Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 24, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #3,737 of 9,526
A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with standard USB DAC:
stock Android device > digital USB audio out >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/BOnMDQ

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3:
stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/2fPYtk

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note2:
stock Galaxy Note2 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/4Nq4Y8

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samung Galaxy S4:
stock Samsung Galaxy S4 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/dIwrqp

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note3:
stock Samsung Galaxy Note3 > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/7Bvkhz

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly non-interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO:
stock Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
None, for the time being, with the latest versions of USB Audio Recorder PRO as far as I know.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #3,738 of 9,526
  Ok, time for the first public beta of USB Audio Player PRO!

You can download it here:
USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_0.0.4.apk

Notes:

1. This is a BETA, meaning anything can happen. It can crash, burn, rip your ears apart etc.. or it might just work.. 
    biggrin.gif
  2. There are some (serious) limitations in this demo while we think of the best way to handle demo limits:
  * Time limit of 20 minutes
  * Max. around 8 songs (if you exceed it, it will start giving errors like 'Error playing back')
  * Some other secret limits :)
  1. If you have started UAPP without a DAC connected, it might be needed to force stop the app (or restart your device) before it gets recognized again.
  2. Some mono files are not supported (wav's are ok, mp3's are not).

Features compared to USB Audio Recorder PRO:
  1. Functions as 'regular' media player
  2. Play lists
  3. Gapless playback (if sample rate isn't changing between two audio files)
  4. Support for mp3 files
  5. Support for .m4a etc. files depending on your Android device
  6. Background playback (meaning that you can turn off the screen, go to other apps etc.)
  7. Sample rate conversion (if your DAC doesn't support the audio file's sample rate, it will be converted to a higher sample rate if available or the highest if not available)

Please contact me BY EMAIL (info AT audio-evolution.com) if you find problems. This forum is not a bug report forum for this app!

this is very good news, will give it a go on my S4 shortly

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #3,740 of 9,526
  I just tried the beta trial of UAPP and it kind of sounds weird (congested?) as opposed to the native USB audio on the Int S4 running CM11

What you get out of UARP and UAPP is the the pure unaltered sound. When you use the standard audio/CM11, you get 16-bit audio, processed by the audio chain of Android, which can include equalization and all sorts of mess/'improvements' like Dolby processing etc. There is likely going to be a difference. I'd be pleased to hear samples of both outputs, but you would need to record both streams somewhere in high quality as well.
In case you are playing mp3's, there can also be different codecs involved since we use libmpg123 to decode.

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #3,741 of 9,526
Hmm... I play FLAC files and tested with Neutron MP with all effects disabled and no audio mods installed, and also with UAPP. Maybe I'll try comparing with UARP. I could have gotten too used to the sound from neutron 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #3,742 of 9,526
  Hmm... I play FLAC files and tested with Neutron MP with all effects disabled and no audio mods installed, and also with UAPP. Maybe I'll try comparing with UARP. I could have gotten too used to the sound from neutron 
tongue_smile.gif

Perhaps. Can you tell me which DAC you use and which sample rate your flac is that sounds different? Also, let me know if your DAC has an indication of sample rate.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #3,743 of 9,526

I'll contact you privately.

OK, thanks!

BTW, it is not so straight-forward to find the paid version in Google Play Store: I tried searching for USB Audio Player Pro, and never got the UAPP. The only way I could find it is to go to UARP, and then select "See more from this developer" - is it just  me or this is the way it should be?

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #3,744 of 9,526
  OK, thanks!

BTW, it is not so straight-forward to find the paid version in Google Play Store: I tried searching for USB Audio Player Pro, and never got the UAPP. The only way I could find it is to go to UARP, and then select "See more from this developer" - is it just  me or this is the way it should be?

Unfortunately, that is the way the Play Store works. The term 'player' is used so often that a lot more apps hit the search target. If you search for "usb audio player pro" with quotes, you will find it directly. Searching without quotes will display it, but currently on position 108.

What would help is if people would rate the app (some already did, thanks!) and of course purchases help as well. :)  The rating system of the Play Store is on one hand complex, but on the other hand it's a system that drives the most income to Google: they put the best-selling and top-rated apps on top (which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy at some point).

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #3,745 of 9,526

Unfortunately, that is the way the Play Store works. The term 'player' is used so often that a lot more apps hit the search target. If you search for "usb audio player pro" with quotes, you will find it directly. Searching without quotes will display it, but currently on position 108.

What would help is if people would rate the app (some already did, thanks!) and of course purchases help as well. :)  The rating system of the Play Store is on one hand complex, but on the other hand it's a system that drives the most income to Google: they put the best-selling and top-rated apps on top (which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy at some point).

Bought and rated! :)))

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #3,746 of 9,526
Brilliant Christmas present! Just purchased, +1'd, shared to Twitter, 5-star rated. Deserves all the kudos it can get. Very solid 1.0 version, over time hopefully we'll see a few more things added to the music player capabilities, but for now I'm just ecstatic to have a reliable means of using USB audio with all my Android devices and not finding this or that DAC doesn't work with my latest phone.

Really need to dust off my video camera and get some more YouTube videos going, this deserves a feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back