An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #1,291 of 9,499
Quote:

Bugger...
eek.gif

Remember what your wife said? 

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,292 of 9,499
No worries there. I'm not prepared to drop $1M on a vintage Fezza. Was a beauty, though.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #1,295 of 9,499
I'm assuming they have the documentation to prove that's a real GTS and not a GTB that had its top chopped?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari/1971-ferrari-365-gts-4-daytona-spyder-ar129056.html

Only 122 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 were made!! The dream car at the absolute top of my list - even in that butt-ugly brown!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,296 of 9,499
Yeah, it's a real GTS, with only like 3k miles on it and complete documentation. Here's a link to the car in question. It's something else.

As for the Vanquish, frak, but that's an awesome car to drive now. :eek: I'm very happy. The gear ratios, clutch feel (they adjusted it to my taste), very short-throw shifter, pedal positions, throttle response, everything, is on the money. All the way back it drove like a dream. It really hauls a** up to 100 now, where before it was a little pokey (for what it is). I did lose my cup holders, but some sacrifices must be made. :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,297 of 9,499
1 Miiillion dollars

Don't you think we should ask for *more* than a million dollars? A million dollars isn't exactly a lot of money these days.

I'm assuming they have the documentation to prove that's a real GTS and not a GTB that had its top chopped?
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari/1971-ferrari-365-gts-4-daytona-spyder-ar129056.html
Only 122 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 were made!! The dream car at the absolute top of my list - even in that butt-ugly brown!!

I actually liked the color...

Yeah, it's a real GTS, with only like 3k miles on it and complete documentation. Here's a link to the car in question. It's something else.
As for the Vanquish, frak, but that's an awesome car to drive now. :eek: I'm very happy. The gear ratios, clutch feel (they adjusted it to my taste), very short-throw shifter, pedal positions, throttle response, everything, is on the money. All the way back it drove like a dream. It really hauls a** up to 100 now, where before it was a little pokey (for what it is). I did lose my cup holders, but some sacrifices must be made. :wink:

I too drive a car with no cupholders. You could always get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-91100-Black-Holder/dp/B001DKRKGS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355549355&sr=8-5&keywords=cup+holders

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,298 of 9,499
In some ways that Daytona makes me sad. It's obviously been primarily a garage queen for most of its life. That makes it incredibly valuable - yet the car was MADE to be driven - and if it were 1973, I can't think of another car that I would rather have been driving.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #1,299 of 9,499
In some ways that Daytona makes me sad. It's obviously been primarily a garage queen for most of its life. That makes it incredibly valuable - yet the car was MADE to be driven - and if it were 1973, I can't think of another car that I would rather have been driving.

Aye. But what would you do if you wrecked it?

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,300 of 9,499
Dec 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,301 of 9,499

This, all of it. It bothers me too. I don't own any garage queens (or $1M cars, for that matter), I drive all mine. Maybe some more than others, but you get what I'm saying. Most owners of rare cars only think of them as investments, because let's face it, the people buying them are wealthy investors. However, my stance is, and always will be, that the true beauty of them is in driving, not letting them rot in a garage. People gripe about Chris Evans driving his $16M Ferrari Cali SWB around the neighborhood on the weekends, risking it being damaged, but I say gods bless him for it. He's much more of a collector and enthusiast than the cowards in the hobby.

Although I won't be getting a GTS Daytona, I will have a GTB (and F40), and you can bet it'll be driven regularly.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,302 of 9,499
Aye. But what would you do if you wrecked it?

Fix it. They so rare that a little resto work doesn't change their value much, if at all.

and yes to the cupholder thing... but, uh, maybe one a little more sturdy than that. :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,303 of 9,499
Fix it. They so rare that a little resto work doesn't change their value much, if at all.
and yes to the cupholder thing... but, uh, maybe one a little more sturdy than that. :wink:

God gave you a lap for a reason. :p

Seriously everything I'm finding on Amazon that is more robust is designed for hooking onto strollers or mic stands; and I'm doubting I'd have much better luck at Wally World or Checker. :xf_eek:

And yeah, I figure "fix it" is a reasonable response - I agree on the point about driving cars, not making them trailer queens. I'm thinking more of the "historic preservation" side - don't explicitly destroy something that isn't easily replaced, but then again, I'm reminded of our discussion on book burning and my Lincoln has seen it's share of yard tools and (once) an entire fridge loaded into to be carted around. At the end of the day they're just cars.

Since you mentioned Chris Evans (no idea who he was), I looked up the whole thing - and upon seeing a picture of what he paid millions and millions of dollars for, my response was more "really?" than "ooo purdy." I mean, if it gets him off, that's great, but really?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #1,304 of 9,499
God gave you a lap for a reason. :p
Seriously everything I'm finding on Amazon that is more robust is designed for hooking onto strollers or mic stands; and I'm doubting I'd have much better luck at Wally World or Checker. :xf_eek:
And yeah, I figure "fix it" is a reasonable response - I agree on the point about driving cars, not making them trailer queens. I'm thinking more of the "historic preservation" side - don't explicitly destroy something that isn't easily replaced, but then again, I'm reminded of our discussion on book burning and my Lincoln has seen it's share of yard tools and (once) an entire fridge loaded into to be carted around. At the end of the day they're just cars.
Since you mentioned Chris Evans (no idea who he was), I looked up the whole thing - and upon seeing a picture of what he paid millions and millions of dollars for, my response was more "really?" than "ooo purdy." I mean, if it gets him off, that's great, but really?

The car did belong to James Coburn, and is absolutely complete with no major restoration work. So, it's a special car among special cars, more valuable than most others of that model.

But I'd absolutely have to drive it too, it's just too beautiful to keep locked away.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #1,305 of 9,499
The car did belong to James Coburn, and is absolutely complete with no major restoration work. So, it's a special car among special cars, more valuable than most others of that model.

Still doing nothing for me. *shrug*

I mean I respect what you're saying, but it still does nothing for me. Now if we were talking about say, John Carmack's 512, that'd be different (at least to me). Different strokes and all that.

But I'd absolutely have to drive it too, it's just too beautiful to keep locked away.

Oh I'd drive it too, but basically all I'm seeing there is a relatively understated and sophisticated looking drop-head. I think it's safe to say the cachet of that car is lost on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back