Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #766 of 9,526
Quote:
Thanks.
But I don’t think so, because "driver" is related to software at the kernel level.

I don’t know the iBasso DX100, but I think such a DAP doesn’t need an audio mixer module unlike a smartphone.

I have looked at the code, they are using their own custom "driver" to talk to the ESS. The stock player will fail to send audio to the ESS as it does not have the routines to talk to the ESS. The same is true if the custom audio player is installed on a device that does not have the custom driver. It just crashes. That is the reason they coded the custom audio player. the why? they need to read the bit rate and the frequency of the file everytime a new file is played (isolated to lossless). If there is a bit rate change OR a frequency change compared to the last song, the ESS has to switch to match the bitrate and Freq.  After the update that is coming, it will be a very good media player.  This is a Kernel level driver. They call it HighRezmusic... which is a global variable for the whiskey player (what they call thier app within android) that loads on start. the DX100 is custom from the ground up to include the audio player. there is no ALSA on the DX100. That has been pulled for ths custom driver.

Keep in mind that they are using Android 2.3.1.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #767 of 9,526
Would someone mind listing the top 5 portable dac/amp devices working with the Note 2 which DanBa kindly updates regularly? (not that I can afford the note2...YET :) )

Or if you feel comfortable including atop 5 portable dac/amp devices from your list of DAC/Amps each time you update the list, that would be great.

In particular, I'm interested in finding a portable DAC (compatible with the Note2) which is better than my DacMagic (unmodded).

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #768 of 9,526
Quote:

The O2 part of the ODAC+O2 combo or a separate O2 can’t be powered by USB as per design.

That's true of course. Maybe I misunderstood the original question. I never thought anyone would expect to power the O2 amp by USB, as the enclosure incorporates the two 9V batteries and there is no space savings, or reduction in cables by taking them out. 

In any event, having the ODAC+O2 combination in a single box the same size as the original O2 enclosure (as seen in my photos) is compact and very convenient! I think JDS Labs or others offering the O2 and ODAC for sale should produce an all-in-one version like this.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #769 of 9,526
That's true of course. Maybe I misunderstood the original question. I never thought anyone would expect to power the O2 amp by USB, as the enclosure incorporates the two 9V batteries and there is no space savings, or reduction in cables by taking them out. 

In any event, having the ODAC+O2 combination in a single box the same size as the original O2 enclosure (as seen in my photos) is compact and very convenient! I think JDS Labs or others offering the O2 and ODAC for sale should produce an all-in-one version like this.

They Do!!!

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/heaphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

Edit: but without the battery....so the search continues.
Edit2: Did you propose your design to them?

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #770 of 9,526
According to iBasso

"On the DX100, we use our own driver to replace andoird's Audioflinger.  The android's audioflinger only allows 16/44.1 output. That is also why all other android products only can output 16/44.1, but the DX100 can output 24/192."

AudioFlinger, a software module at the user space level can’t be replaced by a driver module at the kernel level.
AudioFlinger is an audio mixer, and the iBasso driver is aimed to drive the ESS conversion chip.

Quote:
I have looked at the code, they are using their own custom "driver" to talk to the ESS. The stock player will fail to send audio to the ESS as it does not have the routines to talk to the ESS. The same is true if the custom audio player is installed on a device that does not have the custom driver. It just crashes. That is the reason they coded the custom audio player. the why? they need to read the bit rate and the frequency of the file everytime a new file is played (isolated to lossless). If there is a bit rate change OR a frequency change compared to the last song, the ESS has to switch to match the bitrate and Freq.  After the update that is coming, it will be a very good media player.  This is a Kernel level driver. They call it HighRezmusic... which is a global variable for the whiskey player (what they call thier app within android) that loads on start. the DX100 is custom from the ground up to include the audio player. there is no ALSA on the DX100. That has been pulled for ths custom driver.

Keep in mind that they are using Android 2.3.1.

So the iBasso audio player is directly interfaced to the iBasso driver.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #771 of 9,526
Quote:
Or if you feel comfortable including atop 5 portable dac/amp devices from your list of DAC/Amps each time you update the list, that would be great.

Sorry, I can't.

By the way, is there a top amp which can be well-fitted to any pair of headphones (from hiss sensitive IEM to power-hungry HifiMan HE-6)?

