Android phones and USB DACs
May 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #8,956 of 9,526
Maybe this will help someone. I was able to successfully connect my Meridian Explorer² USB DAC to my OnePlus 3T using this Type-C OTG cable:

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/oneplus-type-c-otg-cable

At first it would not power up the DAC, so I went into Developer Options in Settings and set Select USB Configuration to Audio Source. Reconnected the DAC and it launched USB Audio Player. Works great with local files on my phone, network files from my NAS server as well as TIDAL (including MQA),

May 23, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,959 of 9,526
Anyone know if Sony Xperia XA can be used with an external dac/amp via otg without having to resort to UAPP?

Since it's marshmallow, it can be used with external dac or DAC/amp without having to use any app. However there is a problem that Android upsamples your music and due to issues with upsampling algorithms, that upsampled music doesn't play true to the original file.

It is therefore advisable to use an app capable of sending 'bit perfect' or original quality file to the fact. Some of the app's are UAPP, onkyo hf player, Neutron etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #8,960 of 9,526
Since it's marshmallow, it can be used with external dac or fax/amp without having to use any app. However there is a problem that Android upsamples your music and due to issues with upsampling algorithms, that upsampled music doesn't play true to the original file.

It is therefore advisable to use an app capable of sending 'bit perfect' or original quality file to the fact. Some of the app's are UAPP, onkyo hf player, Neutron etc.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I would like to use Poweramp because I have an app that allows me to browse and play my music from my SmartWatch

May 24, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #8,961 of 9,526
Does anyone know how to enable usb audio on the Xperia XA? It doesn't seem to work at all by default. I've also gone into the usb connectivity menu, but it only allows me to enable an option to install software.
Also, I am unable to change the settings in usb connectivity in developer options to audio source.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #8,963 of 9,526
So my current mobile set up is my Audioengine D1 with a OTG cable, plugged into my S7 (Nougat). Do I need to change the USB Configuration option in developer settings at Audio Source? Or does that happen automatically when a DAC is connected?

Also, I've tried out a lot of music players and will likely settle on Poweramp or Rocketplayer if they are capable of sending 'bit-perfect' files, as davedm put it. Do you still run into issues upsampling with Spotify?

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #8,964 of 9,526
So my current mobile set up is my Audioengine D1 with a OTG cable, plugged into my S7 (Nougat). Do I need to change the USB Configuration option in developer settings at Audio Source? Or does that happen automatically when a DAC is connected?

Also, I've tried out a lot of music players and will likely settle on Poweramp or Rocketplayer if they are capable of sending 'bit-perfect' files, as davedm put it. Do you still run into issues upsampling with Spotify?
Android up or downsamples everything. The reason I downsample is because S8 euns everything at 48khz as opposed to 96khz. The only way to get bit perfect playback is through an app that takes over the dax and bypasses Android audio drivers completely. Onkyo player, and USB Audio player pro are two of the main apps that do so, which is why they are often mentioned. Though poweramp is a nice player, it is still subject to the little hindrances of the Android system

May 25, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #8,965 of 9,526
Android up or downsamples everything. The reason I downsample is because S8 euns everything at 48khz as opposed to 96khz. The only way to get bit perfect playback is through an app that takes over the dax and bypasses Android audio drivers completely. Onkyo player, and USB Audio player pro are two of the main apps that do so, which is why they are often mentioned. Though poweramp is a nice player, it is still subject to the little hindrances of the Android system

That still the case with the latest alpha build? I was just wondering because there's a setting for audio source and you can select USB DAC. But perhaps it's still upsampling. I've been messing with HibyMusic since it's free and I wanted to do some A/B testing. Seems like it should fall into the same category. Why can't any of these "true audiophile" music players hire someone with modern UI experience...

May 25, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #8,966 of 9,526
Does anyone know how to enable usb audio on the Xperia XA? It doesn't seem to work at all by default. I've also gone into the usb connectivity menu, but it only allows me to enable an option to install software.
Also, I am unable to change the settings in usb connectivity in developer options to audio source.

Which DAC are you using with it?

Normally you should put your DAC in USB mode (if it has multiple input options) and connect with your phone via USB/USB OTG cable as the case may be.

Android should detect the DAC and audio should be diverted to DAC automatically.

May 26, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #8,967 of 9,526
Which DAC are you using with it?

Normally you should put your DAC in USB mode (if it has multiple input options) and connect with your phone via USB/USB OTG cable as the case may be.

Android should detect the DAC and audio should be diverted to DAC automatically.
I'm using the ifi Micro idsd bl, which switches inputs automatically.
I've since purchased a Motorola G4 plus , which seems to work using any music app, including Poweramp.

May 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #8,968 of 9,526
Downloaded Poweramp and Neutron for my Pioneer XDP-300 r. The volume using Poweramp blasts. Can only listen at the lowest volume settings, even then it's loud. (looks nice, though). Likely will uninstall it.

May 26, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #8,969 of 9,526
Downloaded Poweramp and Neutron for my Pioneer XDP-300 r. The volume using Poweramp blasts. Can only listen at the lowest volume settings, even then it's loud. (looks nice, though). Likely will uninstall it.
You can try the settings->Audio->RG->Preamp settings. I would think that this would be unnecessary at line levels. Does your Pioneer have a gain setting for the input you are using?

May 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #8,970 of 9,526
?
The volume levels are fine with the built in music amp, and with Neutron. I'm just using iems for the most part. Don't really need multiple music apps, the built in isn't as flexible as some of the add ons. But I can do most stuff with Neutron (and I think it sounds a bit better than the built in app).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back