Amp or Amp/DAC?
Jun 19, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #31 of 41

I doubt that Apple will be daft enough to actually go through with it. It would mean that you need to have headphones with a DAC inbuilt, and the point of that is beyond stupidity. The current connection types we have are more than adequate to stream analogue audio. Instead of being dumb, they could just include a good credible, 24/192 enabled DAC/amp combo into their products. If they did, that would most probably blow every DAP straight out of the market. But that would be going in the right direction which Apple has really not been doing lately.

I think the primary reason for not including a good credible, 24/192 enabled DAC/amp combo into their products is because the primary objective on (all) smartphones seems to be to make them ever smaller, yet the public wants bigger and bigger screen sizes all the time. I think the phablet has hit the max size of what can possibly fit into a pocket already. This Apple cert thing is pushing me to go the Fiio X3 route.

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #32 of 41

I think the primary reason for not including a good credible, 24/192 enabled DAC/amp combo into their products is because the primary objective on (all) smartphones seems to be to make them ever smaller, yet the public wants bigger and bigger screen sizes all the time. I think the phablet has hit the max size of what can possibly fit into a pocket already. This Apple cert thing is pushing me to go the Fiio X3 route.

These opamps, DACs and voltage controller micro IC can be as small as you like them to be. Look at the Geek Out. It's tiny and look at the size of the chips that it uses. I find it hard to believe that a company as big as Apple cannot afford to use the tiny little chips in their already humongously over priced devices. I think the thought is not for the size or any problem to do with the phone/player/tablet at all. It is a scheme to try and make more money from the poor souls who fall for all the Apple hype (no offence to anyone of course, just my humble opinion). They exclude the use of a dedicated DAC and amp for audio and just sell equally over priced "Apple only club" headphones with in built DAC/amps. This way when a person what "OMG 24/192 HI-RES ALL THE WAY MAN!!!" audio, then they will have to fork out $2000 for audiophile Apple certified cans, that as opposed to $200 Apple certified 16/44.1 earbuds. It's a stupid scheme and will probably fail. 

In conclusion.... see my previous post ^^

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #33 of 41
Im with you mate! Im down about AU$250 so far. That includes the can, dac/amp and various other electrical components for my custom cables and mods.

You won't be disappointed with the E17 that's for sure. I auditioned the E11, C&C BH and the Just Audio AHA 120 yesterday. Lets just say that the AHA 120 is a "not so little and portable" beast of a amp and it pair well with everything I tried but it's about $500. Putting that out of the way, I was auditioning the E11 and C&C BH using my Moto G and then comparing it to the E17 using the OTG cable. The E17 blows them out of the water, not by a tremendous margin but a definite victor to my ears. 

Ah no sorry I didn't make it clear I meant I got the e18 which I may of liked more or less than the e17 but I'll probably never find out. It was some of the reviews that changed my mind : http://soundnews.ro/2013/12/02/8653/ like that one for instance but like I said there were some people that didn't like the sound so it's personal I guess I just thought it might suit me. They are very similar anyway in some ways...

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #34 of 41

Im with you mate! Im down about AU$250 so far. That includes the can, dac/amp and various other electrical components for my custom cables and mods.

You won't be disappointed with the E17 that's for sure. I auditioned the E11, C&C BH and the Just Audio AHA 120 yesterday. Lets just say that the AHA 120 is a "not so little and portable" beast of a amp and it pair well with everything I tried but it's about $500. Putting that out of the way, I was auditioning the E11 and C&C BH using my Moto G and then comparing it to the E17 using the OTG cable. The E17 blows them out of the water, not by a tremendous margin but a definite victor to my ears. 

Hmm well I posted a comment this morning about 4 hours ago and it had a link in it so it has to be moderated so ill do it without the link : sorry I wasn't clear but I actually got the e18 I found it was kind of 50 50 with people liking the sound and the e18 did have a better battery and a few other features suiting me (not too bothered about EQing stuff to much) - at the time I was thinking after 6 months or so that might become a problem. I was thinking the sound might be better for me as well and some people do rate it as better. I am just a bit peeved I bought a 32ohm dt770 and it basically was not very loud on many things on my s3 and lacked bass. I hear despite it being 32ohms it needs lots of current to run well not only was it £10 more than the 80ohm but I had to get the velour pads for £25 as well now I find out I should of got the 80ohm - bah!

