Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,266 of 3,813
I have been using the TU-05 primarily as a Desktop amp for my (C)IEMs. Got round to buying some support feet yesterday. Very nice indeed, has cleaned the mid/ upper bass and is more resolving and detailed. Better expression and interplay of instruments in this FR.

The TU-05 sounded just fine before but now it far more open sounding, clarity and soundstaging has moved up a few levels. 

Extremely pleased..........................

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #2,267 of 3,813
Very very interesting.  Can you post infos (link to the seller) and pictures of the  support feet and a picture of your TU-05 on the  support feet  ? 

Do you rest the TU-05 FLAT ?  positionned  On a big piece of wood or concrete like IAN or just on your desk ? 

have you seen thoses ?

thanks

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,268 of 3,813
I lay the TU-05 flat and the feet were just bought from a local accessories shop. I did not go for cones but blocks, supposedly it is made by a Canadian company. 

The only other aspect that I would like to eliminate from the TU-05 is the ringing from the case, and may buy a Shakti Stone to sit on the case adding more weight on the case and the magic properties of the stone won't go amiss. 

Sorry about picture quality

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,273 of 3,813
SPKRS01, Do you have à close picture on those blocs ? Is there Any brand or web site printed on them so that we can find where/How to buy them ?

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #2,275 of 3,813

Isolate pads ?? It is still not clear to me if we want to Isolate thé amp from thé external world or INSTEAD THÉ OPPOSITE: if we want to évacuate out from the amp TO thé external world all the micro vibrations that stay inside thé amp (and may be generate all those titling & ringing) ? I Will think the 2nd answer is the corect one ! So we do not want in this case some " Isolate pads ", we want " transmition pads ". ;-€

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2,276 of 3,813
Will try and take pictures tonight, out now. However I tried googling the blocks but to no avail.

I am of the opinion that with cones and blocks etc, the purpose is to isolate and stabilize component from the outside world and stop minute vibrations ....first and foremost........

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2,277 of 3,813
  I lay the TU-05 flat and the feet were just bought from a local accessories shop. I did not go for cones but blocks, supposedly it is made by a Canadian company. 

The only other aspect that I would like to eliminate from the TU-05 is the ringing from the case, and may buy a Shakti Stone to sit on the case adding more weight on the case and the magic properties of the stone won't go amiss. 

Sorry about picture quality

Gavin, I found some weight discs that should reduce the ringing from the case of the tu-05. 1/2 inch discs are 50$

https://walkeraudio.com/shop/valid-points-resonance-control-kit/

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,278 of 3,813
Zach

Thanks. I may have used them before, I am into the mystical blacks arts, on my home rig but funnily have totally neglected it with my Head Fi gear until Ian mentioned the other day that I should use a stand.....

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #2,279 of 3,813
Zach

Thanks. I may have used them before, I am into the mystical blacks arts, on my home rig but funnily have totally neglected it with my Head Fi gear until Ian mentioned the other day that I should use a stand.....

A stand? Something like this?

http://www.gingkoaudio.com/cloud11.html

Isn't that overkill for the tu-05? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,280 of 3,813
I wake this morning to find the subject that is dear to my heart being discussed..Isolation!

As many of you know I have been experimenting with this since day one. First a cradle to support the amp when in vertical position but of late using the amp flat which I have found slight sonic gains in using that way.

I first went the Still-points methodology route which is to mechanically decouple the amp and transmit electrical vibrations produced by the amp away from it to then dissipate to ground. I tried this with brass and wood (Oak) cones.

What it did in the positive was to give transients more speed and the music felt it had more life and energy. The Amp rested on the Oak or Brass feet which were mounted on a large slab of Granite. My experiments then stopped as the amp had to go back for modification but in that time I started to read about isolation and the various materials and what was best for tubes.

Now, the Still-point route is wonderful for solid state apparently but not so good for tubes so I devised a home made solution combining all the things I had read. In stayed the Granite, out went the brass but the Oak stayed to be modified.

We still need to turn the electrical vibrations to heat so as to dissipate them but we need something with more damping so that the tubes are not too lively. Imagine pinging an old incandescent light bulb, you can hear the filaments rustle and ping and it can end up with the filaments breaking or shorting. Now, the grid in a tube is far stronger but it is still vulnerable to the vibration and as I found out recently in comparing the two approaches there are substantial sonic gains to be made when treating this amp as a home tube amp, not a portable as Gavin has now found. Cork is a wonderful material to both damp and turn electrical vibration into mechanical and thus heat which is easily dissipated

So my method which I covered a while back but will repeat here is to use the granite base as a support. On to that go four large blobs of Blu-Tac (the visco-elastic putty that one puts posters on the wall with). On to this goes a 3/4" slab of marine ply which I covered with a vinyl wrap (the vinyl in my experience stabilized the wood and damped it a little more). This is the top base.

On top of this go three smaller blobs of Blu-Tac on which the Oak feet sit. The pictures below will explain it more but in detail I made the Oak feet into layered isolation feet. The rounded section rests on the blobs of Blu-Tac and the flat base is the support for the amp. On to the base I smeared a thin Layer of Blu-Tac on to which I placed a disc of cork which is approximately 2mm thick.

Two of these feet at the front under each transformer and one in the middle at the back. I have found three better than four as four gives too much damping I have found.

The sonic results are quite remarkable. My "pingiest" tubes are the Marconi's but they are also amongst my favourite in terms of depth, transparency, bass and texture. But they are noisy with the tinging sounds of the filaments (this is not tube noise by the way and does not show a failing tube like rustling noise does) So tubes display more tinging, others less, it just is..

But the tinging was annoying as it showed up every time I turned the volume or moved the cable or touched the case. I can say with this isolation method the tinging has almost disappeared. What this isolation method has also done is create an even inkier black background, tightened up and deepened the bass, given mid's more intimacy and more air to the top end. All the good stuff!

The last part is my "Shakti" solution! I had a small piece of Granite left so coated the base with the cork/Blu-Tac solution and rest this on top of the amp between the transformers. What this has done is more subtle but the improvements are there in terms of increasing the improvements from my isolation idea's.

Now I know this all looks terribly amateur and not slick at all and I am sure that there are far more attractive solutions that do the same thing that one can purchase but I would rather spend the several hundred bucks they cost on another set of headphones and spend what I did which was about $15 in total for this DIY solution. I am sure it can be "prettied up" a bit for the BWFH (as dear old Ken Kessler would say) factor :D

Hope I have not droned on too much and you found this interesting. Here are so quick pictures!

Oh yes, the Rolls Royce thing is a gift I received for attending the launch party of the new Phantom II last year. I have found it makes a great base to rest my DAP on when listening to the amp! Its made of Oak in the Rolls Royce wood workshops in Goodwood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back