Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,911 of 9,526
Quote:

For the time being, there are very few technical information available about the Nova tiny-M.
The Nova tiny-M has the same 24-bit ESS Sabre ES9023 conversion chip 
http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20PB%20Rev%200.2aPB%20110117.pdf
than the different HiFimeDIY DACs but its USB receiver chip is unknown:
. 16/48 TI PCM2706 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC
. 16/48 TI PCM2706 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC
. 24/96 Tenor TE7022 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC
. 24/96 asynchronous Savitech SA9023 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

The 24/96 AudioQuest DragonFly with a digitally controlled analog volume control has also the ESS Sabre ES9023 conversion chip, and its USB receiver chip is an asynchronous TI TAS1020.
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=13830
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/578.html

The Stoner Acoustics UD100 has also the ESS Sabre ES9023 conversion chip, and the 16/48 TI PCM2706 USB receiver chip.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626632/tiny-dac-big-sound-impression-of-stoner-acoustics-ud100-vs-odac

The upcoming UD110 is "a smaller and better replacement for UD100, running at 32bits.
And at the same price".
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=689220491092833&set=a.689220487759500.1073741826.426811050667113&type=1

Possible issue, I ordered the HIFIME DIY asynchronous U2 DAC to use with my Xperia TL. Had better features than the Tenor7022 version( 88k, asynchronous ), however it did not work with my TL. May have something to do with the asynchronous implementation. My TL did work with my desktop DAC with Tenor chip. U2 did work fine with my laptop and sounds great so I decided to keep it and ordered the mini Sabre with Tenor7022, should be here anyday. satwilson

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,914 of 9,526
Quote:
I’m wondering if you have tested the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC with the Xperia TL using USB Audio Recorder PRO.

Yes, and it did not work with UARP. Just got my Tenor7022 version mini Sabre today and it works fine. Wondering if it might be a driver problem with the U2? Looking into some USB power isolator options now mentioned on the DIY forum thread about the mini Sabre. Anyone have any opinions?

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #2,915 of 9,526
Just decided to get the HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC for Android to give that a whirl.

Also trying to buy the Tiny-M but says it doesn't ship to my region.

Thought it was about time I took a look at these tiny DACs given how beautifully portable they are, basically an in-line DAC. Can then go super portable with my UE900 and Westone 3 if using the Glacier or Pico is not an option for any reason.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,916 of 9,526
Quote:
Just decided to get the HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC for Android to give that a whirl.

Also trying to buy the Tiny-M but says it doesn't ship to my region.

Thought it was about time I took a look at these tiny DACs given how beautifully portable they are, basically an in-line DAC. Can then go super portable with my UE900 and Westone 3 if using the Glacier or Pico is not an option for any reason.

I now have 2 of the HifiMe DACS, the U2 asynchronous version for my desktop, and the Tenor7022 version for my phone. I am totally blown away with the SQ from these units given their price point. Don't have a lot of experience with other DACs except my Audio GD NFB-12 with dual Wolfson 8741's. The Sabre and the Wolfson have different sound sigs which for me is nice to play with. I look forward to your impressions after you get it (break in for 3-4 hours), as I believe this is one of the best options we have for our phones. satwilson

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,917 of 9,526
Quote:
Yes, and it did not work with UARP. Just got my Tenor7022 version mini Sabre today and it works fine. Wondering if it might be a driver problem with the U2? Looking into some USB power isolator options now mentioned on the DIY forum thread about the mini Sabre. Anyone have any opinions?

Perhaps, you should inform the developer of USB Audio Recorder PRO. He could fix the issue.

If you want, I can have a look what the issue is.
Please start USB Audio Recorder PRO, go to the Prefs tab, select Logging and then Log to file. Exit the app. Go into Android settings, Apps, select USB Audio Recorder PRO and Force Close the app. Start USB Audio Recorder PRO again and take note of what it says exactly. Let me know what it said and please email me the log file called USBAudioLog.txt in the root of your sdcard. Please email to info AT audio-evolution.com.

Also note if your DAC gets powered up when connecting. Is there a light or something that should be active when you connect it (without audio data)? You could check when connecting to your PC for example.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,918 of 9,526
Quote:
I've tested UAE Tiny with the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy S2 (JB 4.1.2) : Doesn't work with default audio player, only through USB Audio Recorder app

I have an S2 and I've been reading lots of bad news about its USB capabilities for a DAC. This is the only positive message that I've read. Has this UAE Tiny + USB Audio Recorder app been confirmed by others to work on the S2 ?  It would be worth it to spend a bit over €30 as the sound of the S2 earphone out is like a small wooden box inside my head somewhere. PS, mine is 4.1.2 as well.

Thanks in advance !

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,919 of 9,526
Quote:

Perhaps, you should inform the developer of USB Audio Recorder PRO. He could fix the issue.

