that is more likely to compliment the A900 than replace them. They Grado also will not be as comfortable, and will leak more sound to the outside.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #459 of 552
Hello Larry,

really thanks a lot for your help and very clear suggestions.

So, based on your comments, I agree that I should better keep the A900 and purchase a Grado as second HP.

In the meantime, I also contacted Germania about modding and recabling the A900.
She has been very nice and kind. The only problem I have with this operation is the fact that my hadphones have to travel twice between Europe and America: a little costy and dangerous for customs duties, losses, damages... (by the way, did you see yesterday soccer match USA-Italy? Sorry it was 1-3 for us but USA is playing soccer better and better!!!).

So, I will try to ask her some suggestions and try to do it here in Europe, myself or asking some local experts.

Again thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Paolo

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #460 of 552
Sorry, I forgot to ask: what would you suggest as Grado for my case: SR225 or SR325is or others? Thanks again.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #461 of 552
Quote:

Sorry, I forgot to ask: what would you suggest as Grado for my case: SR225 or SR325is or others? Thanks again.

I have SR225's, Duet, and Macbook, and I love the combo. I also use Darth Beyers with the Duet, but I still prefer the SR225's for most of my listening. I have never tried SR325is, though.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #462 of 552
Quote:

I sold the SR-325i because the bass became less than I wanted once they were burned-in, but the detail and soundstage were very nice. The SR-225 are a little more exciting at first, but a little less detailed sounding.

I can't recommend which one you should get, so you may need to look up more comparisons of those. I can say that a Grado HF-2 (limited edition) is noticeably better than anything below them, and could possibly be your one and only Grado. They will leak sound and not block sound, so I am still not sure they would replace the A900, but you could save money by leaving your A900 stock and just adding the HF-2. Sonically, the HF-2 sound good enough to be your only headphone, if you didn't need noise isolation.

PS: The HF-2 sound better out of the Apogee than the SR-325i.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #463 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold the SR-325i because the bass became less than I wanted once they were burned-in, but the detail and soundstage were very nice. The SR-225 are a little more exciting at first, but a little less detailed sounding.

I can't recommend which one you should get, so you may need to look up more comparisons of those. I can say that a Grado HF-2 (limited edition) is noticeably better than anything below them, and could possibly be your one and only Grado. They will leak sound and not block sound, so I am still not sure they would replace the A900, but you could save money by leaving your A900 stock and just adding the HF-2. Sonically, the HF-2 sound good enough to be your only headphone, if you didn't need noise isolation.

Dumb question, HF-2 or RS-1?
gs1000.gif

----------------
Listening to: Ozzy Osbourne - Shot in the Dark
via FoxyTunes

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #464 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say that a Grado HF-2 (limited edition) is noticeably better than anything below them, and could possibly be your one and only Grado. They will leak sound and not block sound, so I am still not sure they would replace the A900, but you could save money by leaving your A900 stock and just adding the HF-2. Sonically, the HF-2 sound good enough to be your only headphone, if you didn't need noise isolation.

Thanks Larry,

so let's go for it: a combination of A900 closed and HF-2 open can be the best combination for a long time! Thanks for the suggestion.

Now, if I well understood, the new hf-2 special edition are not sold in Europe yet.
They are available for pre order at TTVJ: head-fi members can get one signed by Mr Grado only if they have minimum 5 posting: but I only have 4
eek.gif

Bye all

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #465 of 552
you'll have 5, just pop over ot the "what are you listening to" thread, and post the song oyu're listening to, and then bam, you're at 5 posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back