An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Sep 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #316 of 9,499
Quote:
I'll bet you can also buy any gun you want...
Not quite the same out here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia...

Not to mention the ridiculous 10-round clips... 
rolleyes.gif
  Speaking of sidearms, does anyone else out there like the Kimber Raptor II?  The stainless is calling to me...

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #317 of 9,499
The 10 round mag doesn't bother me as much as the "Approved handgun roster" - that freaking drives me crazy. I've always wanted a 1911 - but I just never pulled the trigger (pun intended). I should have bought one back in the 80s when they were really cheap - who would have guessed they would be $1000+ now??? Kimber seems to have a very mixed reputation - some people love them, other people report lots of troubles. A local range had Kimbers as rentals and I once asked them if they had any trouble with them, and they said no more than any other rental. I agree the Raptor II in stainless is a beauty! One of these days I might get an RIA 1911, just so that I can say I have an example of the beast. The RIA is more in my price range. I would much rather shoot a .45 than a 9mm or .40 - I find big slow bullets more enjoyable to shoot than the sharp kick of the smaller high-speed ammo.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #318 of 9,499
For a while I was really into the P228.  But then I decided to try out a random 1911 at the L.A. Gun Club.  It just happened to be a Kimber Raptor (with a trigger mod I believe).  Despite the kick, I actually get better groupings with the Kimber.

Quote:
I find big slow bullets more enjoyable to shoot than the sharp kick of the smaller high-speed ammo.

Yeah, me too.  Didn't think I would have before I tried it, but I definitely do.

Now the Desert Eagle .50 is another story.  I can't stand that thing.  Big, impractical, and about as accurate as Beats.  Would NOT want my life to depend on that piece, ever.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #319 of 9,499
Quote:

Now the Desert Eagle .50 is another story.  I can't stand that thing.  Big, impractical, and about as accurate as Beats.  Would NOT want my life to depend on that piece, ever.

This made me chuckle a bit, although you could tell what was going to happen....

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #320 of 9,499
Quote:
This made me chuckle a bit, although you could tell what was going to happen....

And I'll bet you anything she did NOT hit was she was aiming for...
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #321 of 9,499

I think a normal-sized guy has to be able to hold the weapon with both hands. If not, then you have to be able to bolt it on to a Ford F150. If the gun is larger than that you have to leave it at home.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #322 of 9,499
I shot one clip of a Desert Eagle in .50 AE - that was enough for a lifetime. Sigs are sweet, sweet guns. The most fun I have ever had shooting paper targets at the range was shooting very lightly loaded (mouse fart) .44 special wadcutters from a big Ruger Redhawk. Blowing giant, perfectly round holes in the target with such a mild recoil was a blast. I've never been a macho power-junkie with firearms - I'm perfectly happy to spend all afternoon shooting 1000 rounds of .22 - and in the process spending less than a couple of mags of the .50 AE.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #323 of 9,499
These guys are right down the road from where I live - someday I would like to try one of those BMGs. Looks like a good way to burn $100 in about 10 seconds...

http://ebrworks.com/AOW__Belt_Fed___Exotic.html

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #324 of 9,499
Update on the lecture. I thought that going there would possibly re-awaken my desire to teach. I'm very happy to say that I was wrong. :) I went, I did it, and I felt ashamed of our education system all over again. It looked like half of them didn't show up, two of them slept, most of the rest looked like lost sheep. In high school the onus is on me to engage the students and get them involved, but by the time they've been in college for 6+ years that shouldn't be an issue anymore. I brought reference materials for them, typed it all out myself, but they just wanted web site links to the information. After telling them the content probably wasn't online, I'd gotten most of it from actual books published over 70 years ago, they looked at me like I'd sprouted a tentacle from my forehead. Literature means studying dead tree products, and even vellum in some cases. Too archaic for them, I guess. The professor told me it was fantastic and "pretty hardcore", but shouldn't grad school be hardcore? :blink:

In cooler news, my HE60s arrived, and holy #%%#, it looks like they've barely been used. They have the STAX adapter with them, which is good, and I'm listening to them through my SRM-717. These are very, very good. This is, by far, the highlight of my day.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #325 of 9,499
Quote:
I think a normal-sized guy has to be able to hold the weapon with both hands. If not, then you have to be able to bolt it on to a Ford F150. If the gun is larger than that you have to leave it at home.

BTW, gonna get pop-out guns put in the Aston?  I'd like to see Sturgeon make fun of it then...
wink.gif
  "Hey Sturge, check this out!  My new Aston can kill things that it doesn't like!  Having lasers put in next month so I can write in name into other cars' paintjobs."

Quote:
I shot one clip of a Desert Eagle in .50 AE - that was enough for a lifetime.

Amen brother.  Some weekend warrior at the range was giving me **** about how "real men shoot big guns."  I'm usually a fairly calm guy, but I just had to quip back that "real men hit what they're aiming at."

Quote:
I've never been a macho power-junkie with firearms - I'm perfectly happy to spend all afternoon shooting 1000 rounds of .22 - and in the process spending less than a couple of mags of the .50 AE.