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #772 of 9,526
$0.96 Black Friday Galaxy S3 spotted in Sam’s Club 2012 leaked ad
http://www.androidauthority.com/black-friday-galaxy-s3-sams-club-2012-ad-galaxy-tab-2-models-also-available-129281/

"[size=14.399999618530273px]The Samsung Galaxy S3 is listed at $0.96 for November 23, as you can see in the image above, and while the purchase still requires a new two-year contract, the price is definitely great.[/size]
[size=14.399999618530273px] We’re most likely looking at the 16GB Galaxy S3 version here, which will be available “in-club only” in two color options, blue and white. What we don’t know yet, is what carrier or carriers are bundled with this $0.96 Galaxy S3 offer."[/size]

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #773 of 9,526
Quote:

Sorry, I can't.

By the way, is there a top amp which can be well-fitted to any pair of headphones (from hiss sensitive IEM to power-hungry HifiMan HE-6)?

Thanks, I can appreciate why you wouldn't (based on your objective neutral posts on this thread).

On a side note, clove is offering the 64gb S3 on pre-order in the UK for £600 inc VAT. If they get enough pre-orders within the next 2 weeks to meet the minimum order to import it, they'll add it to their range (prob won't ship till Dec/Jan). Hopefully other companies in the UK and elsewhere will soon be offering unlocked 64gb S3s too. A 64gb S3+64gb microsd + external device would make for a great desktop alternative.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #774 of 9,526
Quote:
According to iBasso

"On the DX100, we use our own driver to replace andoird's Audioflinger.  The android's audioflinger only allows 16/44.1 output. That is also why all other android products only can output 16/44.1, but the DX100 can output 24/192."

AudioFlinger, a software module at the user space level can’t be replaced by a driver module at the kernel level.
AudioFlinger is an audio mixer, and the iBasso driver is aimed to drive the ESS conversion chip.

So the iBasso audio player is directly interfaced to the iBasso driver.

They replaced the entire chain...yes including the kernel driver. The entire chain from app, driver, kernel driver is custom.

and yes. The Whiskey Player interface directly with the custom driver and kernel driver HighRezMusic

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #775 of 9,526
Quote:

Sorry, I can't.

DanBa the RSA Intruder was basically designed with driving the HE-6 in mind, it has enough grunt to drive them, and also its low gain setting should be equally as capable for driving sensitive IEMs without hiss.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #776 of 9,526
It should already be the case of the RSA SR-71B.
But you can read on HeadFi or somewhere else that someone prefers another amp than the SR-71B, pairing to some given IEM or headphones.

I think no amp and no headphone are perfect at all frequencies as well as our ears, hence the well-pairing / well-fitting / synergy.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #777 of 9,526
Quote:
It should already be the case of the RSA SR-71B.
But you can read on HeadFi or somewhere else that someone prefers another amp than the SR-71B, pairing to some given IEM or headphones.

I think no amp and no headphone are perfect at all frequencies as well as our ears, hence the well-pairing / well-fitting / synergy.

Of course that is true, but at least the Intruder can serve both the HE-6 and sensitive IEMs from a technical standpoint, many of the others won't be able to accomplish that (whether an individual likes the sound is quite another thing, as you rightly point out).

I'll be able to tell you if I like the sound with the HE-6 fairly soon, since I just picked some minty-fresh ones up in the sale/trade forum. Just a few days wait on shipping...

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #778 of 9,526
Meizu's Flyme has been ported to Galaxy SII and Nexus S. Since the Galaxy SII has MHL support, the Flyme OS might allow SPDIF audio out exactly the same way the MX does. DACs like the FiiO E17 and Leckerton UHA-6S MKII have optical inputs that can take advantage of this. I have not been able to register on Meizume's forums to verify, but I've asked the question on XDA to see if they know.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #779 of 9,526
Quote:
Meizu's Flyme has been ported to Galaxy SII and Nexus S. Since the Galaxy SII has MHL support, the Flyme OS might allow SPDIF audio out exactly the same way the MX does. DACs like the FiiO E17 and Leckerton UHA-6S MKII have optical inputs that can take advantage of this. I have not been able to register on Meizume's forums to verify, but I've asked the question on XDA to see if they know.

Interesting news, thanks. Will keep an eye on developments there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back