Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #376 of 9,207

Quote:
Sounds like enough grunt, about the same as my Phoenix. A quick check says it'll be 499 pounds when it goes on sale. That's about Concerto money with a DAC included, though it remains to be seen if that's any good.

The DAC in the M1 HPA is USB-only, but they have a multi-input matching DAC as well:

Oddly, the M1 DAC offers balanced outputs, but the HPA is limited to single-ended use.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #377 of 9,207

Quote:
There have been comments about P1U x LCD2.

Quote:
immtbiker used a luxman P1 I believe. check the behemoth lcd-2 thread.

Thanks, but there wasn't much that I could see in the thread regarding the Luxman P-1u and the LCD-2s. Mind, it is a long thread and I could have missed some other comments...
Any posters got something to add in regard to the Luxman P-1u and the LCD-2s?

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #378 of 9,207
Quote:
Thanks, but there wasn't much that I could see in the thread regarding the Luxman P-1u and the LCD-2s. Mind, it is a long thread and I could have missed some other comments...
Any posters got something to add in regard to the Luxman P-1u and the LCD-2s?

There was a note on them not pairing well, being too bright, in the HE-6 loaner program thread.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #380 of 9,207

Quote:
There was a note on them not pairing well, being too bright, in the HE-6 loaner program thread.

That was my general impression when I listened to the combo at the local meet.  The material I used also really got harsh in the treble on the T1's with the P-1u.  To my ears, it also didn't play really well to the LCD-2's strengths in the mids...it sounded somewhat thin and non-organic.  Take this with the world's largest grain of salt, however, since it was at a meet, so not ideal conditions.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #381 of 9,207
Thanks, Equus. Like you say, there were a few variables that could have effected your experience with the LCD-2/Luxman combo. However, the information you have provided gives a good starting point. It will be interesting to read how other Headfiers fare with the Luxman in combination with the LCD-2s.
Curiouser and curiouser!

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #382 of 9,207
Yup, lots of variables.  IMO, these aren't cans that really blow you away with a distinctive eye-popping sound signature and they're not closed, so it's pretty easy to for the rig, material, or environment, to make a difference.  Of course, some of the "negative" things in material could actually be part of the material and not something "wrong" with the rig too.  And, as in most things, there are going to be differing opinions because of differing perceptions.  The behemoth LCD-2 thread itself is a prime example. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #384 of 9,207

Quote:
That was my general impression when I listened to the combo at the local meet.  The material I used also really got harsh in the treble on the T1's with the P-1u.  To my ears, it also didn't play really well to the LCD-2's strengths in the mids...it sounded somewhat thin and non-organic.  Take this with the world's largest grain of salt, however, since it was at a meet, so not ideal conditions.

Quote:
Yup, lots of variables.  IMO, these aren't cans that really blow you away with a distinctive eye-popping sound signature and they're not closed, so it's pretty easy to for the rig, material, or environment, to make a difference.  Of course, some of the "negative" things in material could actually be part of the material and not something "wrong" with the rig too.  And, as in most things, there are going to be differing opinions because of differing perceptions.  The behemoth LCD-2 thread itself is a prime example. 
wink_face.gif

The set-up was:
Meridian G08.1 Known for soomth sound
ELF Super Helix Gold cable XLR (gold plated copper), sound very warm, and more organic than my Zu Varial XLR
Luxman P-1u
T1 with stock cable
VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables (not best match to the CDP, but not a bright cable)

Look, there is nothing harsh or bright sounding in the chain except the P1u

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #385 of 9,207
I have the P-1 and never found it to emphasize any brightness in headphones or recordings. Usually, the opposite. I feel it is generally a good match with brighter, peaky phones.

I will be able to listen to the LCD-2s with the P-1 extensively when I get back from my trip next week. I will post my impressions.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #386 of 9,207
Audio-GD Roc (Balanced/acss fed by Ref 5)

I am finding amazing synergy with the above amp and my LCD-2's, with one point....I needed to change the bias voltage on the Roc to 12v to achieve the awesomeness of the LCD-2.

so +1 for that combo, I've been loving it ever since I made the change, and its not hard to do at all.  

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #387 of 9,207
I did listen my T1 (not LCD-2) at home again after the meet with P-1u...humm...still, bright. To be technically correct: the presentation only warmer than other SS amp as whole, but it does  emphasize HF, which make me pay more attention them. Some not ideal recorded CD become little unbareble like Sinead O'connor's Troy, I feel little burning in my ear.

I also supprise to see good senergy between Cyber 20 and T1. Just to show I am not bad mouthing just about anything.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #388 of 9,207

Quote:
I have the P-1 and never found it to emphasize any brightness in headphones or recordings. Usually, the opposite. I feel it is generally a good match with brighter, peaky phones.

I will be able to listen to the LCD-2s with the P-1 extensively when I get back from my trip next week. I will post my impressions.

Cool, it'll be interesting to see if you hear any differences.  We all have different ears, so some differing opinions is inevitable.  It'll be good to hear other viewpoints!

Quote:

The set-up was:
Meridian G08.1 Known for soomth sound
ELF Super Helix Gold cable XLR (gold plated copper), sound very warm, and more organic than my Zu Varial XLR
Luxman P-1u
T1 with stock cable
VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables (not best match to the CDP, but not a bright cable)

Heh, my comment about the variables wasn't specific to the P-1u you brought to the meet, but in general.  It could be taken specifically to the P-1u when you consider that I was using an unusual song to audition the rig that has a very bright piano run.  Thanks for clarifying the setup.  The additional info may be useful to someone.

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #389 of 9,207
As I continue to wait my turn, have any of the lucky LCD-2 owners heard them out of a RudiStor RPX-33 yet?

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #390 of 9,207
Quote:

Yes- the audio chain you describe is good. Methinks it could be the source audio. 

Quote:

Yes- I don't think I have ever heard a bright piece of Luxman amplification equipment. In fact, as you say, they always err a little on the warm side.
It would be great to read your comments on the LCD-2 and Luxman. Please post them on your return.

Quote:
I did listen my T1 (not LCD-2) at home again after the meet with P-1u...humm...still, bright. To be technically correct: the presentation only warmer than other SS amp as whole, but it does  emphasize HF, which make me pay more attention them. Some not ideal recorded CD become little unbareble like Sinead O'connor's Troy, I feel little burning in my ear.
 I also supprise to see good senergy between Cyber 20 and T1. Just to show I am not bad mouthing just about anything.

So, are you saying that the Luxman solid state headphone amp sounded warmer than another solid state headphone amp, but bright in comparison to a tube headphone amp? If so, wouldn't that be a tubes Vs solid state issue, rather a Luxman P-1u issue?

Quote:
Cool, it'll be interesting to see if you hear any differences.  We all have different ears, so some differing opinions is inevitable.  It'll be good to hear other viewpoints!
Heh, my comment about the variables wasn't specific to the P-1u you brought to the meet, but in general.  It could be taken specifically to the P-1u when you consider that I was using an unusual song to audition the rig that has a very bright piano run.  Thanks for clarifying the setup.  The additional info may be useful to someone.

I agree Equus, the music could have been be the culprit. Also, and I don't want to go down this road too far, piano from a digital source is notoriously hard to get right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back