Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 22, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,911 of 9,526
Hey guys, I'm an audio newbie here and just got my very first pair of good IEMs (Westone W60s that I got on sale for $600). I've noticed that the same FLAC files sound better on my laptop than my T-Mobile Samsung S5 (rooted with Nougat). 

So... I happen to also be looking for a battery bank to keep my phone charged. This might have been answered already, but is there a portable DAC that I can buy that:

- Charges my S5 while it acts as a DAC? I seem to remember that USB OTG has some issues with this, right? My friend has an OPPO DAC and Nexus 6 and he says using it drains his battery very quickly...

- Good value? Something under $200. 

- Maybe also has Bluetooth built in? It would be nice to make my headphones "wireless." Or should I wait for AptX HD to come out? I tried the wireless Westone Bluetooth cables and wasn't really impressed by the audio quality... 

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #8,912 of 9,526
Hello everyone, I am pretty new to USB DACs and I have few questions regarding them. I have also posted my question on the dragonfly thread & I haven't received any responses so far. So, I am hoping I will get an answer here.

The Dragonfly black seems like a very good DAC, but is a little over my budget. So, I am wondering how good is the HIFIME SABRE USB DAC's SQ (like this one)? Are there any other good alternatives in this price range?

I mostly listen to chillstep, ambient trance, trap music, post-rock, etc and I like good, but not overwhelming bass and a non-fatiguing sound signature in general. Also, I mainly use my iems to listen to music from my laptop and android phone and I don't have headphones that are hard to drive. I am looking for a DAC that can be used with both my laptop and android phone (with something like a Micro USB to USB OTG Adapter). 

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #8,913 of 9,526
Hey guys, I'm an audio newbie here and just got my very first pair of good IEMs (Westone W60s that I got on sale for $600). I've noticed that the same FLAC files sound better on my laptop than my T-Mobile Samsung S5 (rooted with Nougat). 

So... I happen to also be looking for a battery bank to keep my phone charged. This might have been answered already, but is there a portable DAC that I can buy that:

- Charges my S5 while it acts as a DAC? I seem to remember that USB OTG has some issues with this, right? My friend has an OPPO DAC and Nexus 6 and he says using it drains his battery very quickly...

- Good value? Something under $200. 

- Maybe also has Bluetooth built in? It would be nice to make my headphones "wireless." Or should I wait for AptX HD to come out? I tried the wireless Westone Bluetooth cables and wasn't really impressed by the audio quality... 

From an audio quality point of view, you wouldn't want a charging DAC as the power flow would add noise in the form of jitter.

If you're willing to put up with that or pick up an ipurifier from ifi audio, then I think I've seen some being thrown around.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #8,914 of 9,526
@fuzzybabybunny - I've not been able to find a USB OTG cable that will provide a USB device connection and charge at the same time. When the S5 is in OTG mode it won't accept a charge; I've tried a few from Amazon and eBay. If you do find one that actually works please post as I'd be interested. I've used a couple of battery powered DACs and have to say that I haven't seen excessive battery drainage, just make sure that your DAC isn't being charged by the phone battery. I've got an iBasso D14 DAC and have been pleased with it. Not the best looking device but it works well with the S5, plays everything up to DSD and has both co-ax and optical digital inputs. It is a bit 'chunky' for a portable device.

You should be able to get something reasonable in your budget.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #8,915 of 9,526
Hello everyone, I am pretty new to USB DACs and I have few questions regarding them. I have also posted my question on the dragonfly thread & I haven't received any responses so far. So, I am hoping I will get an answer here.

The Dragonfly black seems like a very good DAC, but is a little over my budget. So, I am wondering how good is the HIFIME SABRE USB DAC's SQ ([COLOR=FF4400]like this one[/COLOR])? Are there any other good alternatives in this price range?

I mostly listen to chillstep, ambient trance, trap music, post-rock, etc and I like good, but not overwhelming bass and a non-fatiguing sound signature in general. Also, I mainly use my iems to listen to music from my laptop and android phone and I don't have headphones that are hard to drive. I am looking for a DAC that can be used with both my laptop and android phone (with something like a Micro USB to USB OTG Adapter). 

Have you looked into the Zorloo Zuperdac? It's currently on Massdrop for $59.99, but it won't ship until the end of April.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zorloo-zuperdac

I've never used one but there was one person in the Dragonfly thread who liked his Zuperdac more than the newer Dragonflies. I can't remember who or which Dragonfly though.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #8,916 of 9,526
Have you looked into the Zorloo Zuperdac? It's currently on Massdrop for $59.99, but it won't ship until the end of April.

