Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #406 of 9,207
Great input from all.
Another interesting thing - the older Luxman P-1 (on paper) has more power. 32 Ohm = 1 W+1 W and 64 Ohm = 500 mW+500 mW. Huh? The P-1u is a Class A amp. My (limited) experience with Class A designs is that they have plenty 'o grunt, despite what the output figures may state. They offer a really big, impressive sound.

However, unless Luxman are under-rating the specs of their gear, the P-1u may still not have the output to drive the LCD-2s to their their full potential.

Arrggghh. So many variables!

The Violectric, at least on paper and from what I've read on this site, could be the ticket. A bonus, it's much cheaper too!

PS Eletropop- love that Zappa quote.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #407 of 9,207

Yet you were having some problems with certain piano sounds creating listening fatigue, was that with the EF5? I thought that the LCD-2/EF5 combo sounded good as well, but I could not listen for too long at a time either. To me it was a combination of listening fatigue and the clamping of the pads on my eyeglasses on my temples. I could never tell which was worse but the combination was a little too much for me.

My LCD-2 sound less fatiguing with my EF5 amp than my SAC KH1000 amp. I'm trying to stretch out my headband slowly over time.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #408 of 9,207

Quote:

The Violectric, at least on paper and from what I've read on this site, could be the ticket. A bonus, it's much cheaper too!

Yep, My Violectric that I bought specially for the LCD-2 is sitting here waiting for them to arrive whenever my number comes up.  Luckily I did hear them on one before i ordered it, drove them perfectly but i have to admit i am normally not a solid state guy so different sound than i am used to, very fast.

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #409 of 9,207
News: the CTH drives the LCD-2, but not  perfectly. Lower mids and below are a bit veiled and mushy. Voices are very natural sounding though. Instrument separation is fair but not great. Think I need more power.

Still a fun listen, but not matching my O2/Exstata combo yet. It is intriguing though -  I feel there is more to be had from the LCD-2.

Anyone selling an EHHA?

:)

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #411 of 9,207
I am going to be buying more SS or hybrid amps to try to find something that can compete with the Stacker II+LCD-2, so far nada.  Stacker II is the best I have ever heard, I really cant find any faults.  Most of all I am just curious if any SS offering out there can compete with the SII+LCD2.  Next on my List to try and compare will probably be a Violetric v181 or a Apex Peak. Of course any Cavalli amp that comes out in the future I will be trying out as well.  :D  

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #412 of 9,207

Quote:
Weird, my LCD-2 sound nice with my EF5 amp.

It muffled them up really bad. Bass became overly strong and monotonic. No high frequency detail retrieveal.. Mid range was out of focus and everything just seemed to lack the basic definition. Tried out of the Hifiman HM-801, Linn Classik Music and the iPod 160gb classic.
Actually they sounded worse even straight out of the 801 compared to the iPod.

With iPod, everything is clean and comes out naturally with the phone's characteristic punch, but without emphasis on practically anything. I can hear notes as well. What lacks is the ultimate control I'd like to have. But maybe what I'm expecting to hear on some recordings isn't actually there? I don't know :)

@gogogasgas

Thanks, hehe. Listening to Grand Wazoo at the moment and I can only now tell why all the Zappa fans dig Erroneous so much :)

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #413 of 9,207

Quote:
News: the CTH drives the LCD-2, but not  perfectly. Lower mids and below are a bit veiled and mushy. Voices are very natural sounding though. Instrument separation is fair but not great. Think I need more power.

Still a fun listen, but not matching my O2/Exstata combo yet. It is intriguing though -  I feel there is more to be had from the LCD-2.

Anyone selling an EHHA?

:)

I won't hide the fact that the EHHa will give you more probably with the LCD-2 than the CTh, but have you tried the RCA clear top 6CG7 in the CTh and replaced R18 with jumpers to have lowest possible output impedace on the amp?

Tigz, I only had a short brief listen to the LCD-2 with the Liquid Gold a few weeks back. In a week or two i should have some more head time with this combo and i will be able to tell you howthe new Cavalli Solid State amp will sound. Current indications are very very positive indeed.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #414 of 9,207

Quote:
I am going to be buying more SS or hybrid amps to try to find something that can compete with the Stacker II+LCD-2, so far nada.  Stacker II is the best I have ever heard, I really cant find any faults.  Most of all I am just curious if any SS offering out there can compete with the SII+LCD2.  Next on my List to try and compare will probably be a Violetric v181 or a Apex Peak. Of course any Cavalli amp that comes out in the future I will be trying out as well.  :D  

Your findings are valued.
smile.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #415 of 9,207
Quote:
Yep, My Violectric that I bought specially for the LCD-2 is sitting here waiting for them to arrive whenever my number comes up.  Luckily I did hear them on one before i ordered it, drove them perfectly but i have to admit i am normally not a solid state guy so different sound than i am used to, very fast.

Great to know. Hope you can share further findings on the Violectric with the forum when you get your LCD-2s.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #416 of 9,207
Thanks Sachu. I am no DIYer, but will ask a friend about the mod.

It is true what people say about the LCD-2 becoming addictive. The sound is very visceral, and completely different in presentation to the smooth and beautifully integrated O2Mk1.

Switching back to the O2 now, there seems to be a high-frequency sheen/edge to everything that I never noticed before. The O2/Exstata setup used to sound dark. Compared to the LCD-2, it is bright. But the LCD-2 sounds so natural in the mids and highs. It's an aural paradox!

Looking forward to unravelling it further.

Quote:

I won't hide the fact that the EHHa will give you more probably with the LCD-2 than the CTh, but have you tried the RCA clear top 6CG7 in the CTh and replaced R18 with jumpers to have lowest possible output impedace on the amp?

Tigz, I only had a short brief listen to the LCD-2 with the Liquid Gold a few weeks back. In a week or two i should have some more head time with this combo and i will be able to tell you howthe new Cavalli Solid State amp will sound. Current indications are very very positive indeed.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #417 of 9,207
yeah..good call.

Ethan's been very quiet for a while now..hope this is a sign that he is liking the Stacker 2 and is busy listneing rather than being bothered by posting on the forum. :)

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #418 of 9,207

Quote:
My LCD-2 sound less fatiguing with my EF5 amp than my SAC KH1000 amp. I'm trying to stretch out my headband slowly over time.

An amp doesn't have to be underpowered to sound fatiguing with the wrong cans.  Synergy, synergy, synergy. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #419 of 9,207
Just thought I'd throw in that I have no complaints about my Phoenix/LCD-2 pairing.  I have, however, tweaked my system to be a little more lively, which works well with all my headphones. I've set the bias in the Phoenix to 14V, which is the lowest I want to go as lower makes the Magnums fatiguing and isn't going to benefit the HD-800s if I decide to compare them.

Just for fun, I plugged the LCD-2s into the Sparrow, and the result is quite good, all things considering.  The music comes as a wall of sound, and there isn't as much genuine punch in the bass and things get congested somewhat when the music gets busy, but it doesn't distort and is punchy enough.  If the LCD-2 weren't so damn big I'd have a good transportable rig with the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back