Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,296 of 3,813
okay, forget this bird cage sand, in fact very very small stones, damaged two wood disks with. i went down to the beach volleyball field, got the usual very fine sand, made a mixture of sand, tooth paste and alcohol, then cleaning the pins of each tube for one minute:

clean enough?

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,297 of 3,813
GG, I am at the moment sourcing some garnet powder in a small enough quantity as I remember a jeweller friend used to use that to polish precious metal to great effect. Once I do I will let you know how the kit works!

could be really the best choice. with the bird cage sand the inner part of two wood disks broke away, so sand or better pouder, something really fine with very small particles is recommended.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,299 of 3,813
GG, I am at the moment sourcing some garnet powder in a small enough quantity as I remember a jeweller friend used to use that to polish precious metal to great effect. Once I do I will let you know how the kit works!

could be really the best choice. with the bird cage sand the inner part of two wood disks broke away, so sand or better pouder, something really fine with very small particles is recommended.

Garnet powder is much much finer than sand of any grade. Its more like fine dust.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,300 of 3,813
Garnet powder is much much finer than sand of any grade. Its more like fine dust.

looks like spain minus portugal 
smile.gif

edit:

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,301 of 3,813

did you test the opposite side? seeing the pictures you and ianmedium have posted, you both place the tu-05 side panel side with the switches on top.

i did just the opposite, placing the side with the switches on the bottom side because the side with the switches is also the side where the output transformers and other components are mounted, assuming this side is where most of the resonances can be absorbed!

would be very interested in your results doing the same.

I would love to try, but my TU-05 is connected to my HEX dac and the hassle of plugging and unplugging cables is too bothersome at present. I will try on Monday when I move things around a little.

Very impressive solution Ian, and surely NOT Amateur at all !! I am tempted to use it also.   I may just try to replace may be your by some "nicer" ceramic cone to try.

buy, is the the granite support base really necessary ?  it is indeed the most heavy and inconvenient part for building/moving around id needed !   Have you tested your solution without it, just the big  3/4" slab of marine ply as a base ?  

Also van you post a profile picture  of the solution that show the layers under the 3/4" slab of marine ply  ( Granit - blocs of Blu-Tac)

Finaly, Spkrs01 mention a " Shakti Stone " !  what is it ?  is it like the granite you are using or some more exotic/hard to find stone ? 

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2,302 of 3,813
Very impressive solution Ian, and surely NOT Amateur at all !! I am tempted to use it also.   I may just try to replace may be your by some "nicer" ceramic cone to try.

buy, is the the granite support base really necessary ?  it is indeed the most heavy and inconvenient part for building/moving around id needed !   Have you tested your solution without it, just the big  3/4" slab of marine ply as a base ?  

Also van you post a profile picture  of the solution that show the layers under the 3/4" slab of marine ply  ( Granit - blocs of Blu-Tac)

Finaly, Spkrs01 mention a " Shakti Stone " !  what is it ?  is it like the granite you are using or some more exotic/hard to find stone ? 

The granite I have found is a great stabilized base. You could do it without but it would not be the same in my experience. Of course the piece I have is big (It was a free off cut at my local stone masons) but you could get a piece just slightly bigger. Another, lighter alternative would be to use two sheets of aluminum with Blu-Tac sandwiched between them to replicate in a way the Nagra set up. This is my next thing to try and I will report back..

The Blu-Tac is also between the ply and Granite and also I forgot to mention, between the granite and table I rest it all on.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,304 of 3,813
This is the guy I bought mine from on ebay and I can personally vouch for his excellent tubes, they are the same as the ones you show GG. The fellow you have shown GG tried to sell me two telefunken's for $76 which is outrageous for this type of tube!

This seller is very reasonable and his tubes excellent quality.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1T4-Cifte-1T4-DF91-W17-1K2-CV785-NIB-/181171373581?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Radios&hash=item2a2ea7c60d

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,305 of 3,813
This is the guy I bought mine from on ebay and I can personally vouch for his excellent tubes, they are the same as the ones you show GG. The fellow you have shown GG tried to sell me two telefunken's for $76 which is outrageous for this type of tube!

This seller is very reasonable and his tubes excellent quality.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1T4-Cifte-1T4-DF91-W17-1K2-CV785-NIB-/181171373581?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Radios&hash=item2a2ea7c60d

Yep, but... no holes... :)

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,307 of 3,813
Sep 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,308 of 3,813
Grandster, I can't see the image you posted, welcome, are you an ASP owner or thinking of getting one?

Bmichels, that is a heck of a lot of money for holes.. I think I will pay 90% less and live without holes :wink:

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,309 of 3,813
Grandster, I can't see the image you posted, welcome, are you an ASP owner or thinking of getting one?

Bmichels, that is a heck of a lot of money for holes.. I think I will pay 90% less and live without holes
wink.gif

Hey ianmedium, you said that the mullard dl92's are the exact same thing as the philips miniwatt dl92's right?

So would these be ok?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DL92-N17-3S4-1P10-MULLARD-EVEREADY-OTHERS-NEW-OLD-STOCK-VALVE-TUBE-J13-/370833952317?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item56576d0e3d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3S4-DL92-CV820-MULLARD-NOS-/260765283638?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item3cb6d27536

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #2,310 of 3,813
if he has two of the Marconi's jump on them! Otherwise in the other listing they are the mil speck Mullards. I have purchased from this seller and they are excellent and sound the same as the phillips i have but with a little more bass.

On to other tube news. Next week see's the arrival of two new tubes for me!! Very excited about these two as they come in a special case... :D

Lets just say Flavor flav has nothing on me..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back