Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 26, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #3,781 of 9,526
I think you can download the codec packs which will give you more functionality for your android devices. Of course that depends on how proprietary the manufacturer keeps the device functions. Cyanogenmod has cured a couple of the proprietary "issues" for me in the past.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #3,782 of 9,526
  I think you can download the codec packs which will give you more functionality for your android devices. Of course that depends on how proprietary the manufacturer keeps the device functions. Cyanogenmod has cured a couple of the proprietary "issues" for me in the past.

On non-rooted devices, there is no way you could possibly install codecs.

Also note that Android's own MediaPlayer class (which I cannot use) does not seem to use the MediaCodec API, so Android's own player plays more formats than one could by using the MediaCodec class. I reckon this is a bit too technical for most.
blink.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #3,783 of 9,526
Granted ...root access may be required for the codec updates. I should have included that in my original reply. I hadn't looked into changing codec settings too much for android. Since android is basically a proprietary distribution of linux made for mobile devices, it would seem possible. But, then again, root access would be required. XDA forums has many posts on rooting devices. I do not suggest doing so for someone who does not have experience in doing such things. There is always the possibility of bricking a device if something goes wrong.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #3,784 of 9,526

What you need is a hardware volume control as in UARP. It will come in one of the releases and it will remember the settings (unlike in UARP). Some DAC's initialize themselves with half volume. You could run UARP first, set the volume and return to UAPP as a work-around, but that might be very tricky.

Too bad there isn't a way to add some NPN transistors into the code. (Oh the wonders of fantasy) Realistically, there would have to be better output amplifiers added to the hardware. Of course, that would require different manufacturers to sell better quality goods. The trouble is consumers tend to buy on the low end to get a price break for their devices. I am guilty of this on occasion. But, as I get older I tend to prefer a better balance of quality goods and acceptable costs.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #3,785 of 9,526
using my microstreamer and s4 has much better sq

than microstreamer and laptop combo

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What SW do you use on your laptop? The SQ might depent a lot on the player app. Another thing to consider is power supply to the DAC. Do you hear any differences playing files on your laptop running from battery only vs from PSU?

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,786 of 9,526
using my microstreamer and s4 has much better sq

than microstreamer and laptop combo

What SW do you use on your laptop? The SQ might depent a lot on the player app. Another thing to consider is power supply to the DAC. Do you hear any differences playing files on your laptop running from battery only vs from PSU?

I'm using foobar and wasapi plug-in

however in my ears using dac in android has more refined sound than using laptop and win7

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,787 of 9,526
Hi to everyone,

I've read pages and pages but couldn't find some specific informations:

I have three questions:

1- Could someone please tell me FIRST HAND experience about which USB DACs are supported on a Nexus 10 running last CM11 ?
2- Same as above but with Nexus 4 CM11
3- Talking specifically about Hifimediy sabre DAC, do I need to purchase android version http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=124
Or can I get this http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83 with USB to optical feature to work on Nexus 10?

Thanks

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3,788 of 9,526
Beta version works fine for my Xperia Z1 with Just Audio UHA-120dsc. Sounds like a buy for me.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3,789 of 9,526
Dec 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,790 of 9,526
Pebble working with UAPP, the song name displayed is not changing, but the songs are.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,791 of 9,526
confirm uapp works with aesthetix Romulus CD/DAC

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,792 of 9,526
Confirm UAPP is working with S Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2, stock, European) and M2Tech HiFace DAC

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #3,793 of 9,526
Confirmed: Resonessence Labs Concero HD works natively with the NVIDIA SHIELD. Probably works with other Android devices with native support for USB audio, and the SHIELD is probably compatible with other USB audio devices, but the SHIELD is all I have on me right now (my AQ DragonFly does not work with Android period in my experience whether externally powered or not).

I don't even have an amp with me to verify this is working - had to use the video RCA -> male 3.5mm adapter I had lying around and use Audacity on my computer to record from the 3.5mm line in to confirm that there was audio coming out. 
rolleyes.gif

All this makes for a pretty bulky setup since I need an amp too…

An extremely weird setup indeed. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #3,795 of 9,526

What you need is a hardware volume control as in UARP. It will come in one of the releases and it will remember the settings (unlike in UARP). Some DAC's initialize themselves with half volume. You could run UARP first, set the volume and return to UAPP as a work-around, but that might be very tricky.

I also wish your team can add this funtion that make allow to sort my songs by artist or album in playlist , just like Playpro and Poweramp ,thank you~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back