anyone still using pcdp's with their portable amps?
Mar 19, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #31 of 48
I just dragged mine back out of the closet this week! I am in the middle of revamping all my rigs (3 home, 2 PC and 1 portable). Mainly I use my iPod (60G 5G) but just picked up a Shellbrook Mini Signature so pulled out the old Pine D'Music SM-200C, hooked it up and was very pleased with the amped sound, with ATH-Em7 GM clip-ons. Next I'll try it with my MD player.

I haven't bought any audio equipment in over 5 years. Then I was given an iPod. Now I have found new headphones, amps and all sorts of portable stuff to spend all my saved money on! All because of YOU! Thanks guys!!
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #32 of 48
Hi Doc
I know the feeling!
And if I may quote the illustrious Head Fi motif:

Sorry About Your Wallet!
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #33 of 48
D-99 is not the same as the D-9; it has one of the basic Sony sigma delta 1bit D/A converters instead of one of the 16 bit converters. Of Sony's units, I tend to favour the D-335 but the 303 is good as well.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #35 of 48
Thanks Filburt
icon10.gif
Good to know - I thought Euro models usually had an extra number added (D-2 = D-22, I think?), but wasn't sure.

We should have a beer smiley to say thanks with...

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #36 of 48
I've just about got my bedside rig figured out. In addition to the iMP-550, I'm thinking of using the D-303 optical out to the Headroom Overture/Coda stack. However, I remember a couple of years ago someone saying they didn't think the optical out on the D-303 was all that great. I may just go with the iHP-120 for the optical out. But I'm wondering, how much different can the optical out be between the iMP-550, D-303, and iHP-120? Has anyone done any comparisons? What would be the differentiating factor? Does one have more jitter than the others and is that even audible?

I also just got a D-311 for free. Of course, I got it for free because it doesn't work anymore. I tried to find some information on fixing it but didn't turn up and definitive posts.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Filburt
icon10.gif
Good to know - I thought Euro models usually had an extra number added (D-2 = D-22, I think?), but wasn't sure.

We should have a beer smiley to say thanks with...

Well, the European models will sometimes have a 0 on the end. The D-2 and D-22 aren't the same; D-22 has "Mega Bass" whereas D-2 doesn't as far as I know. However, you do sometimes see D-20, D-150, D-250, D-350, that sort of thing, which are D-2, D-15, D-25, and D-35, respectively.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #39 of 48
I still use my Panasonic SL-S120. About ten years old and doesn't even have skip protection, but I still love it.
biggrin.gif

I had convinced myself I didn't need another PCDP, and now this thread pops up!
rolleyes.gif
Well, um, eh... anyone know if the Panasonic SL-SX500 is a good player. It's still available for $50 and, you know, I might need another player soon...
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawalsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
panasonic sl-s239c-total airhead does okay for me.

Hi,

How much better is the Airhead than the headphone out? I see that the Airheads are on sale right now and I was thinking of picking one up.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #41 of 48
I own an RCA RP-2215TK. Has a line out. When I had the PA2V2 and the LDII+, it sounded much better out of those than the Zen Sleek Photo, and rivaled the SCD-CE595. Sounds great out of the headphone out as well, I listen to it now and again with the KSC75's. I wish I could find the wallwart for it though, the damn thing chews through batteries like no one's business.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #42 of 48
I was when I had my Sony DNF-400 with my pimeta and portapros, it was a nice combination, not high end by any means but it made me rock out. Then that broke and I got a DNF-430 through the warranty but that doesn't benefit from an amp at all, so my pimeta is now in my comp rig.

Anyway, yeah PCDP with amps rule, I'd still do it if I had a decent PCDP

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever heard about jitter?? Damn, there's no way you get a good sq while shaking and bumbing optical system...

If you are "shaking & bumbling" then you are probably walking around outside, and you will not hear the difference anyway. If you are stationary, then it's moot.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

How much better is the Airhead than the headphone out? I see that the Airheads are on sale right now and I was thinking of picking one up.

Depends on your HO, I guess. I don't hear too much difference between the HO on the D-22 vs line/Airhead, better defined bass perhaps, but there is to my ears a solidity & better soundstage using my DNE-900. The main benefit I 've found is volume, and (zzzzzzzip....flame suit on...) using the crossfeed. Glad I got mine. They've revamped the Airhead - I must go see what the offer is
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back