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 41
Ah no sorry I didn't make it clear I meant I got the e18 which I may of liked more or less than the e17 but I'll probably never find out. It was some of the reviews that changed my mind : http://soundnews.ro/2013/12/02/8653/ like that one for instance but like I said there were some people that didn't like the sound so it's personal I guess I just thought it might suit me. They are very similar anyway in some ways...

Ah ok! The E18 should be a great purchase also! Of course you get what you pay for =D
But wary that the reviewer in that review used the LDC-3 as their can of choice, which is an extremely transparent and detailed headphone. So you must take all that with a grain of salt as what he is explaining might not exactly translate to 99% of the rest of the headphone on the market.

Hmm well I posted a comment this morning about 4 hours ago and it had a link in it so it has to be moderated so ill do it without the link : sorry I wasn't clear but I actually got the e18 I found it was kind of 50 50 with people liking the sound and the e18 did have a better battery and a few other features suiting me (not too bothered about EQing stuff to much) - at the time I was thinking after 6 months or so that might become a problem. I was thinking the sound might be better for me as well and some people do rate it as better. I am just a bit peeved I bought a 32ohm dt770 and it basically was not very loud on many things on my s3 and lacked bass. I hear despite it being 32ohms it needs lots of current to run well not only was it £10 more than the 80ohm but I had to get the velour pads for £25 as well now I find out I should of got the 80ohm - bah!

The DTs are all pretty tough to drive.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #36 of 41
Ah ok! The E18 should be a great purchase also! Of course you get what you pay for =D
But wary that the reviewer in that review used the LDC-3 as their can of choice, which is an extremely transparent and detailed headphone. So you must take all that with a grain of salt as what he is explaining might not exactly translate to 99% of the rest of the headphone on the market.

The DTs are all pretty tough to drive.

Yer I'm now thinking a 80ohm might be better for me...sounds are nice I do like the e18 style made my headphones rattle for the first time hmmm...hopefully I can exchange.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #37 of 41
Yer I'm now thinking a 80ohm might be better for me...sounds are nice I do like the e18 style made my headphones rattle for the first time hmmm...hopefully I can exchange.

I had a listen to the DT770 250Ohms last night. I loved them! My E17 can drive them pretty well but they do scale up much better because I also drove them with the Just Audio AHA 120 and the low end became perfect but the highs and mids stayed about the same. They're definitely going to be the next cans I buy. But if I do decide to through some cash at them, then I will probably will be buying them together with a Fiio E12.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #38 of 41
I had a listen to the DT770 250Ohms last night. I loved them! My E17 can drive them pretty well but they do scale up much better because I also drove them with the Just Audio AHA 120 and the low end became perfect but the highs and mids stayed about the same. They're definitely going to be the next cans I buy. But if I do decide to through some cash at them, then I will probably will be buying them together with a Fiio E12.

Yes I guess I'm just attracted to the people saying the 80 ohm have more bass and are better at higher volumes....

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #39 of 41
Yes I guess I'm just attracted to the people saying the 80 ohm have more bass and are better at higher volumes....

I think the reason that they have "better bass" bass is because you don't need a better amp to properly drive the low end. If you look at the impedance curve of the 250Ohm DT770s you'll see that the impedance goes up as high as 330Ohms in the low end.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #40 of 41
I think the reason that they have "better bass" bass is because you don't need a better amp to properly drive the low end. If you look at the impedance curve of the 250Ohm DT770s you'll see that the impedance goes up as high as 330Ohms in the low end.

Yes well I'm no expert I'm just going by what I read but the 32 ohm have less bass than the 80 ohm they say. Anyway lucky there is a pair in town I can try out this time before I try to swap...

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #41 of 41
Yes well I'm no expert I'm just going by what I read but the 32 ohm have less bass than the 80 ohm they say. Anyway lucky there is a pair in town I can try out this time before I try to swap...

That's always a good thing. I had to go with my gut instinct when I bought these Taskstars but I wasn't disappointed. I was going to buy the Superlux 668B next but when I listened to them there were not at all what I expected. I've ready so many good reviews about the 668Bs and they didn't sound anything like whats been described, which was surprising and also relieving. That's why I'm skipping them and going straight for the DT770 250Ohm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back