anyone still using pcdp's with their portable amps?
Mar 5, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zweroboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Panasonic SL-CT810 with Go-Vibe V3 and AKG K 271 S as my office rig. I like handling discs, actually. More than selecting files in a DAP : )

I'm the opposite I hate handling discs.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 48
Vintage pcdps are still the best for SQ !

listening + reading chair: D-303 or DCP-100 > Cardas > SP PPX3 SLAM > Equinox > HD600

bedside: D-515 > Cardas > RSA XP-7 > HD580

air travel: D-515 and D-33 > ALO cryo > RSA Tomahawk > ER4s

pocket: Imod WAV > ALO > SM3v6 > ER4s

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #18 of 48
Modified (by me, of course!) Panasonic SL-NP11 w/ PINT.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 48
Because of you guys (Head-Fi et al) I dug up my long forgotten D-303 and plugged in my E3c's, and now I can't seriously listen to my 4G iPod. Because of you guys I've bought a dozen *new* CD's, something I haven't not in half a decade, and now I'm about ready to blow a grand on E500's, a DAC and a Millet portable tube amp. Thanks guys you're the greatest! And I mean that.

ronin

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of you guys (Head-Fi et al) I dug up my long forgotten D-303 and plugged in my E3c's, and now I can't seriously listen to my 4G iPod. Because of you guys I've bought a dozen *new* CD's, something I haven't not in half a decade, and now I'm about ready to blow a grand on E500's, a DAC and a Millet portable tube amp. Thanks guys you're the greatest! And I mean that.

ronin

Yeah... I LOVE my MP3 players, they are just so convenient and easy to use. but NO WAY are DAPs high end.

IMHO a $50 PCDP with optical output mated to a $250 outboard DAC will sonically pound the living snout out of any $300 DAP by itself. IMHO, and of course the DAP wins out for convenience and ease of use.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 48
What about a DAP with an optical out?
biggrin.gif

When you are using outboard AMPs and DAC does it really matter what the transport is?

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 48
By all means I'm not an expert when it comes to these things--FLAC, LAME, OGG, I'm clueless--but an old school mantra keeps popping into my head when this topic comes up: GIGO, garbage in garbage out.

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By all means I'm not an expert when it comes to these things--FLAC, LAME, OGG, I'm clueless--but an old school mantra keeps popping into my head when this topic comes up: GIGO, garbage in garbage out.

Which is why pcdps avoid the problem of lossy formats over daps.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 48
My bedside rig lately has been a Sony D-EJ711, Hornet (non "M") and either ER6's or KSC-75's. For chairside listening, it's the same rig, with either K240S's or K171S's.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 48
I'm still "old school", and I like it.
When I'm out, and I buy a CD, I can just pop it in and listen straight away.
It's listed in my siggy under "Portable".
etysmile.gif

That having been said, I'm looking for a good DAP, like the iRiver H100 series, or a Trekstor VibeZ. Carrying my 290-CD case around (or 40, when I need to travel light), is starting to get old, and heavy. >_<

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 48
Much to my great pleasure & good fortune, I picked up a vintage Sony D-22 a few days ago
(for 99p/50c!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Sounds superb! Haven't had the chance compare side by side with my DNE-900, but I have a feeling the oldster beats it out quite soundly. Has become my standard player at home, as I just find myself listening effortlessly to it for hours. No shock protection means it aint really carry-around-portable, but do I care?

I got to get me one of those D-555s!

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #27 of 48
I just got a Panasonic SL-SX480 and it kicks my mp3 players ass (iRiver 799T) in terms of Sound Quality. And it was 50 bucks (that's $45 USD)! Until I have money to buy an 80 or 100 gig Ipod or something I'm not going to buy an mp3 player.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #28 of 48
I want a PCDP but the main reason I want one is for the Digital line out so I can use it with me MicroAmp and DAC for best SQ.

I still feel the iPod would make the most convenient portable for me with and without the MicroAmp.

yet I feel an MD would make the most versatile portable recorder.

would like to have all 3 with no money for a one at the moment..

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much to my great pleasure & good fortune, I picked up a vintage Sony D-22 a few days ago
(for 99p/50c!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Sounds superb! Haven't had the chance compare side by side with my DNE-900, but I have a feeling the oldster beats it out quite soundly. Has become my standard player at home, as I just find myself listening effortlessly to it for hours. No shock protection means it aint really carry-around-portable, but do I care?

I got to get me one of those D-555s!

I also have the D-NE900 which I got for frequent trans-atlantic flights so I could use MP3s and not have to get into the whole iPod thing. Compared to even my D-9, it flat out SUCKS for headphone usage with any of my phones. Like listening through a toilet-roll tube.

I have a D-555 which I bought mostly to realize a childhood dream of owning one, and am considering selling it. It is in good shape however a little weak on the headphone out (volume-wise). I didn't notice initially as I was just using it for home CD playback... I hear this is fairly common with these.

I had a TotalBitHead on loan which I used for a while with my D-311 (RIP) for home listening. I also had a Kenwood digital EQ in-line for a while, but took it out for the sake of simplicity. My D-311 has died, and I handed back the BitHead - so am now just using my D-9 and JBL 510's for home listening.

I plan on owning Sony Vintage PCDP's as long as I can keep them running. There is nothing else I have found that sounds as nice, feels as nice to use (this is important to me) and at the same time triggers a cool nostalgic feeling for me. DAP's may be "more convenient" but I really do not like the interaction with iTunes, my music collection, etc.

I still want to purchase a D-515, a replacement D-311, a D-321 and a few more D-303's. I would like at least 2 more 303's for parts support. I have one currently that works well but seriously needs the pots adjusted. As soon as I can do it, I will. The D-303 is my fav player, sadly though the HP out is NOT good at higher volume levels...

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #30 of 48
Yes, there certainly is something very seductive/addictive about these older players! I've only scratched the surface, & now I find myself looking at old black n silver boxes with a *very* acquisitive eye, lol! Worse than bl**dy headphones!
icon10.gif

The D-9 is good? I think over here it was called the D-99, & I was looking to get one.......y'know, you have to have a stash for when they wear out!

edit > Just discovered the D-9 thread -question answered, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back