Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Jun 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #647 of 1,285
Hi,
Dose anyone know where I can buy LCD2 in Hong kong and how much?
I found a link at Audeze homepage but not so much help.

Thanks,

http://www.headphone.com.hk/
Fantastic shop, seeing all the high end stuff in one place that one only reads about here. Super friendly and helpful salesperson.

Prices are in HK$ and should be equivalent to US$ retail.

The end of March, I was at the Central Store near Soho just to demo LCD-3s. Don't know if they would budge on the price, but it is Hong Kong. Offer them 1/3 less to start. :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #648 of 1,285
If you want to demo a set of LCD3's or LCD2's at headphone.com.hk, go to there Mong Kok Flagship shop.
Many more amps , cables etc for you to test then the central store.

And yes.. you can make them move on price :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #649 of 1,285
Wow, tons of stuff there.
It looks like they have raised the price of the LCD2 rose over the original US price.
How is pricing in Hong Kong, it is fair to compare it with the U.S. price?

Thank you guys,

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #650 of 1,285
Pricing in HK... ? depends if you walk in with cash 
bigsmile_face.gif

I got quite a nice discount on my LCD3's by paying cash, take no note of the price you see online.
Even with a little haggling you can get them down. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #651 of 1,285
Got it, cash is king 
bigsmile_face.gif

LCD3 is definitive interesting as well but it depends on my holiday budget.

undersys: If you don't mind please pm me the price you got on LCD3.
Thanks,

Sorry for off topic posts.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #652 of 1,285
Okay today the Burson Soloist arrived, and I did some listening comparisons with the DACmini to see how the LCD3 sound changed.

Already very pleased with the DACmini (except for the issue of the right channel cutting out at low volume), I didn't expect much improvement.  Holy cow.  The Soloist, even on the medium output setting, produces some tight @$$ bass.   Just listening to Abraham Laboriel thump the living funk out of his bass on Al Jarreau's "Look to the Rainbow" album.  Sat in the floor in a daze.  My wife walked in like, "what is wrong with you? how long have you been sitting there?"  Then it hit me that the entire album was over and I'd been completely sucked in.  Definitely a first for me.  So, let's just sum up the Soloist+LCD3 combination as incredibly involving with incredibly tight and extended bass.

I wonder if the high setting is even needed.  I don't hear much difference yet, but letting it break in.

Audio nirvana has definitely been achieved here...

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #654 of 1,285
Folks:

For those not following the speaker amp thread, I am bringing in the following over the next couple of weeks for a personal comparison test:

• Burson Conductor (which is the Soloist plus a very nice Sabre DAC) from the Cable Co library -- arriving 6/24.
  • Mjolnir -- expected to order by Monday, 6/24, arrive by 7/1.
  • Emotiva a-100 mini-x speaker amp -- arriving 6/24.
  • TBI Millennia speaker amp (plus a separate resistor box) -- expected to arrive by 6/28.
  • Odyssey Cyclops speaker amp -- will arrive soon after he finishes building it, hopeful to get it by 7/1.

I'm going to do a 15-30-day (depending on the trial period of each item) multi-amp comparison against my old Adcom GFP-555 pre-amp's headphone jack.  Should be some interesting July 4 fireworks for me.  May the best amp win. 

Note that anybody interested in joining me just outside of Jefferson, MD to listen to this agglomeration of electron pushers should PM me.  I know Preproman has expressed an interest, but anybody else is welcome as well. 

Gary

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #655 of 1,285
Quote:
The Soloist, even on the medium output setting, produces some tight @$$ bass.

Soloist is awesome with the LCD line.  I would add that if you like it now, what until its at full temp.  Class A and cold just don't mix.  As for gain, only use as much as you need to be as loud as you want.  If on low you can't go wide open. stay there.  Gain != Power.

On the speaker amps, I thought the Soloist was better than the First Watt F3 for the LCD line.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #656 of 1,285
Quote:
Okay today the Burson Soloist arrived, and I did some listening comparisons with the DACmini to see how the LCD3 sound changed.

Already very pleased with the DACmini (except for the issue of the right channel cutting out at low volume), I didn't expect much improvement.  Holy cow.  The Soloist, even on the medium output setting, produces some tight @$$ bass.   Just listening to Abraham Laboriel thump the living funk out of his bass on Al Jarreau's "Look to the Rainbow" album.  Sat in the floor in a daze.  My wife walked in like, "what is wrong with you? how long have you been sitting there?"  Then it hit me that the entire album was over and I'd been completely sucked in.  Definitely a first for me.  So, let's just sum up the Soloist+LCD3 combination as incredibly involving with incredibly tight and extended bass.

I wonder if the high setting is even needed.  I don't hear much difference yet, but letting it break in.

Audio nirvana has definitely been achieved here...

I had the same experience with the DACmini, but with the LCD-2 rev2's. I was pretty satisfied with the mini on it's own. However I felt there could be some improvement in bass presence, and general "tightness" throughout the spectrum. I was thinking the LCD's needed more wattage, as the DACmini specs are less than what Audeze recommends. 

So then using the DACmini's DAC section and an Audio-GD SA-31 amplifier. That sucker pumps out 8 watts at 50 ohms, fully discrete, nice amp. Some one on the SA-31 thread the other day called it a "big block V8" for your headphones. Anyway- the difference with that amp....WOW. Hot damn. Now we are getting somewhere. The improvement over the DACmini on it's own was more than substantial. I don't know the exact specs, etc of the Soloist but it sounds like you have the same sort of result vs. DACmini as all-in-one. 

Well since then I also got my hands on the SA-1.32 DAC that matches the amp. Another slight improvement to treble energy and adds lots of "life" to vocals and "jangle" to guitars. That combo with the 2.2's was nearly spot-on for my preferences. The DACmini DAC section still, is no slouch however.

After all this is when I decided to go full bore for that last bit and traded up the 2.2's for the LCD-3.....which should be arriving any minute now! Today! I can't wait....

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #657 of 1,285
Has anyone tried the LCD-3's with the Objective2 + ObjectiveDAC (O2/ODAC) combo?  

If so, how'd it sound?  

Also, what gain would you guys recommend on the O2/ODAC for the LCD-3's?  

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #658 of 1,285
Hello, how are you?
I'm planning to get the LCD-3 soon, so, I need an advice for the amplification.
I read about 10 pages of this thread, however I think that wouldn't be a bad idea asking something here.
Right now I have a HeadAmp GS-1 with upgraded modules and a Little Dot SL MK-IVSE.
I will stay with the GS-1 for a quite good time, but, may I ask you, between HeadAmp GS-X, Woo Audio WA22 and Woo Audio WA5, what do you recommend?
And, if you don't mind me asking, why?

Sorry for get in the thread like that, I'm really new in Head-fi. Also sorry for the bad english.

Thank you so much for reading this.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #659 of 1,285
Not even close, GS-X by a land slide for the LCD line. Because the Woo is simply too fuzzy and slow for Audeze cans, at this price range

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #660 of 1,285
Quote:
Not even close, GS-X by a land slide for the LCD line. Because the Woo is simply too fuzzy and slow for Audeze cans, at this price range

Thank you so much for the answer!
By "Not even close, GS-X by a land slide for the LCD line" you meant that the GS-X is quite better than those Woo?
Could you be more clear in what it means in the sound?

Thank you so much, and sorry for asking that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back