Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #1,321 of 3,813
regarding the tube rings - maybe i will make shorter ones, more similar to real rings, just for comparison and to learn something. as summary the tube rings correct one weakness at the cost of another weakness, so not that attractive, at least for this amp and the tube types used for it.

i by a far margin prefer tube rolling and finding the best tube combo for a specific sound, i have the feeling that tube rings here alwyas will be only a compromise.

my dream combo sounds better without tube rings (but i have to find another way to get this great bass quality enhancement, in this area the tube rings are doing a great job).

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,322 of 3,813
Honestly, as crazy as it sounds try to find a small slab of marble Approximately 11cm x 3cm x 5cm (L.W.D) and place it halfway across the amp top. I have no idea why this works but it does! Add's a little bass but also increases the openness!

Mine is scruffy looking as it is an off cut from a kitchen counter top but it does the job!

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,324 of 3,813
marble and aluminium (as other strong materials like granite or stone) have resonances and vibration modes in the 1 to about 10 KHz range, so the marble maybe absorbs some of the resonances of the aluminium, also the cradle - amp - marble construction works as damper for movement caused by external movement or vibrations.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,325 of 3,813
See, that is why your such a valuable member here GG, that now makes sense!

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,326 of 3,813
here are some nice pictures i found illustrating this. they show the amplitude of the resonances of the housing of a grundig amplifier:

resonance amplitudes of the housing placed on

bad / weak underground without base:

good / strong underground without base:

bad / weak underground, with base (hopefully like my cradle i will make):

good / strong underground, with base:

maybe this also illustrates why i will wait and make a base / cradle with the construction details as posted some time ago.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,327 of 3,813
ianmedium,

Is that marble or a rather large piece of Kendal Mint Cake?!? 

Cheers,
Andy

Quote:
Honestly, as crazy as it sounds try to find a small slab of marble Approximately 11cm x 3cm x 5cm (L.W.D) and place it halfway across the amp top. I have no idea why this works but it does! Add's a little bass but also increases the openness!

Mine is scruffy looking as it is an off cut from a kitchen counter top but it does the job!

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,329 of 3,813
Kendall mint cake, sheesh Andy, your bringing back memories, never could stand that suff!

GG, those graphs make sense, so I will continue to use the mint cake on my amp!

I am now going to turn my attention the base where I put my 801. I have a lump of cork covered wood which it rests on when I use my amp with it. I think I am going to try the wood cones underneath it and see what happens!

Oh Andy, I never heard back from multiple emails sent about that cable so I have given up on them!

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,331 of 3,813
+1
Kudos to you guys... 
size]

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,333 of 3,813
ianmedium,

Kendal mint cake is definitely an acquired taste, a bit like Marmite! 

No worries about the cable as the Epiphany one is very flexible and probably `sounds' as good. Do try to mail that Dire Straits SD card if you get a minute, as it'd be nice to revive a few musical memories.

Cheers,
Andy.

Quote:
Kendall mint cake, sheesh Andy, your bringing back memories, never could stand that suff!

GG, those graphs make sense, so I will continue to use the mint cake on my amp!

I am now going to turn my attention the base where I put my 801. I have a lump of cork covered wood which it rests on when I use my amp with it. I think I am going to try the wood cones underneath it and see what happens!

Oh Andy, I never heard back from multiple emails sent about that cable so I have given up on them!

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #1,334 of 3,813
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,335 of 3,813
So gold is now officially an option!

This just posted on ASP's FB page!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back