Anybody want a Wii?
Nov 25, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 56
Those prices are ridiculous, I don't see why everyone is paying top dollar for them, I don't think there in as short of supply as say the PS3.

A friend of mine pre-ordered his wii, and as he was walking out of the store someone offered him $500
blink.gif
so of course he took the money.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those prices are ridiculous, I don't see why everyone is paying top dollar for them, I don't think there in as short of supply as say the PS3.

A friend of mine pre-ordered his wii, and as he was walking out of the store someone offered him $500
blink.gif
so of course he took the money.

Apparently it's pretty damned close in terms of supply. And that shocks me, given the fact that nobody really expected them to totally sell out.

General numbers are 475k for the Wii first shipment, as opposed to somewhere between 200-300k for the PS3. That's not really what I expected from Nintendo, given the inital comparisons of production.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General numbers are 475k for the Wii first shipment, as opposed to somewhere between 200-300k for the PS3. That's not really what I expected from Nintendo, given the inital comparisons of production.

Especially considering the antiquated hardware, you wouldn't think it would be hard to mass produce the consoles on a pretty large scale.

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #19 of 56
Mercuttio say:
Quote:

That's not really what I expected from Nintendo, given the inital comparisons of production.

c0mfortably_numb says:
Quote:

Especially considering the antiquated hardware, you wouldn't think it would be hard to mass produce the consoles on a pretty large scale.

I am pretty much convinced that game makers have kept production down for two reasons: (1) The first bunch are "beta" machines and the first buyers are victims; and (2) It keeps the buzz going.

I would not even consider buying the Wii for at least another six month. By the Summer, the Wii will be at a good price and bug-free.

If I "had" to buy one for Christmas, it would be returned within 30 days after Christmas. Two can play this game!
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they absolutely loved Wii Sports. To the point that they're considering picking up the unit just for that game... most likely why Nintendo's packaging it with the systems.

Honestly? Playing is believing with it. Yep, some cynical gamers won't go for it, but I don't really think they're able to see the common consumer's point of view. These are people who take one look at a traditional controller and just immediately have a reaction of "I can't play that." They know there's a learning curve and that they're not going to be able to play and have fun with games like Soul Calibur... but hey, my Girlfriend's dad loves golf, and he was totally able to pick up and play against me. Heck, we even tied score at the end of the game.

I've seen the ads on tv and I was surprised these tennis/sports angle is such a big deal. I was in Asia three years ago and that controller technology was everwhere, selling on $30 game units that just used that controller. I guess Nintendo just packaged it better.

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep. It's not like they had to harvest the souls of orphans, as the PS3 requires.

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen the ads on tv and I was surprised these tennis/sports angle is such a big deal. I was in Asia three years ago and that controller technology was everwhere, selling on $30 game units that just used that controller. I guess Nintendo just packaged it better.

They're pretty common in the USA too, if you just hunt round Toys R' Us. The thing is, they never really worked all that well, and they had ghastly 2D or extremely primitive 3D graphics.

So, if by package, you mean total package, then yeah. Most of the other companies are the types that'd end up presenting in Kentia Hall come E3.

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mercuttio say:

c0mfortably_numb says:

I would not even consider buying the Wii for at least another six month. By the Summer, the Wii will be at a good price and bug-free.

a good price? $250 is nothing. especially if you are a member of head-fi with an expensive hobby in headphones and audio.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cazoo says:

How's fourteen hundred dollars?

Wii on Ebay sold for $1,425.00

Wow, and the sale actually seems to have gone through, as the seller posted positive feedback for the buyer, stating "lightning fast payment." Buyer's money > sense.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 56
rreynol says:
Quote:

How long will it be until this thread degenerates into how bad the wii graphics are?

That won't happen until after Christmas.

Only 29 more days before the Wii Suck Bombs begin to fly.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back