Yeah, I'm with you there.  Though I've never shot anything smaller than a 9mm (unless you count plinking in the desert with a .22 rifle - but that's really just messing around).

Hey, in trying to bring guns and cans together, have any of y'all tried the Howard Leight Syncs?  I'd hazard a guess that the isolation is excellent, but I've always been curious about the SQ.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #326 of 9,499
Quote:
These guys are right down the road from where I live

Aww, you should have come to the L.A. Meet!  Wait, did you come to the L.A. Meet?

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #327 of 9,499

Seriously I want to go live near Magick now...:D

Not to mention the ridiculous 10-round clips...  :rolleyes:   Speaking of sidearms, does anyone else out there like the Kimber Raptor II?  The stainless is calling to me...

Lol.

I don't remember *which* Kimber 1911 I tried, it was a nickel plated/tactical affair a few years ago (bloody expensive that one) - nice weapon. I like the safeties from an EDC perspective, and I think that is their primary target market, but for a range weapon it just seemed a little...much. (Seriously do I need a triple interlock safety to kill Bambi? I mean if I was walking the street I wouldn't really like it any other way, but it seems like a "more things to break" liability outside of that).

Now I know I want to come live there. :D

Update on the lecture. I thought that going there would possibly re-awaken my desire to teach. I'm very happy to say that I was wrong. :) I went, I did it, and I felt ashamed of our education system all over again. It looked like half of them didn't show up, two of them slept, most of the rest looked like lost sheep. In high school the onus is on me to engage the students and get them involved, but by the time they've been in college for 6+ years that shouldn't be an issue anymore. I brought reference materials for them, typed it all out myself, but they just wanted web site links to the information. After telling them the content probably wasn't online, I'd gotten most of it from actual books published over 70 years ago, they looked at me like I'd sprouted a tentacle from my forehead. Literature means studying dead tree products, and even vellum in some cases. Too archaic for them, I guess. The professor told me it was fantastic and "pretty hardcore", but shouldn't grad school be hardcore? :blink:
In cooler news, my HE60s arrived, and holy #%%#, it looks like they've barely been used. They have the STAX adapter with them, which is good, and I'm listening to them through my SRM-717. These are very, very good. This is, by far, the highlight of my day.

*sigh* Yeah, I won't even touch this one - you know I agree with you.

Also neat to hear on the HE60. My new toys just arrived too - for some reason I keep staring at them, haven't plugged'em in yet...:basshead:

BTW, gonna get pop-out guns put in the Aston?  I'd like to see Sturgeon make fun of it then... :wink:   "Hey Sturge, check this out!  My new Aston can kill things that it doesn't like!  Having lasers put in next month so I can write in name into other cars' paintjobs."

Amen brother.  Some weekend warrior at the range was giving me **** about how "real men shoot big guns."  I'm usually a fairly calm guy, but I just had to quip back that "real men hit what they're aiming at."

lol. Seriously. I've actually been curious about the Five-seveN (and seeing it in Hit List just made it even cooler) - mostly because they're supposed to have excellent stopping power but almost no recoil. The point isn't to compensate for something, it's to make it home alive (or with dinner, or whatever).

Never fired a DE, a buddy's brother got a .44 and said it was not worth the price or the hype; at the time he'd had it for a few years, and I think he'd only ever fired it a handful of times just for grins. I mean seriously, when the primary selling "upgrade" is gold plating - that's just ridiculous imho.

Yeah, I'm with you there.  Though I've never shot anything smaller than a 9mm (unless you count plinking in the desert with a .22 rifle - but that's really just messing around).

Hey, .22's are neat! But yeah I don't get why "we" need to want to carry Beowulf with us everywhere we go - what are we trying to kill? Godzilla?

Hey, in trying to bring guns and cans together, have any of y'all tried the Howard Leight Syncs?  I'd hazard a guess that the isolation is excellent, but I've always been curious about the SQ.

I have the non-headphone version of those, the L3. They get hot pretty fast (unless it's <0* outside), but the isolation is excellent (better than the QC15 imho) - I use'em for my snow clearing machine in the winter (they get too hot to use with the lawnmower even in the spring). They're sort of comfortable, but sort of not. I tried modding headphone drivers into them and it was pretty terrible, so they went back to stock.

Tyll measured the Sync, http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HowardLeightSync.pdf
They look pretty bad. And insanely insensitive. Then again, aren't they only like $50?

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #328 of 9,499
Even though I'm mostly shooting .22 & light loads of everything else, I usually wear foam plugs AND Peltor muffs - and it's only because there is ALWAYS some Buford next to me with a S&W .500 Mag or a .454 Casull showing off his manhood. Drives me crazy. The good news is that they usually aren't there very long because they can't afford to shoot those cannons.

As far as students go - our species is doomed. What you are seeing is just the leading edge of the great fall of humans. It starts in the decadent USA - and the 2nd & 3rd tier countries will keep us going for a while, but once the rot sets in, it will spread quickly.

Idiocracy will prevail.

Hopefully the squid will do better - I think they are destined for greatness. I welcome our new Squid Overlords...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back