Any tweaks I have missed?
Jul 14, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #31 of 56
You need to think about brownian motion and how this vibration at sub-molecule level can infiltrate each and every single component you have. Even things like your vibration control tweaks vibrates during brownian motion. You might want to reduce the temperature to around absolute zero so that such motion slows down.

How about power supply from the power station to your house? Have you thought about the percentage purity of copper in the power line cables? The speed of light? How about recabling everything from the turbine in the power station to the power line with vahallas? Imagine the possibilities.

Vibration generated by useless walking people, cars and tectonic plate movement can have a substantial effect on the underground cables as well.

Oxygen and other reactive gases that can react with the cable wires.

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find that my music sounds better when you shave your face.

Oh! That explains why music sounds better to me at random!

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the truing machine , not seen one myself, but if any cutting or grinding were to be done on a disk then it would need to be supported accurately and not allow any bending during the cut.
I would clamp it centred between face plates and use a lathe if i were tempted.

I am not sure why Patrick*2 had such a bad lot of disc trimmers, mine seems excellent and well made. The cd is clamped firmly. As regards the claim that Redbook tolerances are so good that no trimming could help, this repeats the common fallacy of confusing specifications with the actual product. My car has many specs, such as MPG which in practice it does not meet. If you have a top-loaded player such as mine, you need to simpy look at a spinning disc to see if it is true. Also as is noted above, see how much vibration a portable cd has with various discs. That vibration has got to be bad for microphonics is nothing else.

The dics trimmer also puts a bevelled edge on the disc, such that the edge is angled about 40 degrees downward. How much of the effect is due to this cutting angle I cannot tell.

Finally, like some other tweaks such as Auric Illuminator, you are supposed to paint the edges black after trimming. I also sand mine before the black is added.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by evil-zen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oxygen and other reactive gases that can react with the cable wires.

That's why I use cables made from platinum-iridium alloy.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As regards the claim that Redbook tolerances are so good that no trimming could help, this repeats the common fallacy of confusing specifications with the actual product. My car has many specs, such as MPG which in practice it does not meet.

This really is muddling a whole slew of issues when using the term "specifications."

1. The car analogy is horrible. If your car, brand new off the lot, could not run the DARPA course (which is probably very different then the course you run) and not obtain the same MPG then it's defective. The sticker on the window does not mean what the salesmen tells you it means.

2. There is a huge difference between product specifications that need to be met, and product specifications that are measured. We're not measuring the tolerance on a given batch of CDs, we're stating that if a certain tolerance is not met, it's not a CD.

3. The phillips/sony CD-Audio logo is a certification of #2. If the plant can't meet the tolerance, they can't use the logo.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found this to be the most effective sonic tweek by far:

comptonkush_small.jpg

Ok now that i bought some of this stuff in a black alley, where should i put it in my audio rig? I tried in between the analog output but with only marginal upgrade result, then i tried just underneath my PSU in my DAC wich seem to open up the highs by quite a big margin, if you have any other idea as to where i should put it i am all hear!

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok now that i bought some of this stuff in a black alley, where should i put it in my audio rig? I tried in between the analog output but with only marginal upgrade result, then i tried just underneath my PSU in my DAC wich seem to open up the highs by quite a big margin, if you have any other idea as to where i should put it i am all hear!

This is one audio mod that has to be demonstrated in person before you can appreciate it. I would be more then willing to volunteer my time for this endevour
600smile.gif

God I was a weird kid. I remember back in high school my parents found my "stash" and were confronting me on it. It really was some high grade dried seaweed that I bought to experiment with, I loved to cook. I don't think they knew quite how to react to that.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the basil tweak on top of every food I ate. There was no difference in sound. I haven't been using it for 2 months now and there is still no difference.

While it doesn't change the sound, it gave you a different flavour.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #44 of 56
Patrick, in order to actually test body tweaks in a systematic manner you would have to impose a regular/repetitive/monk-like routine on your life, so that then you'd be able to change one element of the routine at a time to try to see if it specifically has any effects. For example, you'd need to eat pretty much the same food for a while, then introduce basil as a new element and see if there are any improvements. This a method that some ancient Buddhist monks had used to establish that foods like garlic and onions impair the intellectual faculties of the brain, for example. Those Buddhist monks were very good when it came to the various methodologies of body tweaks, so maybe you should read up on this stuff if you're really interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back