Thanks Danba, however UARP is not my player of choice, and I appreciate his skills fixing issues. For ME, Neutron sounds best. To details: Xperia TL(BTW this phone has 1.5 Krait Qualcom dual core S4), according  to benchmark tests kicks BUTT!, only a quad core is faster! Anyway my subjective analysis is: With my Dell E1505, upgraded to T7600CPU, etc, the U2 RULES. HDTracks 96/24  downloads sound amazing. I have never found higher sampling and bit rates that much better. E1505>Winamp>96/24, W7 Pro set to 96/24, U2 to Blaze S-1(Chinese SR71A knockoff with AD797A  OP amp) X2 dual mono, portable>ZMF T50RP'S. The sound is awesome. Sony TL> Neutron,>OTG>USB hub> HifiMeDiyTE7022>Blaze S-1.>ZMF. The laptop setup retained the HDTracks 96/24 sampling and bit rate, however the same track in Xperia TL>Neutron, downsampled to 32/44, kind of strange? Anyway the U2 from the laptop sounded way better to me than the U23 from my Adroid TL. Way more detail, air, and clarity. I will be getting the USB power isolator from Teralink, that provides better SQ by separating the power and signal on the USB cable, and powers the DAC with its own power supply rather than draining the phone battery. Lots to learn here for me. satwilson

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #2,920 of 9,526
Quote:
Quote:
I've tested UAE Tiny with the following devices:
Samsung Galaxy S2 (JB 4.1.2) : Doesn't work with default audio player, only through USB Audio Recorder app

I have an S2 and I've been reading lots of bad news about its USB capabilities for a DAC. This is the only positive message that I've read. Has this UAE Tiny + USB Audio Recorder app been confirmed by others to work on the S2 ?  It would be worth it to spend a bit over €30 as the sound of the S2 earphone out is like a small wooden box inside my head somewhere. PS, mine is 4.1.2 as well.

Thanks in advance !

I've got the Boost Mobile Galaxy S2 (same hardware as the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch) running 4.1.2. I'll give it a try with my iBasso D-Zero a little later tonight and let you know.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,921 of 9,526
I just tried it and its not working. The DAC light on the D-Zero doesn't come on so it doesn't look like its recognizing it at all. With my Nexus 7 2013 tablet the DAC light comes on as soon as I plug it in and USB Audio Recorder Pro recognizes it, but not on the S2.

There were tons of different versions of the Galaxy S2, I wonder if some have USB audio support and some don't. Mine is model # SPH-D710 which is the S2 offered by Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and some other pre-paid carriers. On Sprint it was called the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #2,922 of 9,526
Quote:

For the time being, there are very few technical information available about the Nova tiny-M.
The Nova tiny-M has the same 24-bit ESS Sabre ES9023 conversion chip 
http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20PB%20Rev%200.2aPB%20110117.pdf
than the different HiFimeDIY DACs but its USB receiver chip is unknown:
. 16/48 TI PCM2706 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC
. 16/48 TI PCM2706 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC
. 24/96 Tenor TE7022 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC
. 24/96 asynchronous Savitech SA9023 USB receiver chip in HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

In the email conversation I had with Keith of Nova Tiny-M, he mentioned "tiny-m accepts 16/44.1 playback only..."

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #2,923 of 9,526
Quote:
I just tried it and its not working. The DAC light on the D-Zero doesn't come on so it doesn't look like its recognizing it at all. With my Nexus 7 2013 tablet the DAC light comes on as soon as I plug it in and USB Audio Recorder Pro recognizes it, but not on the S2.

There were tons of different versions of the Galaxy S2, I wonder if some have USB audio support and some don't. Mine is model # SPH-D710 which is the S2 offered by Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and some other pre-paid carriers. On Sprint it was called the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.

Thanks for trying. I think the HiFiMeDIY Tiny Sabre uses a simple USB chipset that should be recognised by even the lowliest phones. Maybe the D-Zero has a more advanced chipset. Just speculating.

My S2 is the bog standard i9100 as it was available carrierless in Europe. I'm considering just ordering the Tiny Sabre and trying it out with the UARP trial. Worst case, it will have cost me maybe 30 euro. If it does work and the quality is good, I would consider the async version for my PC.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #2,925 of 9,526
Quote:
In general, my experience is that the S2 does not have USB host. There is one variant that does however, probably for a specific carrier.

I was just reading a bit on the S2 and USB host. It turns out Samsung removed USB host support for the S2 and the original Note in a certain kernel. It can be put back in by using a modded kernel. Also, the S2 can only deliver a very low current. In any case, I'm getting an OTG adapter like this (http://www.icidu.com/nl/cables/computer/micro-usb-adapter.html) and I'll test it with a basic mouse first. In a few reviews of similar adapters, Android was indeed mentioned, so that should be good to test it out. If that works, I can get the HiFiMeDIY and see if it works. If it does, other PCM2706 based DACs could also work, I guess, but they should probably have their own power.

If I do get the HiFiMeDIY, I'll let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back