Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #1,981 of 2,004
There is an updated post pinned to r/AmazonMusic
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmazonMusi...n_music_and_how_to_get_true_lossless_hdultra/

Of course this quote from the post is utter BS, esp. when referring 7 year old article, ASIO always worked bit-perfectly and with the introduction of OS native WASAPI exclusive you don't even need device specific driver to support one. The whole point of bit-perfect is that you can bypass that "internal processing" and send unaltered stream straight to the DAC.
Not my experience with the Windows Amazon Music app connected to my Linn MDSM/4 - every track shows at 24/192 there as that’s what my PC sound card was set at. I think Amazon‘s use of exclusive mode is flawed as the resolution delivered doesn’t change track by track as it should. My experience on my iPad and android phone connected to the Linn over usb is the same - they don’t change either.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #1,982 of 2,004
Not my experience with the Windows Amazon Music app connected to my Linn MDSM/4 - every track shows at 24/192 there as that’s what my PC sound card was set at. I think Amazon‘s use of exclusive mode is flawed as the resolution delivered doesn’t change track by track as it should. My experience on my iPad and android phone connected to the Linn over usb is the same - they don’t change either.

That's what I see as well on iOS/iPadOS via USB and most recent Android DAPs (that bypass 48 kHz SRC). Everything plays at 192 kHz regardless of source rate or the indicated rate in the Amazon app.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #1,983 of 2,004
That's what I see as well on iOS/iPadOS via USB and most recent Android DAPs (that bypass 48 kHz SRC). Everything plays at 192 kHz regardless of source rate or the indicated rate in the Amazon app.
Yeah, and you shouldn’t trust what the Amazon Music app says it’s playing at either, unless you want to take a kind view and say that’s what it thinks will be passed to the external DAC which it isn’t in my experience.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #1,984 of 2,004
Can anyone who gets Amazon HD/Ultra properly please check my album, and tell me the bitrate it plays at? It was recorded at 16/44.1 specifically back in 2019.

I usually don't post this info much but it should be on all streaming services at this rate. In the past, I have seen Amazon list it as both Ultra HD and HD. I also wrote to them years ago to correct this, a week ago it was listed as Ultra, but now it says HD, which is CD quality correct?

Roon Album Info.png

Just posting this as a follow-up to my earlier post, for clarity. I would just like to see what it streams at for folks who can get Amazon to play nice with their gear.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #1,985 of 2,004
Can anyone who gets Amazon HD/Ultra properly please check my album, and tell me the bitrate it plays at? It was recorded at 16/44.1 specifically back in 2019.

I usually don't post this info much but it should be on all streaming services at this rate. In the past, I have seen Amazon list it as both Ultra HD and HD. I also wrote to them years ago to correct this, a week ago it was listed as Ultra, but now it says HD, which is CD quality correct?

Roon Album Info.png
Just posting this as a follow-up to my earlier post, for clarity. I would just like to see what it streams at for folks who can get Amazon to play nice with their gear.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers!!
Hi, here in the UK a search for it shows two albums, one HD and one UHD. The latter has three tracks as UHD 24/44.1 while the rest are HD 16/44.1, as are all the tracks in the HD album.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #1,987 of 2,004
Thanks for that, I will have to write them and ask where in the world the ultra HD came from as I never did anything higher than 16/44.1, lol

Much appreciated!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #1,988 of 2,004
Apologies…

I have not used Amazon Music for a long time playing its native app on Apple devices connected via USB to a DAC. You are correct and I was wrong. It does indeed peg the connection to mas sample rate. So no bit perfect in that usage mode.

I am right though that the AM native app Alexacasting to a WiiM streamer sends bit perfect streams.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,989 of 2,004
Apologies…

I have not used Amazon Music for a long time playing its native app on Apple devices connected via USB to a DAC. You are correct and I was wrong. It does indeed peg the connection to mas sample rate. So no bit perfect in that usage mode.

I am right though that the AM native app Alexacasting to a WiiM streamer sends bit perfect streams.
No problem, thanks for confirming. You are indeed correct about the AM native app using AlexaCast to a WiiM streamer being bit perfect up to 24/192. I think WiiM are still unique in achieving that, even beating Amazon‘s own devices which experience suggests to me max out at 24/48.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #1,990 of 2,004
Apologies…

It's all good... :wink:

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #1,991 of 2,004
That IS the problem, with Amazon player, not Windows. It does not use bit-perfect on that OS, never did. Try foobar2000, JRiver, Qobuz, Tidal, all of them can utilize bit-perfect exclusive mode, Amazon being high tech company either cannot find a programmer to do that, or for some reason doing it intentionally, may be trying to hide real bit rate. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,992 of 2,004
That IS the problem, with Amazon player, not Windows. It does not use bit-perfect on that OS, never did. Try foobar2000, JRiver, Qobuz, Tidal, all of them can utilize bit-perfect exclusive mode, Amazon being high tech company either cannot find a programmer to do that, or for some reason doing it intentionally, may be trying to hide real bit rate. 🤷‍♂️
Fair enough, that wasn’t my reading of what you said, but it looks like we agree that the AM app doesn’t do as expected and the others do. I don’t think they’re hiding the bitrate (or the bit depth and sample rate) as their third party API allows bit perfect playback, and indeed the AM app is bitperfect using AlexaCast to WiiM devices.

Where I do think they’re masking info is when it comes to casting where they don’t show the resolution and you need to rely on an endpoint like your DAC/amp connected to a WiiM to see what the resolution is. In that case, I suspect if they did show it you’d see none of their own devices like Echos support anymore than 24/48 (which conveniently ticks the UHD box) even though their music service can deliver up to 24/192.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #1,993 of 2,004
Amazon being high tech company either cannot find a programmer to do that, or for some reason doing it intentionally, may be trying to hide real bit rate. 🤷‍♂️
Amazon just does not care. Tragically, this is unlikely to change since 99.9% of Amazon Music listeners don't even know what we are talking about here...

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,994 of 2,004
Amazon just does not care. Tragically, this is unlikely to change since 99.9% of Amazon Music listeners don't even know what we are talking about here...
What was the point of introducing lossless then, could just stick with mp3 they always had, I just don't get that company, with so much money, so little brain.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #1,995 of 2,004
coming out of the Eversolo USB into the SMSL su-9 the Amazon App in the Eversolo matches the bitrate on the front of the, or visa versa I guess SMSL, dropping from 192 on Amazon Music to BBC Sounds 6 Music reports the lo res stream correctly & is actually as you would expect quite jarring. As soon as I go back to the PC it is just locked at whatever is set in windows so no bitperfect there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back