An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Sep 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #301 of 9,499
Very cool, but out of the ballpark. The limit is $300k or not much more. Now, another to consider, for the same money as a 458 Spider:

Not the typical Ford GT, this is a GTX1 roadster, with the 700bhp engine package. One of 38 built, only 3 were red. Booooiiingg!

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #302 of 9,499
Quote:
Very cool, but out of the ballpark. The limit is $300k or not much more.

Why not a spyker c8 aileron? about 275K$ new :

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #305 of 9,499
BTW, it appears the boys & girls in Beijing have been busy...

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/questions-abound-as-china-unveils-another-stealth-jet/

All I will say is that canted tails and a blended body does not automatically equal stealth...

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #308 of 9,499
Ewww, post-Russian TVR. Ewww. Either get the Tuscan like Swordfish, or the Cerbera (not Speed 12 - well then again, you said impractical). Chameleon paint should be assumed. :D
Mmmm, gorgeous Ford. I thought you said no Americans though, lol.

I loved Swordfish. Watch that movie on a killer surround system with a kickass subwoofer at a volume just below the pain threshold - it's a religious experience...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh5siM_vcOw[/VIDEO]

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #309 of 9,499

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #310 of 9,499
I think if you want to stay under $300K and actually *drive* the thing (and not just pay storage fees while you wait for parts) then you need to stick to one of the marquee brands - Aston, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. At least with those there is *some* hope of actually keeping it running down the road - especially when you consider that you also need it to be US street legal. Now, if price is no object and you just want to truck it around to parking lots and look cool, then Pagani, Koenigsegg, Gumpert, Ascari, etc... :p

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #312 of 9,499
Ewww, post-Russian TVR. Ewww. Either get the Tuscan like Swordfish, or the Cerbera (not Speed 12 - well then again, you said impractical). Chameleon paint should be assumed. :D
Mmmm, gorgeous Ford. I thought you said no Americans though, lol.

It's sort of American. It has a Ford badge, and a Ford block, but was designed by the British. Then, an Italian had a German take the GT completely apart, go over everything with a fine-tooth comb, rework the body, and rebuild the engine (adding 150hp, taking out 150lbs, and retuning the exhaust). :D

So, the candidates are the 458 Spider, the GTX1, and the Saleen S7 w/ comp pack.

The 458 is ahead by leaps and bounds, though, because: warranty, 7 years free maintenance, service place 10 miles from my house... hmm, I think I'm starting to get practical about this. hahaha Oh well, I don't want to get something that's in the shop more than my garage.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #313 of 9,499
I think if you want to stay under $300K and actually *drive* the thing (and not just pay storage fees while you wait for parts) then you need to stick to one of the marquee brands - Aston, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. At least with those there is *some* hope of actually keeping it running down the road - especially when you consider that you also need it to be US street legal. Now, if price is no object and you just want to truck it around to parking lots and look cool, then Pagani, Koenigsegg, Gumpert, Ascari, etc... :p

Here "street legal" just means that it has tags on it. :D They'll register practically anything, as long as you have a title of some kind, VIN, and it has wheels on it. If it isn't in their system, they'll write it up manually and give you a plate, they want the tax money. We have no vehicle inspections, the clerk just looks out the window and asks if all your lights work. Insurance is a little more tricky, for that you have to setup a private bond that meets state liability requirements ($50k). That's a great way to go, actually, as long as you don't have teens. Despite my wife's antics in the MGB, she's a safe driver on the roads and hasn't had an accident involving bodily harm (and I've never had one at all, seriously *knock on wood*). One of the fuel stations next to the airport sells racing fuel, and you can just pump it directly into your car. There's a law against it, but the owners and local police couldn't care less. Emissions standards? What are those? Heh.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #315 of 9,499
After reading through this thread, i've realized something, something both simple and complicated: I want a girl to spend Saturday evening listening to music with. She doesn't have to give 2 craps about the gear, because I budget fairly well, but she has to love the music.

As for the cars, i'm speechlessly jealous of the choices you have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back