Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,311 of 3,813
Sep 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,312 of 3,813

Thanks, just ordered a pair. More bass is probably a good thing anyways

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,313 of 3,813
Remember, lots of burn in, at least twenty hours will see them really open up!

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,315 of 3,813
I find things get really better after twenty hours and improve a little more after that but not as much. This amp needs less warm up but I have a routine which has proved to be really valuable.
First I switch on the amp and allow the tubes to settle for a minute. Then I play music for about twenty minutes before listening properly. I find that way I am listening at the highest quality as everything comes together after about twenty minutes in my experience.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #2,316 of 3,813
I find things get really better after twenty hours and improve a little more after that but not as much. This amp needs less warm up but I have a routine which has proved to be really valuable.
First I switch on the amp and allow the tubes to settle for a minute. Then I play music for about twenty minutes before listening properly. I find that way I am listening at the highest quality as everything comes together after about twenty minutes in my experience.

Thanks, when you use sensitive iems with the tu-05, is there hiss? Or is the blackground black? Because I absolutely hate hiss in the background xp

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,317 of 3,813
I have never heard hiss. In fact it is one of the most extraordinary things about this amp. It is not just quiet for a tube amp but simply quiet all together. The only hiss you will hear is from the master tape on older recordings!

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2,318 of 3,813
I have never heard hiss. In fact it is one of the most extraordinary things about this amp. It is not just quiet for a tube amp but simply quiet all together. The only hiss you will hear is from the master tape on older recordings!

Whew! That's a relief hahaha. Is it bad for the amp to leave the amp on constantly 24/7 while being plugged into a power outlet?

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,319 of 3,813
this amp is so dead silent that the first days when there was a longer gap between two tracks i automatically looked if the colorfly c4 were out of power.

the amp is really dead silent, absolutely no hiss to hear with akg k3003, fad pf viii, even with the very sensitive ue tf10, nothing.

always connected to power is not the best condition for the internal battery, always on also for the tubes makes no sense.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #2,320 of 3,813
As GG says it is not good to leave the amp plugged into the power socket. In fact Shikada San is very keen on these instructions.

Don't leave the amp plugged in to the mains once the battery has reached full charge. The only time it is OK to do so is when listening to music but I think he prefers the amp used on battery power only.

Also, try not to let the battery drain completely, he says it shortens the life of the battery. If the battery should drain completely it may trip the safety circuit so if your amp appears to be dead then simply plug it in and charge the batteries. By doing so you re set the trip switch.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,322 of 3,813
Oh thats great. GG has devised a great way of cleaning pins. I have one of his kits so will give it a try soon but in the meantime here is a link to my photo tutorial of the way I developed. It is more labour intensive but I find it oddly therapeutic!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/165#post_9305627

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2,323 of 3,813
tube cleaning kit:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/630#post_9573905

distribution:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/1245#post_9649904

woodcans takes care of the US distribution. each cleaning kit includes a 'how to use' description.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2,324 of 3,813
ianmedium - i am very interested in your results with that garnet powder. i tried a powder made to clean stainless steel but it did not work very well because the powder is too fine to apply enough friction force to the pins, the sand saturated with alcohole worked much better.

so hope the garnet powder is best of two worlds with the cleaning power of sand but finer particles so better polishing the pins.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #2,325 of 3,813
just had the idea to use a mortar and a pestle to get much finer sand:

and used this now very fine sand to clean the pins of two tubes with really dirty pins (tungsram 1s4).

here you see the cleaning result (about 90 seconds of cleaning with this sand saturated with alcohole) in comparison (uncleaned pins of tube one, cleaned pins of tube two):

and here both tubes with cleaned pins:

using this sand with its much smaller and finer particles the pin's surface is not only cleaned but much more even, much smaller scratches, so the garnet powder should be even better and perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back