Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,337 of 3,813
I have to confess something:  I prefer my $1000 TU-05 more than my $ 3000 RWA Bellina Pro HPA ( DAC + AMP, with installed a MiniWatt Dario E188CC) 
gs1000.gif

Main reason is not portability (booth are battery operated), but... the BLACK SILENT background of the TU-05.  

Using the same headphone (TH900) & Source (RWAK100),With the RWA I always hear a little anowing HISS.. while with TU-05.... NOTHING !

Plus, with the TU-05 I still have room for improvement:
- Better interconnect (already ordered)
- Better Tube combo (tests...tests...tests...tets....)
- better source : RWAK-100s ( with a "REAL" Lino-out and better DAC Chip) instead of my RWL-100 with headphone out. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,338 of 3,813
Quote:
So gold is now officially an option!

This just posted on ASP's FB page!

Quote:
I was hoping for more of the brushed, Luxman-esque gold.

I was so excited when saw it on the facebook.

But after a second thought, I think I would agree with woodcans.
The goldie knob looks a bit too golden, not such as champagne-gold.
Oh boy... I'm hoping the real unit is close to the Luxman champage-gold... 
size]

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,340 of 3,813
bmichels, where do I find that interconnect on their website. I have looked but cannot find the exact page!

Love your thoughts on the amp as well. I think the silent background is something that not a lot of other tube amps can achieve and speaks greatly of the design.

As to the gold, I must admit it does look a little rosy to me, hopefully it is the photo rather than actual, though I will hold judgement until i see the whole unit!

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,341 of 3,813
S
bmichels, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Just wondering, are you going to order the RWAK-100S? 

Well... Since I already have the RWAK100 I will rather order the RWAK120-s when/if Vinnie make it available.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,343 of 3,813
today i have begun to make a first prototype for my base / cradle!

Oh boy! I cannot wait to see this! :D

Just remember my nickname for you... Heath Robinson.. I expect something as outrageous as one of his inventions! :D

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,344 of 3,813
bmichels, where do I find that interconnect on their website. I have looked but cannot find the exact page!

Well, he do custom made Stuff. I called him friday and asked for coper 10" strait + RA, and for €80 he shipped it today :). Super Nice Guy.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,345 of 3,813
GG & ianmedium.

A Bauhaus inspired steam-punk case with a faux snakeskin carry strap would be very rock`n'roll.

Cheers,
Andy. 

Quote:
Oh boy! I cannot wait to see this!
biggrin.gif

Just remember my nickname for you... Heath Robinson.. I expect something as outrageous as one of his inventions!
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,346 of 3,813
ok, some details, but really early prototype status:

as inner metal body for the base i use this:

this i a baking dish i bought just because i found it looking nice. really on the other side it has a nice carbon finish:

i will use it bottom up and will put some wood around:

i cutted some balsa wood pieces. all the pieces are cutted slightly to large, but when cutted into shape, glued together and painted with mahagony wood stain it will look much better.

there will be no edges, everything will be round, round corners, seamlessly integrating the metal carbon inner body.

there will be four feet with dampers integrated and mounted in the corners of the metal plate, adjustable in height. under the baking dish is enough room to also mount a power supply and to get it heavy enough with four tubes filled with sand.

also the baking dish is used for some electrical and rf shielding of the power supply.

the wooden front will have holes for input, headphone, power on/off.

to give you a feeling for the size, here are two pictures with amp:

obviously the construction to decouple the amp from the base (heavy plate, dampers) is missing at the moment.

this here is a damper part that can be mounted using M8 screws (feet with integrated rubber damping):

this is a complete very small damper used for rc model cars:

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,348 of 3,813
This is fascinating GG, I am really looking forward to seeing this progress.

One of your pictures raises a question I have been pondering. I wonder what the amp sounds like payed flat as you show it. There is more surface area that way for stability..

I think I might pop down to that kitchen counter place and see of I can get hold of some more marble and rig something up.

I must say I find there has been a not insubstantial benefit to the oak cones on marble base!

Oh, and my experiment with the oak cones under my 801 was a resounding success as well. Best way I can describe it is the effect is very similar to the amp.

Mass choir and large scale orchestral is where it is felt most in that the orchestra or choir take on greater depth and resolution which really gives a more palpable sense of scale to the music.

I know some mock these experiments as they feel portable gear does not benefit but that is simply not true! No matter the size of device it is electronics and thus susceptible to external vibrations!

Ok. As I wrote this I am going to construct a marble support to support both amp and 801, decouple them with the oak cones and see what happens!

GG, your an inspiration my friend!

And to others, why not give these things a go? It's not like all this cost a lot. Heck, most of the things I have tried are pennies in cost.. Or free!

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,349 of 3,813
i see no technical or other reason (but the fact that it is more stable and i am usually listen to music while lying on my bed) not to use the amp in this position.

all posts here about sound, tube combos etc. were based on listening to the amp in this position (both the amp's and nearly always my position
smile.gif
).

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,350 of 3,813
sometimes it is good to listen to a not so excellent or just another tube combo to really appreciate the best combo or your dream set.

after some time testing the valvo df91 - valvo dl92 combo with tube rings i switched back to my lorenz df96 - tung-sol ken rad dl92 dream set. what a difference in any aspect (maybe except the tube ring bass quality improvement). 

and good luck i ordered and have 3x lorenz df96 and 6x tung-sol 3S4 aka dl92. 

p.s. i have not forgotten that one member here (hi ianmedium) asked me why i bought six tung-sol's, but now i can honestly answer that this must have been intuition! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back