I've never used one but there was one person in the Dragonfly thread who liked his Zuperdac more than the newer Dragonflies. I can't remember who or which Dragonfly though.
If you don't need DSD or >192, then this is a good budget choice.

But Michael Jackson - Thriller in DSD is amazing.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8,917 of 9,526

The Dragonfly black seems like a very good DAC, but is a little over my budget. So, I am wondering how good is the HIFIME SABRE USB DAC's SQ ([COLOR=FF4400]like this one[/COLOR])? Are there any other good alternatives in this price range?

It's a very basic DAC, but if you've never had one, it's a good starter DAC, assuming you have no need beyond 24/96.

However, in nougat, I wasn't able to connect the ES9023 (the underlying chip to the Hifime and other DAC / Amps) to the Android Sound Layer. So for future proofing, I wouldn't go with this DAC unless I was ok with playing everything through USB Audio Player Pro ($8 on Play Store).

For the price difference I'd get the Zuperdac (ES9018) over the Hifime as a starter DAC.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #8,918 of 9,526

It's a very basic DAC, but if you've never had one, it's a good starter DAC, assuming you have no need beyond 24/96.

However, in nougat, I wasn't able to connect the ES9023 (the underlying chip to the Hifime and other DAC / Amps) to the Android Sound Layer. So for future proofing, I wouldn't go with this DAC unless I was ok with playing everything through USB Audio Player Pro ($8 on Play Store).

For the price difference I'd get the Zuperdac (ES9018) over the Hifime as a starter DAC.

Thank you very much! I will check out Zuperdac.

I am also curious about the Fiio Q1 as it is priced similarly to Zuperdac. How does the SQ of Q1 compare to that of Zuperdac? Some reviews are saying that the Zuperdac draws a lot more power when compared to dragonfly black 1.5. The Q1 shouldn't have this issue as it has it's own battery.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #8,919 of 9,526
@rad7 - can't compare the Zuperdac with the Q1 but can confirm that the Q1 having its own battery doesn't place too much drain on the battery and won't try to draw too much power for the USB port to provide. One issue I had with the Q1 was that with my Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Tab A I had to use a USB hub between the OTG cable and the Q1; it didn't need to be a powered hub, just a hub so that's one to watch. With the Moto G and Galaxy S7E the Q1 works straight from the OTG cable, no hub needed.

The Q1 only works up to 24/96 though.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #8,920 of 9,526
Which usb hub do people here like? I've read good things about Anker and HooToo.

Also, will this cable work to connect my Meridian Explorer2 to a hub, and my phone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IH6QEN0/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1490268623&sr=8-7&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&rps=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mini+usb+y+splitter&dpPl=1&dpID=41yMzCMymNL&ref=plSrch

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #8,921 of 9,526
Thank you very much! I will check out Zuperdac.

I am also curious about the Fiio Q1 as it is priced similarly to Zuperdac. How does the SQ of Q1 compare to that of Zuperdac? Some reviews are saying that the Zuperdac draws a lot more power when compared to dragonfly black 1.5. The Q1 shouldn't have this issue as it has it's own battery.

Check the underlying DAC chip. Compare it to what's already been listed. Assuming it's Sabre, as long as it's a 9010 or 9018, you should be fine.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #8,922 of 9,526
Which usb hub do people here like? I've read good things about Anker and HooToo.

Also, will this cable work to connect my Meridian Explorer2 to a hub, and my phone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IH6QEN0/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1490268623&sr=8-7&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&rps=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mini+usb+y+splitter&dpPl=1&dpID=41yMzCMymNL&ref=plSrch

For a USB 2.0 hub and 4 ports, I use any one that comes with a 2.5A power adapter.

For a USB 3.0 hub and 4 ports, I use any one that comes with a 4A power adapter.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #8,923 of 9,526
I'm using two Anker usb 3.0 hubs w/ dedicated charging ports. And they have never failed me...

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #8,925 of 9,526
Is it the DAC chip or the USB controller chip that is the important issue and then there is the audio class compatibility to consider.

DAC chip, I believe, but I could be wrong.

I believe the USB controller sets power consumption as maximum bit depth / sample rate.

It's why the Encore mDSD and DFB support two different maximums, even though they use the same DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back