Anyone seen this? Shunyata DIY <100$ Power Conditoner
Feb 8, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 52
Let's not single out Shunyata just because the guy had one and decided to open it up - do we know what is inside some of the others - e.g. Isoclean, Furutech, etc?

The PS Audio stuff is expensive, but it does provide surge protection, and there is some "meat" inside.

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
Im rather apalled, but not surprized that a relativly well known(amongst audiophiles) company like Shunyanta would have such insane ridiculous markups. You know this **** cost them less then 50$ to build when economies of scale come in. Unbelieveable.... Shunyanta is nothing more then a few high quality outlets a couple off the shelf 2$ noise suppression capacitors and a varistor
rolleyes.gif
Reminds me of the great value that is Grado RA1 2$ of electornics in a 3$ wood box. With a 3000% markup

http://www.10audio.com/diy_power_conditioner.htm

Let's not get carried away.....
The unit made by DIY guy is not equal to Shunyata Hydra 4. The custom designed silver cryo Venom outlets are far superior and better sounding than the cheapies used in DIY unit.....plus the DIY electronic parts only partially approximate what he thinks is all in 7 element venom filter.

Notice in summation DIY builder cannot say his sounds equal or better than Hyda.........only "close" and what does that mean? Could mean anything really.

That said like anything audiophile custom designed and sold in small quanities the retail cost of unit is always much more than cost of actual parts, please be realistic. Shunyata makes great product, but there are cheaper alternatives for those on a budget.

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Odd, it doesn't exactly look like this:

Hydra_interior_vert_lg.jpg

confused.gif

That's not the model he copied.

The top three photos in the article are pictures of the Shunyata Hydra 4, which goes for $700 or so?

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer
That's not the model he copied.

The top three photos in the article are pictures of the Shunyata Hydra 4, which goes for $700 or so?

That is the Hydra 4.

And I do realize that it's the same parts, just odd that they'd have something so different looking in the pic from what it actually is.

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 52
Thanks to MikeW for sending me an email about this thread. I was also surprised that there was not more technology involved in the Shunyata product. But what surprised me much more was the language they use in their advertising, language that mentioned features that simply were not present in the product.

Economies of scale are not available for low-volume products, where a production run is less than 1,000 units. Typically, a manufacturer must sell at 5 times their raw parts cost. Then the retailer or dealer adds 40 to 50% to cover their costs and profits. So a $100 box of parts would easily have a retail price of $750 or even more. A $2 capacitor becomes a $15 part in a finished product. That's where DIY comes in, if we don't get electrocuted building the things.

There is another angle to high end audio. Many people feel they must spend a lot of money for good sound, and the more they spend, they better it must sound. I have seen many manufacturers offer their new product at reasonable, low prices. Sales are very slow. Then they raise the price 2 to 5 times the original price. Sales take off like a rocket. Go figure.

Happy listening.

Regards,
JerryS
www.10Audio.com

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #24 of 52
Thanks MikeW for the questioning & digging. Thanks JerryS for the post and especially the review site, which I enjoy reading (I'd been waiting awhile for this projected DIY project to arrive).

Keep up the good work.
cool.gif

MikeF
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 52
DarkAngel said:
Notice in summation DIY builder cannot say his sounds equal or better than Hyda.........only "close" and what does that mean? Could mean anything really.
Hi Dark,
My actual statement in my DIY Hydra project is, "I reached the conclusion that the "DIY Hydra" was a sonic twin to the production Shunyata Hydra 4..."

Thank you for taking the time to review the article.

Regards,
JerryS
www.10Audio.com

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

That is the Hydra 4.

And I do realize that it's the same parts, just odd that they'd have something so different looking in the pic from what it actually is.

Your right - I got fooled by the pic too.

It is the same thing - Take the picture and turn it on it's side. It's the same except for some slightly different wiring.

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
The unit made by DIY guy is not equal to Shunyata Hydra 4. The custom designed silver cryo Venom outlets are far superior and better sounding than the cheapies used in DIY unit.....

"Far superior" is unlikely, especially since you haven't done a listening comparison between the guy's DIY version and the Shunyata version. Slightly superior, maybe, if you believe dunking outlets in liquid nitrogen improves their sound. I personally wouldn't be surprised if the Shunyata outlets aren't even cryoed.

Feb 9, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 52
So.. what DIYer out there wants to write a detailed guide and parts list ?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
Im to chicken to try this without detailed instructions.

Seriously though would it be illegal to copy this design and sell it? I don't understand all this overhead, why coudlent a DIYer build these things in his spare time with quality parts/workmanship and sell them on Ebay for oh, say 300$. If it's a of similiar sound quality to a real hydra then you wouldent even have to advertise it, it would spread though word of mouth rather rapidly what a great value it was. To keep it simple, don't even offer to take orders on them, just make them at your own pace and sell them on ebay at your own leisure. This is what gets people like Norm@Govibe in trouble(victim of own sucess).. don't even accept orders, just build em and sell them on ebay. You might even make more money this way. If it violates some patent law, woudlent it be easy enough to change 1 or 2 components around to bypass this.

Feb 9, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

That is the Hydra 4.

I had the same questions about why the pictures look different from what the 10audio site shows, and what my unit has. I really wanted to know since I own a Hydra 6.

Instead of speculating and assuming about what might be, I decided to go to the source. I E-Mailed the engineer, Grant at Shunyata.

He told me
We made the change to the boards depicted on our web 6-8 months ago. Mine is over a year old.

Now we know...

I invited him to post a reply to this board explaining the questions asked in this thread. He said he may consider it, however he has already responded to a similar post at the Audio Asylum.
You should read Grant's reply.

He also took time out of his day to call me this evening and we has a nice long talk.
After speaking with him I am no longer upset. He has explained what goes into making the products, and why the costs are where they're at.

Regardless of the cost or what's inside it, it is one of the better PLC's I've ever owned. Many professionals in the music business seem agree.
TR

Feb 9, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Seriously though would it be illegal to copy this design and sell it?

Yes!
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back